Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Clubs!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    I dont think AFC Wimbeldon is able to claim the honours as the original crazy gang wimbeldon has just changed its name to MK Dons.
    What was done to Wimbledon FC was an absolute disgrace. Some dodgy Norwegians came in and bought a modest club (but with a proud history) on the cheap, in the hope that they could then move it somewhere where they might make more money, regardless of the feelings of the fans.
    At one stage, they even wanted to move it to, ahem, Dublin - thereby also ****ing off fans of local Dublin clubs, into the bargain.

When that fell through and they began to lose money, they passed control to a "businessman" called Pete Winkelman, who declared that the club wasn't viable in Wimbledon (where it had managed somehow for 100 years) and would have to move.

As "proof" of its unviability, he pointed to the growing losses being incurred, (though Wimbledon fans preferred to point to the blatant asset-stripping which went on as the club was run into the ground).
    Eventually, he told the FA/Football League that Wimbledon HAD to move (or go bust), the only conceivable site was Milton Keynes (over 70 miles away) and he said he'd sue the authorities if they dared to enforce their own rules which forbid League membership being transferred out of their natural catchment area and/or into the catchment area of neighbouring clubs (e.g. Luton, Northampton, Peterboro etc).

Of course, it was mere coincidence that Tesco wanted planning permission to build a bloody great Hypermarket on a site outside Milton Keynes. And that the local Council told them they wouldn't get Planning Permission (the town already had an ASDA Hypermarket nearby) UNLESS they could demonstrate they could bring some additional amenity to the town. At which point, Tesco proposed building a big sports stadium on the site. To which the Council said "OK, but only if you've got a professional sports team as Tenant".

Which entirely coincidentally caused Winkleman to raise his hand, crying "Look at me, look at me - I've got a football team you can have..."

Anyhow, anyone's who's interested can read more about it here:
    http://wimbledon.rivals.net/default....2&stid=8271036

PS - As EndaBob correctly pointed out, the Franchise were finally required to hand back the trophies they had "acquired" - not that they ever cared anything for the history behind them, or the people who won them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wexford Youths are a great addition in my opinion. There's something very exciting and pure about taking a bunch of mostly inexperienced players from one county and taking on the established clubs. We haven't lost 45% of the games - 8 out of 18 - and will soon be a force to be reckoned with when 1 goal defeats turn into draws or wins. Our 21s have 1 win and 2 draws out of 3 to date against Waterford, Kerry and Kilkenny with a very young team on average. In fairness Limerick are doing very well and good luck to them in the future - like the setup and enthusiasm at their venue but ground needs improvement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by new blue View Post
    Wexford Youths are a great addition in my opinion. There's something very exciting and pure about taking a bunch of mostly inexperienced players from one county and taking on the established clubs. We haven't lost 45% of the games - 8 out of 18 - and will soon be a force to be reckoned with when 1 goal defeats turn into draws or wins. Our 21s have 1 win and 2 draws out of 3 to date against Waterford, Kerry and Kilkenny with a very young team on average. In fairness Limerick are doing very well and good luck to them in the future - like the setup and enthusiasm at their venue but ground needs improvement.

Im not be smart or anything, but whats a nice, fancy ground without passion and atmosphere? Jackman Park is being developed in the near future!! I was impressed with everything when I was down in Wexford for the Cup Replay (expect the weather), and the fans tried to get an atmosphere going and they are probably the friendlist fans in the LOL imo!! So fair play to them and it will take time but I think Wexfords Youth will be a big club in a few years!! The Set-up there has potential and if fans + players keep up the hard work ye will go far, both on and off the pitch!
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    I dont think AFC Wimbeldon is able to claim the honours as the original crazy gang wimbeldon has just changed its name to MK Dons.
    They are - following agreement last year between AFC, Franchise FC, and the FA.

MK Dons have given the replica of the FA Cup - which all winners get to keep - back to the Merton Borough Council (where Wimbledon is located).

MK Dons are not the original Wimbledon. No more than Dublin City were the original Wexford Youths.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    What was done to Wimbledon FC was an absolute disgrace. Some dodgy Norwegians came in and bought a modest club (but with a proud history) on the cheap, in the hope that they could then move it somewhere where they might make more money, regardless of the feelings of the fans.:
    Sam Hamman was the person supremely at fault here - not the Norwegians.

He got them all giddy about the prospect of moivng the club and persuaded them to buy into it. But without him, they wouldn't have been on the scene.

He was the root cause of the events that unfolded at Wimbledon FC. And then he got welcomed into Cardiff with open arms, where he implemented changes like putting the Welsh flag on their jersey, trying to change their home kit to Welsh red etc.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12