Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: ‽‽‽‽‽‽‽‽ What the Hell is That ‽‽‽‽‽‽‽‽

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

‽‽‽‽‽‽‽‽ What the Hell is That ‽‽‽‽‽‽‽‽

It goes by the name of 'interrobang' and is my new in vogue punctuation mark. I'm sick of the over-elaborate '?!' at the end of my hop-balls, it looks gay. But this interrobang is just brilliant, isn't it‽ Obviously you have this fella to serve the purpose on the hallowed foot.ie turf, but farther afield his appearances tend to be limited, and anyway I think interrobang does a great job of capturing the jokiness of a question. I just thought I'd share my discovery with the OT crew on foot.ie as a pertinent memento of our maelstrom of convivial fun, friction and frolics.

Hopefully a whizzard out there would know how one could get a short-cut for it on a keyboard? Its unstable footing on ctrl v is all too ephemeral for the sake of practicality. There's some info here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrobang. Or shur couldn't we always get dahamsta to make it an option on foot.ie‽

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    It goes by the name of 'interrobang' and is my new in vogue punctuation mark. I'm sick of the over-elaborate '?!' at the end of my hop-balls, it looks gay. But this interrobang is just brilliant, isn't it‽ Obviously you have this fella to serve the purpose on the hallowed foot.ie turf, but farther afield his appearances tend to be limited, and anyway I think interrobang does a great job of capturing the jokiness of a question. I just thought I'd share my discovery with the OT crew on foot.ie as a pertinent memento of our maelstrom of convivial fun, friction and frolics.

Hopefully a whizzard out there would know how one could get a short-cut for it on a keyboard? Its unstable footing on ctrl v is all too ephemeral for the sake of practicality. There's some info here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrobang. Or shur couldn't we always get dahamsta to make it an option on foot.ie‽

You lived a very sheltered life when growing up didn't you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    505 Posts
    And if you use the 'interrobang' like that on Foot.ie, all your posts will mysteriously disappear...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock MIB View Post
    You lived a very sheltered life when growing up didn't you.
    That's it! Now that I'm exposed to the world's splendour I just can't contain my exuberance. Frightful stuff. If only I'd seen everything by 18 and could just disengage from the world and luxuriate in my omniscience, oh well, awe and excitement it is.

(Especially at the prospect of being a party to mysteriously disappearing posts, they sound like an intriguing phenomenon to behold. )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    From Wikipedia:
    American Martin K. Speckter concocted the interrobang in 1962. As the head of an advertising agency, Speckter believed that advertisements would look better if......
    That was the point where my interest dropped.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

NEVER, EVER post under the influence of drugs, Kids!!‽!
    Quoting years at random since 1975

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    NEVER, EVER post under the influence of drugs, Kids!!‽!
    Jeez if you think that's me on drugs, you'll have a wonderfully wacky, yet intellectually enrapturing, surprise coming your way soon! I can see it now; 'Lads, what do ye think of the number nine, I think it's great altogether, much better than eight, nine just has a certain dulcet ring and entrancing mystique to it to set it apart. I love it, but eight, ugh, eight makes me wretch, such an entwined number, you don't know where it starts or finishes, rolling around the place like Mr.Blobby on laughing gas, peuh.'

Actually, maybe you're right Wolfie! Things could get out of hand.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baileban View Post
    is it just me or does anyone think kingdom hoop tries too hard to receive POTM nominations?
    Oooh, controversial!

Is there something in my style that particularly annoys you with my posts? (except for being long-winded, I really can't help that!) If so I'd like if you raised what it is, as it may be constructive in improving myself and to assuage your, to me trifling, concerns as to my 'errant' ways. Anyway, the fact no one has answered your question, either way, suggests a general ambivalence to the point, but I suppose I'm in the best position to provide an answer, which, as ever, I'll happily do so fully in the face of unrest.

No, I do not think I try too hard, or try at all, to be funny, or whatever it is that procures PotM superstardom. Rather, I believe that my posts are simply a manifestation of my personality - placid, a propensity to chat shyte, Strangeirish says a twisted and sprained mind, varied vocabulary, an insatiable curiousity that causes excitability, sound as a pound, and, to some at least, mildly entertaining. That is the cause of my posts genetics, if the effect is that this displays a desperate yearning for adulation from our cohorts then so be it.

If you think personifying a personality deserves to be denounced and ridiculed then it would be best if you changed the first letter of your username to T so people would know who you actually are. I think most have the common sense to realise that people are themselves on a forum. Arguably too much so in my case the odd time, but I'm accepted as such because I'm rarely offensive, and for some on the same wavelength the odd chortle is precipitated. If I couldn't be myself on a forum, and have to pander to the masses, I wouldn't see much point of it. Admittedly I sometimes get a sense of satisfaction out of making a post but that's just the same as being happy when (if!) I score a goal. There is a semblance of selfishness but mostly I'm happy to have contributed to the team. If I later get awarded with goal of the month then that is just a happy consequence, not the motivation.

I've been thoroughly honest and forthcoming in my reply, you could do with doing likewise in your retraction. Thank you.

(And before anyone asks, this is indeed another ill-fated attempt at a PotM contender. Damn it, I shouldn't have said that! )
    Last edited by kingdom hoop; 02/10/2007 at 8:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Where's Sligoman? I have a POTM I want to nominate for October.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeirish View Post
    Where's Sligoman? I have a POTM I want to nominate for October.
    So I tried just hard enough then, whew! A big juicy bite out of the irony apple is being spat at you baileban! That is, until, I wait with baited breath, you attack with your scything riposte. Please do. Then we can engage in a personal duel, an epic the likes of which foot.ie has never seen, to and fro, laugh after laugh, incision after incision, nomination after nomination, they'll come from across the land to savour a festivity of chivalrous jousting and jestering. And we have the whole month too! 'October 2007, forever to be remembered in the annals of foot.ie as the month baileban and kingdom hoop wrestled one magical post after another out of each other.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm confused. This is an interrobang. Is that not just a square?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,253 Posts
    It's changed for some reason. Presume dahamsta had his wicked way with it and took it out of the character map or some other random technical phrases I've heard.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by baileban View Post
    kingdom hoop

There was an answer to my question - check out where first had his post deleted - basically he agreed with what I said( interrobang inserted here).
    I'm not interested in a personal "joust" with you - to be honest you bore me.
    However I do think your posts would be more suited to the Shakespeare forum called www.talkwillie@tripechat.com
    You may actually get a nomination on that forum - ta-ra for now!
    Act One, Scene Three; A dusky loft in inner city Dublin, a solitary candle alights the spartan room, kingdom hoop is huddled over his typewriter furiously tapping the well-worn keys in his quest to become the greatest playwright of them all.

KH; (in a cackled incredulous tone) Haha!! That's the worst post of the month! You must have tried really hard to make it that bad, offering a deleted post as supporting evidence takes quite some doing. And you wouldn't climbdown after my full explanation. What are ya like?

BB; (cowers on the inside but offers a forceful steely visage) FFS, what are ya on about you boring little t*at? If you've a problem don't think it's gonna go away with words, actions, actions, actions, that's what you need. Land one on a fella right on the puss, that'll shut him up a lot sooner ffs. Don't mind pussyfootin' around with words, they're rubbish, don't impress no body, make you look like a boring try-hard, do-nothinger. That's not what you want you ffs.

KH; (flabbergasted, but maintains composure) Well sir, if you can't accept you wrongly accused me of being a conniving flattery-searcher by making 'boring' posts I've no interest in listening to you and your opinions. I'm actually quite proud to have been able to bore someone as seemingly high-octane as yourself, are you not usually the one going around shouting at people like some lunatic. Maybe I could be therapeutic for you, you know, come and listen to a few stories, I'll use nice sibilants like hush and glisten to soothe you into a state of sublime tranquillity.

BB; (remorseful and calm) Oh, that would be lovely. Sorry for getting you wrong, you clearly are just a bit strange, I should have realised that and apologised for insinuating that you are shallow and are just here trying to make a name for yourself. What a fool I am. Now that I see the wrongs of my ways I'll try not pre-judge people I really have no idea about. Thank you kh.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    Cut to a beach in Spain, local girls, two Irish guys, an internet ready cellphone, and a couple of joints.....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Cut to a beach in Spain, local girls, two Irish guys, an internet ready cellphone, and a couple of joints.....
    Good memory! Nice to see you know all my back catalogue! Soon there will be a complete amalgamated works volume published, I'll make sure you get an advance copy.

More seriously, has anyone here ever written a short story/book/play or the likes? (Seeing as though the thread originated on account of a punctuation mark this seems like the right place to ask!) You're an English teacher aren't you osarusan? No excuses! I think I'd like to get around to doing something creative like a book/play at some stage, I'm sure it would be wildly successful, on a self-actualisation front as well, of course, as commercially.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Baileban , please stop indulging KH and his obvious need to find gratification from the posters on this forum to his "rapier wit" and propensity to drag a post to the edge of a cliff without actually jumping.

KH I look forward to the book , it should be along long long read.
    I'll update this next year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    God ye lads must be slow. It shouldn't take more than two braincells to understand, when I've explained quite clearly, that what I'm like in 'real life' is what I'm like on foot.ie. If ye could produce any sort of logical argument or evidence to back up the claims then I would listen and treat them with respect, but in the absence thereof, and when I've given my side of the story fairly, honestly and I thought cogently, I fail to see how ye can justifiably continue to cling onto your disparaging 'argument' and effectively alienate me from other posters. It is unfair and entirely uncalled for.

If you don't like what you read under my username, I appreciate I mightn't be everyone's cup of tea, that's fair enough, just put me on your ignore list or something. Don't go around saying things about me that are insulting, baseless and untrue.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't like to be complimented on my posts, just the same way you prefer when a friend laughs at your joke as opposed to attacking you for trying too hard to impress them. But as I've said already, that is simply a happy consequence not a motivation. Life isn't about masquerading to win a popularity contest, it's about being yourself first and then seeing who likes you as a result - I'm happy to take the same philosophy on to here. Only when you are yourself do you truly discover who actually likes you and who doesn't. At least now I know I've two less friends on foot.ie, and I don't like you either, not because you don't like me but because you wouldn't accept my explanation of events on an inherently personal issue without offering any kind of valid reason why. Idiots of the highest calibre the two of ye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Baileban and First, if you have a problem with a certain poster then just add them to your ignore list. It's not that difficult.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    :
    More seriously, has anyone here ever written a short story/book/play or the likes?
    I have started 2 different ones and have loads of ideas. I just want to take a few months off and go sit in the South of France & finish one of them!

Found a bag the other day with some pages of one of my "books" and it needs some work! (ok a lot of work).

Something I would really love to do and when kids are 18 & 21 (8 yrs from now!) I plan to do the South of France bit.