Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 50 of 114 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 2276

Thread: Anthony Stokes (F free agent b.1988)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Did Stokes do much against Liverpool? What role did he play?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Did Stokes do much against Liverpool? What role did he play?
    I thought Liverpool was his best game I've seen him play for Sunderland to date. He came on for Richardson so was coming off the left. He had Sunderland's best chance to score in the first half, when he rolled the ball underneath Reina, but the shot was weak and was cleared before it reached the line. In the second half, he had 2 shots from distance that he made from nothing that went close. The second in particular was impressive, he had 2 Liverpool players around him, and his back to goal and he still managed to make the space for the shot
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    789 Posts
    Nice goal on Saturday. With a bit of luck he can kick on although I suspect a few strikers may be off loaded in the January window by Sunderland. Here's hoping the goal saved that indignity.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I read this in the paper this morning at work and thought it was interesting. It's from Louise Taylor @ the guardian. I really hope Stokes knuckles down now and goes on to great things.

When Roy Keane was a young midfielder at Nottingham Forest Brian Clough frequently had cause to caution him about the perils of spending too much time in a "nite-spot" called the Black Orchid.
    These days Keane is more interested in another nightclub or rather in how best to prevent his Sunderland players lingering over long in the Glass Spider. Billed as "one of the hottest late bars in town" and boasting "drink prices to make your jaw drop", it has apparently proved a particular magnet for Anthony Stokes.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Within an hour of the 19-year-old's last-minute winner consigning Paul Jewell to an undeserved defeat in his first game in charge of Derby County, Keane issued the gifted yet erratic Stokes with a thinly veiled warning.
    "Stokes could be a top, top player in four or five years or he could be playing non-League," said Sunderland's manager. "He'll go one way or the other, I'm sure. The obvious pitfall for him is the Glass Spider. He's got to be careful, he's got to work extremely hard and he's got to listen to the staff here. Stokes has got potential but it's about producing and maintaining it. It's important that his family look after him. As his manager, I've got a role to play but you can't follow the modern player 24 hours a day."

The Dublin born, former Arsenal trainee is, like the whole team, a work in progress and Keane, who again introduced him as a second-half substitute, explained: "You never know what you are going to get from Stokes; whether that's a good or a bad thing I don't know. He does things in training a lot of players can't do but unfortunately a lot of players are brilliant in training but don't do it in matches. Today he tried to take a shot from 45 yards out and I'm scratching my head and thinking 'bloody hell' but then he popped up with the winner."

Hooked in at the second attempt after Stephen Bywater had made a double save from Kenwyne Jones then Stokes's initial effort, that goal, the scorer's first in the Premier League, not only lifted Sunderland out of the relegation zone but eased the pressure which had been building on Keane in the wake of the previous weekend's 7-1 thrashing at Everton. Tension had been manifested earlier in the technical area in some unusually agitated gesticulations from the Irishman, who had dropped his £9m goalkeeper, Craig Gordon.

Sunderland have been unlucky to lose on several occasions this season but their good fortune against a determined Derby must have had Jewell wondering if curtailing an extended holiday in Dubai in order to succeed Billy Davies at Pride Park was the brightest thing he has done.

"It was not a great game on a cold day, not a lot of football was played," he reflected, his golden suntan seeming somehow out of place in the December Wearside chill.

After one Premiership win this season - at home to Newcastle - and having failed to score a single away League goal, Derby's self-esteem is not high and Jewell admitted: "I've taken over a group who've got used to losing and I've got to change that mentality."

Darren Moore, who marked the awkward Jones impressively, feels that Derby's new manager is already making an impact. "Paul Jewell instils belief in you," said the big central defender. "His strength is self-belief, he's got an inner belief. He believes he's good enough to compete against all the other mangers at this level and he's instilling a win- ning spirit."

Meanwhile Stokes - hitherto notorious for being dropped by Keane after missing the team bus en route to a game at Barnsley last season - says he is imbued with a newly professional attitude and pledged to celebrate his goal with "a quiet night in".

If there is much more of this, the Glass Spider could be contemplating a worrying drop in revenue.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    789 Posts
    Disappointing that Stokes has a reputation for the good life rather than good football. Hopefully, he'll concentrate on the latter with there being few distractions hopefully in Sunderland.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    that line from keane is class in fairness.

the lad is only young, i wonder when ye read in the papers "xxxx out on the tiles" yet they all go home by 1 or so, and they prolly only go out 2 nights a week. Sure werent we all doing that for 3 or 4 nights a week at that age. papers making a big deal out of nothing most of the time.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    since Keane said that, that particular nightclub announced that stokes is banned from there for the rest of the season
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
    since Keane said that, that particular nightclub announced that stokes is banned from there for the rest of the season
    Slightly off topic, when Gazza signed for Everton, the owners of Cream banned him from the club too. The owners were season ticket holders at Goodison Park.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
    I'll feel like an idiot if this is a stupid question but are you serious or joking?

If you're serious, fantastic, one less distraction in the lads life. I've been massively disappointed by Stokes since he moved to Sunderland after being more excited by him than by any young player when he was with Falkirk. Hopefully his goal on Saturday will do him the world of good.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    It's true.

Complementary champagne and access to VIP area at the end of the season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    It's true.

nice way to celebrate relegation

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    It's true.

It's true alright, reported in the papers! Stokes probably isn't too happy, surely he'll find another nightclub? Wonder how Keane would react if Stokes was to emulate him and spend the odd night in the cells?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1779

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    It's true alright, reported in the papers! Stokes probably isn't too happy, surely he'll find another nightclub? Wonder how Keane would react if Stokes was to emulate him and spend the odd night in the cells?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1779
    Well I am sure if it was at the end of the season and they were celebrating winning the league and he was stitched up by the sister of a guitar player with a legendary band. I am sure he would not have a problem.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Well I am sure if it was at the end of the season and they were celebrating winning the league and he was stitched up by the sister of a guitar player with a legendary band. I am sure he would not have a problem.
    Never his fault is it? Didn't it happen on more then one occasion in any case?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just telling you the facts of that case as he was cleared of it and he did nothing wrong in that incident.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Just telling you the facts of that case as he was cleared of it and he did nothing wrong in that incident.
    Fair enough but he was arrested on at least 2 other occasions when he was younger himself. People tend to forget how unprofessional he was when he was Stokes age. Stokes has been an angel so far compared to him at that age is all I'm saying. I think he's right to be coming down hard on him btw, only making a point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i bet he looks at scott macdonald at celtic now and thinks that could have been him.
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Fair enough but he was arrested on at least 2 other occasions when he was younger himself. People tend to forget how unprofessional he was when he was Stokes age. Stokes has been an angel so far compared to him at that age is all I'm saying. I think he's right to be coming down hard on him btw, only making a point.
    Whats your point? So Keane should go easy on players beacuse what he got up to when he was younger? Im sure fergie gave him an earful at the time.
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireland4ever View Post
    Whats your point? So Keane should go easy on players beacuse what he got up to when he was younger? Im sure fergie gave him an earful at the time.
    If that was my point why would I have said 'I think he's right to be coming down hard on him btw, only making a point.' in my previous post?

Simply pointing out the irony and thinking it'd be funny to see how Keane would react if a player behaved like he did in his early career.

Some people are very defensive when it comes to matters realting to RK obviously, it was a light hearted comment hence the smiley at the end of the original post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah I4E , chill out!!!!
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Page 50 of 114 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast