Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Munster on Saturday

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts

Munster on Saturday

I thought Munster were crap on Saturday and got more than they deserved from the game. They're spoilers, no flair at all to their game, they relied almost totally on O'Gara and had nothing to offer at all when it came to runing at people. According to the stats they beat 1 defender all day as opposed to Toulouse's 18. I've never been as disappointed with any team in my life and hopefully this'll dispell the myth that Munster are a good side to watch...
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

SLK.
    That was the most unfair critisism of any team and the biggest load rubbish I have ever ever seen on this forum.

First of all Munster are no spoilers. Thay conceded minimal amount of penalties when under intense pressure, a thing which is incredibly difficult to do. Unlike thier french opponents in the first half I might add.

Munster have no flair? Did you not see the tries against Glouester or the second try against Leicester? Munster base thier game on a 1-10 philosophy because they don't have a speedy back division. But that does not mean they don't have flair. O.K. granted we don't have a Poitrenaud at full back or an O'Driscoll at centre but whay they do have is loads of heart and determination and no little skill either. Semi finals are going to be difficult games so your "stat" about only beating one defender is down to the occasion.

How could any Munster fan be disappointed with the teams performance on Saturday. They gave 110%. They were absolutely flat on thier feet at the end. Only one team has ever given Toulouse a run for thier money on thier own patch and that is Munster. God help Limerick City this season when you will be "disapointed" after the team gives 110%.

How many people share your opinion?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Watching recording of the match half asleep saturday night so may not have taken it all in.

Munster have soem serious limitations especially at full back as i thought Staunton particularily poor on saturday. On the otherhand their pack is probably better now that galway & Cloghessy have retired - O'Connell & O'Callaghan are savage players.

Anyone see Leinster blow it yesterday? Leinster had cushy home draws to french teams from 1/4 final to final itself which you couldn't see Munster blowing.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Squad Selection

Well they left Mossy Lawlor out of the squad and didnt start Jason Holland. They are the two real speed merchants and flair players. They went for the brute force of Henderson and Mullins which they prob. needed for their defence.
    Oh no not them again

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have no interest in rugby, but listening to the BRb and other sports programs over the weekend, I am a bit puzzled about something.
    Are Munster and Leinster representative teams?
    I get the impression they are not, and if thats true, how come they are called Munster and Leinster?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
    How could any Munster fan be disappointed with the teams performance on Saturday. They gave 110%.
    Easily, they never tried to take the game to Toulouse and got exactly what they deserved from the match - nothing! If Toulouse hadn't made so many unforced handling errors in the first half they woulda been outta sight. I'm not disputing that our lads gave their all and I salute them for that. But they were negative, horribly so and it would have been robbery if either of O'Gara's late drop goal attempts had gone over. I'm from Munster and would have loved to have seen them win but on the evidence of Saturday they certainly didn't deserve too. Don't let loyalty blind you.

God help Limerick City this season when you will be "disapointed" after the team gives 110%.
    For starters it's just Limerick, the 'city' was dropped years ago and as long as they perform to the best of their ability I'll be perfectly happy. I've never come away from a Limerick game feeling as disappointed as I did after watching Saturday's action. Munster can play much, much better than they did but they restricted themselves with a tactical straightjacket that stifled them going forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Originally posted by sadloserkid
    Easily, they never tried to take the game to Toulouse and got exactly what they deserved from the match - nothing! If Toulouse hadn't made so many unforced handling errors in the first half they woulda been outta sight. I'm not disputing that our lads gave their all and I salute them for that. But they were negative, horribly so and it would have been robbery if either of O'Gara's late drop goal attempts had gone over. I'm from Munster and would have loved to have seen them win but on the evidence of Saturday they certainly didn't deserve too. Don't let loyalty blind you.

For starters it's just Limerick, the 'city' was dropped years ago and as long as they perform to the best of their ability I'll be perfectly happy. I've never come away from a Limerick game feeling as disappointed as I did after watching Saturday's action. Munster can play much, much better than they did but they restricted themselves with a tactical straightjacket that stifled them going forward.
    Toulose made all those handling errors for a good reason they - were under intense pressure all the times from the excellent Munster defense.

How the hell is trying to win the game being described as negative. Munster played a predominantly kicking game to keep things tight. that is just common sense not negativity.You go to the south of France trying to play an expansive game, no matter who you are, and you come home with a 40 or 50 point hammering. End of discussion.

A tactical straightjacket? How do a team with a tactical straightjacket come within 1 point of winning yet with only 1/4 of the possion. Toulouse were playing in thier own backyard they were bound to dominate. It was a superb tactical display. Don't get me wrong I think Toulouse deservered to win but Munster sure put in one hell of an effort and were a shade unlucky not to get the win.

The Limerick City mistake was a lapse of concentration and a schoolboy error , apologies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Originally posted by Conor74
    Disappointed? Folks, it's only rugby....
    Gutted actually.

I know, I know, im rising to the bait.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Don't get me wrong I think Toulouse deservered to win but Munster sure put in one hell of an effort
    Agreed

and were a shade unlucky not to get the win.
    Also agreed but while they were unlucky in the end I think it would have been a massive miscarriage of justice had they pulled it off. I was gutted at the end but like you said, it was a fair result

The Limerick City mistake was a lapse of concentration and a schoolboy error , apologies
    No apology required! I love this civil, decent discussion, it's rare enough on these boards sometimes but I think we're proving it can be done (take note Conor and oddboy!)

Disappointed? Folks, it's only rugby....
    Conor, don't start!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Munster tried as hard as ever but they're just too 1-dimensional to beat a team of Toulouse's class. From 1-10, they're one of the best teams in Europe but behind them they have no-one with the exception of Henderson (and let's face it, he's not exactly biggest flair player in the world!). Kelly, Staunton and Mullins aren't up to Heineken Cup standard (not that they ever got the ball anyway).

As for Leinster, that was the most pathetic, gutless display I have ever seen. Brian O'Meara should never play for Leinster again, absolutely terrible.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Originally posted by Schumi
    Munster tried as hard as ever but they're just too 1-dimensional to beat a team of Toulouse's class. From 1-10, they're one of the best teams in Europe but behind them they have no-one with the exception of Henderson (and let's face it, he's not exactly biggest flair player in the world!). Kelly, Staunton and Mullins aren't up to Heineken Cup standard (not that they ever got the ball anyway).

As for Leinster, that was the most pathetic, gutless display I have ever seen. Brian O'Meara should never play for Leinster again, absolutely terrible.
    Leinster should have won regardless of the kicking situation. Brian O'Meara ia a fine scrum half but he is not a kicker. Perpigan are lucky finalists imo and its all the more gut wrenching for Munster to see them in there. toulouse should win the final.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was ....

delighted they were both knocked out.

Egg ball chasers, hate the sport. the amount of air-time they get in the media is amazing.

RTE still doing the all-ireland league with 3 people and a dog looking on, while shafting our league at the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Re: i was ....

Originally posted by eoinh
    delighted they were both knocked out.

Egg ball chasers, hate the sport. the amount of air-time they get in the media is amazing.

RTE still doing the all-ireland league with 3 people and a dog looking on, while shafting our league at the same time.
    I'm glad your happy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Leinster should have won regardless of the kicking situation. Brian O'Meara ia a fine scrum half but he is not a kicker.
    I don't mean he was $hit because of his kicking, his scrum half play was rubbish as well. The contrast between his pass and the likes of Stringer's is amazing. The were so many occasions when he took so long to pass the ball out that Perpignan had no problems getting themselves set to defend. When O'Riordan came on for him, you could see the difference.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Leinster are a good half back pairing short of a good team. Munster are a centre and a winger short of a great team
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Originally posted by SÓCcfc
    Leinster are a good half back pairing short of a good team. Munster are a centre and a winger short of a great team
    Yeah, spot on!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    On that topic I still find it difficult to get really worked up for Munster games... I was born into a Shannon family and I'll die in a Shannon family too! (or maybe just in The Shannon)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Re: Re: i was ....

While I wasn't "delighted" they got knocked out, it didn't bother me.

Totally agree with the rest of the post though.

Would that have been the same 3 people and a dog that used to go to Munster games up until about 4 years ago (though everyone SWEARS they followed Munster for years..) before half the male population of Munster decided to buy the red rugby shirts?
    The reason Munster never got crowds before is because they never played meaningful matches. Whenever they played a touring team they got huge crowds. They're are thousands of rugby supporters in the province and always has been. Any Limerick derby would always get a crowd of 6,000-8,000. I'm sure slk will verify that. so there was always strong support in the province, not sure where leinster got the 46,000 fans all the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts

Re: Re: Re: i was ....

Any Limerick derby would always get a crowd of 6,000-8,000. I'm sure slk will verify that.
    Yeah I can verify that. Games between Shannon and either the light blue scum of Garryowen or the black and amber scum of Young Munster (now squatting in Division 2! ) always attracted crowds until Munster took off. In fact when Limerick Fc did their most recent groundhop it was mooted that they'd wind up in the home grounds of either Young Munster or Garryowen. Limerick city and certain parts of the county (Bruff, Galbally) have always had a strong rugby tradition and sizeable support.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by oddboy
    I have no interest in rugby, but listening to the BRb and other sports programs over the weekend, I am a bit puzzled about something.
    Are Munster and Leinster representative teams?
    I get the impression they are not, and if thats true, how come they are called Munster and Leinster?
    Anybody able to give me an answer on this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast