Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setanta Good or bad?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Setanta Good or bad?

Lots of people have been mentioning that they are bad for EL cos they show PL , they also show afaik French German and Portugese football.

Are they bad for the EL? they rearrange games from fridays so they dont clash with some rugby thing thats on fridays. They show a lot of games a season(by my count more than RTE have in the last 5 years) and thats just this season.

Clubs get 5k off them for live games and people get the chance to not travel to the games as its on tv, i know Pats have suffered big time with monday games, others can be hard to judge.

I gonna go with yes even tho Felix and Pat are on it is a good thing for the EL as it at the very least creates a TV based fan based following of certain clubs (i know 2 people who watch us on it, wont go to a game but still are Pats fans and will watch us on tv)

its what we always wanted just done wrong sort of. I have Setanta on Sky and only for one game us vs Dungannon away couldnt get to it seems im stuck with it for the year, otherwise never watch the 9 channels i got.

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjaC View Post
    I have Setanta on Sky and only for one game us vs Dungannon away couldnt get to it seems im stuck with it for the year, otherwise never watch the 9 channels i got.
    I'd watch Aussie Rugby League and some of the european football. NASN for college ball and CFL. When premiership starts, Setanta's going to explode

As for the queston, any TV station that consistently shows the league is OK by me. Just wish they'd get behind a proper highlights show. I think if the FAI packaged one together Setanta would show it
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    We're finally getting a chance to watch an EL game on an almost regular basis and thats with thanks to Setanta,who've also given RTE a kick up the arse on this too.

Maybe worth a poll?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I'd watch Aussie Rugby League and some of the european football. NASN for college ball and CFL. When premiership starts, Setanta's going to explode
    Fair enough thats more a channel thing tho, its not setantas fault i watch golf and basketball on sky im sure when everything goes to setanta i will watch it there and keep subbing up to them

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjaC
    Are they bad for the EL? they rearrange games from fridays so they dont clash with some rugby thing thats on fridays. They show a lot of games a season(by my count more than RTE have in the last 5 years) and thats just this season.

Clubs get 5k off them for live games and people get the chance to not travel to the games as its on tv, i know Pats have suffered big time with monday games, others can be hard to judge.

its what we always wanted just done wrong sort of. I have Setanta on Sky and only for one game us vs Dungannon away couldnt get to it seems im stuck with it for the year, otherwise never watch the 9 channels i got.
    I have no problem with them showing games on Monday nights, as long as it's announced before the start of the season. This practice of re-arranging matches at 2 weeks notice, really screws people up.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    I have no problem with them showing games on Monday nights, as long as it's announced before the start of the season. This practice of re-arranging matches at 2 weeks notice, really screws people up.
    We playing you on a tues? Will it affect attd?

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Fcuk sake.

We spend years complaining about a lack of coverage for our league - and then when a channel does go to the effort of showing games regularly, not to mention putting serious money into a new cross-border tournament, they get scrutinised and criticised for it.

Why don't we ask Setanta to move their headquarters building a few inches to the left for us whilst we're at it ?

Makes you wonder why any channel would even bother with us to be honest......

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Fcuk sake.

We spend years complaining about a lack of coverage for our league - and then when a channel does go to the effort of showing games regularly, not to mention putting serious money into a new cross-border tournament, they get scrutinised and criticised for it.

Why don't we ask Setanta to move their headquarters building a few inches to the left for us whilst we're at it ?

So is it good or bad that games that are on tv have lower attd than games are not on tv. And is it good or bad that its Setanta and not RTE or TGA or Tv3.....

I mean how hard is to read the posts, its not really, it just takes a second or 2, before you hit REPLY try READING the posts.

Thought it fairly balanced meself

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    So is it good or bad that games that are on tv have lower attd than games are not on tv. And is it good or bad that its Setanta and not RTE or TGA or Tv3.....

I mean how hard is to read the posts, its not really, it just takes a second or 2, before you hit REPLY try READING the posts.

Thought it fairly balanced meself

kdjac
    1) It's good that our league is on TV. Full Stop. We're fcuked without the oxygen of publicity.

2) The attendances thing is irrelevant. If you assume average entry paid to a televised game is €10 (i.e. average of adult, student and kids tickets) then with €5k being given to the home club by Setanta a club would have to loose 500 off their gate for it to not be financially worthwhile. In a league where the type of clubs likely to be televised probably only average 2-2,500 per game. Show me a televised game that has seen attendance drop by over 500 as adirect response....?

3) I read the posts. That's why i responded. I can't believe how ridiculous it is to criticise the only TV channel doing anything of note for our game here. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I didn't read your, or other, posts.

All publicity is good for our league, an we're far from in a position to be fussy about what we get. And as shown above, it's a net-contributor to the money in our game. So that's the answer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    3) I read the posts. That's why i responded. I can't believe how ridiculous it is to criticise the only TV channel doing anything of note for our game here. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I didn't read your, or other, posts.
    Who is critising?

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Who is critising?

kdjac
    Look at your opening line on this thread :

Lots of people have been mentioning that they are bad for EL....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I live in the states and subscribe to Sh!tanta. Emailed them asking why, I couldn't get coverage of an Irish football tournament sponsered by them and THEM being an "Irish" company....it all made sense to me. The response? To put it in simple terms, "Irish football is sh!t".

Ahh yeah coz everyone in the states is fallin over themselves to watch Aussie Rules!!! Average Joe football fan, who watches MLS is gonna watch coverage of EL before he tunes into Aussie Rules FFS. But does that register with the wee small minds in Setanta? NO!!! Setanta AREN'T Irish, they are propping up what destroys the league in Ireland.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinpants View Post
    I live in the states and subscribe to Sh!tanta. Emailed them asking why, I couldn't get coverage of an Irish football tournament sponsered by them and THEM being an "Irish" company....it all made sense to me. The response? To put it in simple terms, "Irish football is sh!t".

Ahh yeah coz everyone in the states is fallin over themselves to watch Aussie Rules!!! Average Joe football fan, who watches MLS is gonna watch coverage of EL before he tunes into Aussie Rules FFS. But does that register with the wee small minds in Setanta? NO!!! Setanta AREN'T Irish, they are propping up what destroys the league in Ireland.
    I was surprised that the Setanta Cup final wasn't on the USA's version of Setanta Sports either. Fortunately my uncle has a Setenta Online account and I watched it through that. Unfortunately coverage stopped right before the penalties! Oh well.

I agree re: definitely too much Aussie Rules plus there's a little too much rugby for my tastes and to be honest I can't get into hurling or gaelic football though I watched parts of a few matches in an effort to. I don't recall ever seeing a League of Ireland game on the schedule of the US version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivlehan View Post
    I was surprised that the Setanta Cup final wasn't on the USA's version of Setanta Sports either. Fortunately my uncle has a Setenta Online account and I watched it through that. Unfortunately coverage stopped right before the penalties! Oh well.

I agree re: definitely too much Aussie Rules plus there's a little too much rugby for my tastes and to be honest I can't get into hurling or gaelic football though I watched parts of a few matches in an effort to. I don't recall ever seeing a League of Ireland game on the schedule of the US version.
    The closest I've got was Derry away to PSG and even then it was on a 3 hour delay or some sh!t like that...because they decided to show West Ham instead - Setanta, Irish? Not a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Fcuk sake.

I think some people call it "lip service" steve. Whats wrong with showing coverage of the EL over here? Why would an IRISH satellite station NOT cover Irish football? At what point does that make sense? "Lets keep the Germans, Italians, French, English, and Scottish happy - we're Irish but fcuk the Irish".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    1) It's good that our league is on TV. Full Stop. We're fcuked without the oxygen of publicity.
    Good God. Let's not suspend all critical thinking just because the league now has a regular TV deal. We can still engage in discourse about cons of the TV deal. In the main it's very positive but that's not to say there aren't some problems.

For those attacking the Irishness of Setanta, I don't think that's very fair. They show Irish ice hockey, Irish cricket, Leinster schools rugby, they're pretty supportive of small scale Irish sport.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm surprised by that. Not watch Italian, French, German, Dutch, Portuguese football? I watch Setanta a lot more than Sky Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    For those attacking the Irishness of Setanta, I don't think that's very fair. They show Irish ice hockey, Irish cricket, Leinster schools rugby, they're pretty supportive of small scale Irish sport.
    They had some hockey tournament running too.

http://www.hockey.ie/setanta/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Setanta's coverage is a positive thing for the league. It doesn't matter that they also show English, Scottish, French and German football.

I appreciate clubs lose revenue when games are moved to a Monday night however there are other compensations. People get to see your team that would not normally go and may decide to go.

Furthermore and this is really key club sponsors get more exposure. They get their product on live tv and very obvious. With technologies like Sky+ many people rarely if ever watch adverts anymore.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2) The attendances thing is irrelevant. If you assume average entry paid to a televised game is €10 (i.e. average of adult, student and kids tickets) then with €5k being given to the home club by Setanta a club would have to loose 500 off their gate for it to not be financially worthwhile. In a league where the type of clubs likely to be televised probably only average 2-2,500 per game. Show me a televised game that has seen attendance drop by over 500 as adirect response....?

All publicity is good for our league, an we're far from in a position to be fussy about what we get. And as shown above, it's a net-contributor to the money in our game. So that's the answer.
    Thats a very simplistic view dcfcsteve. Bohs last played a home game on a Friday night on May 11th and wont play another home game on a Friday night until August 10th because of games being switched to Monday nights [our home game with Derry is put back 24 hours because of Derry's European game].

Our crowds for Monday night games are down compared to what they would be on Friday nights. At the start of last season, after 3 defeats in a row we played Waterford Utd in front of 1752 people at Dalymount.

We are doing much better this year and recently played Waterford on a Monday night in front of 1230 people.

Add in a drop in programme sales, bar takings would drop significantly and the €5k for moving the game doesnt look so attractive afterall.

Setanta showed a fukking GAA re-run for the zillionth time on Friday evening when they could easily have shown Bohs v Bray on Friday night and put the GAA on Monday instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Setanta's coverage is a positive thing for the league. It doesn't matter that they also show English, Scottish, French and German football
    I'd say it actually helps legitimise the league in the view of some TV viewers. Being stuck on TG4 gives the oppurtunity for some to dismiss us as parochial

Oh and the dip in gate receipts should be more than made up with the fre publicity.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast