Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stewarding Discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Stewarding Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by akearins View Post
    And maybe if the stewards layed off eyeballing our own fans too...
    What are you on about here? If it's last night, you seen what happened. Stewards had every right to keep an eye on them, it's there job.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Not getting into some silly debate about stewarding here but will make some points.Every home game we have more stewards eyeballing our fans and feck all are down with the away support.

Also was it a stewards job to chase a fan (who poured coke over him I think) out as far as the gate to try and drag him back in when he was leaving anyway?

Also why did a steward try and tell two fans who had only gotten out of their seats to move up the stand to "keep moving" trying to shun them out of the ground, they didnt do anything?

Think they need to think before they act.Thye have no right to manhandle anyone in the ground only Guards are allowed remove someone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Not getting into some silly debate about stewarding here but will make some points.Every home game we have more stewards eyeballing our fans and feck all are down with the away support.

Also was it a stewards job to chase a fan (who poured coke over him I think) out as far as the gate to try and drag him back in when he was leaving anyway?

Also why did a steward try and tell two fans who had only gotten out of their seats to move up the stand to "keep moving" trying to shun them out of the ground, they didnt do anything?

Think they need to think before they act.Thye have no right to manhandle anyone in the ground only Guards are allowed remove someone
    Maybe this should get a thread of it’s own. From where I stand the stewards do a fine job. Eyeballing as you call it is a requirement of a steward’s job.
    Are you condoning a fan pouring coke over a steward?
    As for the two who were told to keep moving. How do you know they didn’t do anything? How much alcohol was taken from them? That alone is grounds for throwing them out. Did they not try to join their mate by running onto the pitch? When the club is fined for the pitch incursion, who will pay the fine? Will these fine fellows who call themselves Rovers supporters cough up the €500?
    Read the ground rules and let the stewards get on with doing what no one wants to take on. It’s a thankless job.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzer View Post
    Maybe this should get a thread of it’s own. From where I stand the stewards do a fine job. Eyeballing as you call it is a requirement of a steward’s job.
    As for the two who were told to keep moving. How do you know they didn’t do anything? How much alcohol was taken from them? That alone is grounds for throwing them out. Did they not try to join their mate by running onto the pitch? When the club is fined for the pitch incursion, who will pay the fine? Will these fine fellows who call themselves Rovers supporters cough up the €500?
    Read the ground rules and let the stewards get on with doing what no one wants to take on. It’s a thankless job.
    i think what akearins is trying to say is that some stewards, not all, are too heavy handed. What happened last night was idiotic but the steward had no need to chase him, and drag him back when he was quite clearly leaving...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory H View Post
    For me the best example of the outdated feeling there is in the showgrounds is one of the simplest, Michael Toolan on the pa. Its the same faces,the same story,the same result, every week,every pre season,every year and why would people come to the game to see the same thing every time
    couldn't agree more. toolan having the most uncharismatic voice ever doesn't help. the club should have a proper match night mc, someone like gerry farry(he'd probably even do it for free). what bohs have is a good example. ur man's on the pitch, he interviews mascots, prize winners etc. it keeps families entertainment. the club need to stop whinging lookin for help and start helpin themselves. incidents like harpal singh's contract clause, not keepin burnsy at the club and the way they handled connor's resignation are just unforgivable. they run the club like a ****in gaa club. there was plenty of good ideas at the last meeting but all they're concerned about is their ****in club lotto
    Last edited by gustavo; 30/05/2007 at 3:08 PM.
    "Even if the sun ceases to rise, Even if the sea ceases to flow, Even if the wind stops to blow, The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning, glinting star in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Every home game we have more stewards eyeballing our fans and feck all are down with the away support.
    That is simply not true. Most stewards in the blue stand are down towards the end of it, with the away fans. Last night was different, for two reasons mainly-1. Very little away support, no trouble would have been exepcted from them anyway and 2. Drink had already being taken off Rovers "fans"(use that term lightly, boggers suits there description more) early on in the first half so therefore they kept watching them in case they had more.
    No he shouldn't have chased him, but he had every right to follow him out to ensure he did leave the ground. Didn't see him try to drag him back? Must have missed that, or else yer making it up, I'd pick the second option.
    It was obvious what they were planning to do, just like there friend earlier on. If stewards had turned away, they'd have been on the pitch. These guys were drinking inside the ground and I also heard them say they were going to try it.
    It was obvious there was a lack of stewards there last night, midweek game and all that. Why don't the supporters trust do what the Galway one does, arrange members to steward on match nights? I'm sure Oliver Davey or the club won't mind.
    Last edited by sligoman; 30/05/2007 at 5:09 PM.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Must have missed that.
    no that definetely happened...he was clearly leaving the ground and the steward grabbed him back...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    he didn't dip the bottle of coke over the steward....he grabbed the bottle off the wall and spilled it out as he was running along.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As for the two who were told to keep moving. How do you know they didn’t do anything?
    Sitting right in front of them

How much alcohol was taken from them?
    None
    That alone is grounds for throwing them out. Did they not try to join their mate by running onto the pitch?
    NO
    When the club is fined for the pitch incursion, who will pay the fine? Will these fine fellows who call themselves Rovers supporters cough up the €500?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

As for the two who were told to keep moving. How do you know they didn’t do anything?
    Sitting right in front of them

How much alcohol was taken from them?
    None
    That alone is grounds for throwing them out. Did they not try to join their mate by running onto the pitch?
    NO
    When the club is fined for the pitch incursion, who will pay the fine? Will these fine fellows who call themselves Rovers supporters cough up the €500?
    Very hard to read this post as quotes aren't being used very well. You seemed to have ignored my post too. From what I can make of it...alcohol was taken from them, this is fact so don't try to deny it. Maybe you were there but I didn't see you down that end at all. Like I said, I heard the 2 lads who were told to keep moving, planning to run on the pitch.

These guys there last night aren't actual Rovers fans, they just went along as college friends of one of the Rovers fans and were clearly there to take the ****. Hopefully they won't ever come back cos they're not needed.

Gus, if you want to split this topic, feel free as we have gone way off topic at this stage...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Very hard to read this post as quotes aren't being used very well. You seemed to have ignored my post too. From what I can make of it...alcohol was taken from them, this is fact so don't try to deny it. Maybe you were there but I didn't see you down that end at all. Like I said, I heard the 2 lads who were told to keep moving, planning to run on the pitch.

These guys there last night aren't actual Rovers fans, they just went along as college friends of one of the Rovers fans and were clearly there to take the ****. Hopefully they won't ever come back cos they're not needed.

Gus, if you want to split this topic, feel free as we have gone way off topic at this stage...
    sligoman let people have their opinion on stewards. i think they do a great job but let themselves down on the very odd occasion when a situation can occur. just cos ur a steward dont have to defend every single thing being said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    sligoman let people have their opinion on stewards. i think they do a great job but let themselves down on the very odd occasion when a situation can occur. just cos ur a steward dont have to defend every single thing being said.
    That's fair enough but I'll defend their actions when someone is saying stuff they're wrong about ie. saying they had no drink when they did and saying the two lads were doing nothing when they were clearly planning something. I do agree the steward shouldn't have chased the fella out of the ground though, heat of the moment reaction probably but still not allowed.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As mentioned by others who saw it stewrad did drag him back.So no it wasnt made up.If you are going to start acusations like that be man enough to use your real name and stop hiding behind an alias.

As for trust doing stewarding,trust members have previously done stewarding(one member recently refused to steward after an incident the events controller had with fans at halg time and has put this in writing to the club)and members of the trust (when in the town supporrtrts club) organised stewards a few years back for the Galway Utd cup match.the lads wer in the army and just back for Liberia.Mingled with the crowd and had a laugh,everyone know they were stewarding no hassle.Club seemd to think this was wrong and said they dint know what they were doing.

Sligoman any more issues with trust or this issue then come down to the city hotel Friday night at 8pm .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    As mentioned by others who saw it stewrad did drag him back.So no it wasnt made up.If you are going to start acusations like that be man enough to use your real name and stop hiding behind an alias.

As for trust doing stewarding,trust members have previously done stewarding(one member recently refused to steward after an incident the events controller had with fans at halg time and has put this in writing to the club)and members of the trust (when in the town supporrtrts club) organised stewards a few years back for the Galway Utd cup match.the lads wer in the army and just back for Liberia.Mingled with the crowd and had a laugh,everyone know they were stewarding no hassle.Club seemd to think this was wrong and said they dint know what they were doing.

Sligoman any more issues with trust or this issue then come down to the city hotel Friday night at 8pm .
    It’s not the club that sets out what the stewards does or doesn’t do. As part of the FAI’s licensing regulations, stewards are trained by the FAI. It’s the FAI who sets out what they do. FACT.
    The stewards you mention from away back were not trained like the present lot. FACT.
    The army guys were been paid by the club. FACT.
    Once the stewarding went voluntary those guys refused unless they got paid.
    The steward who chased the fan was wrong. FACT.
    At least 8-10 cans of drink was removed from that section of the crowd. FACT.
    The 2 who were asked to move, on, had attempted to invade the pitch. FACT. One particular supporter who was beside Seamie O'Boyle laid into these 2 after the match. He told them in no uncertain terms what he thought of their behaviour. His language was pretty colourful, so they got the picture.
    The club will be fined for the stupity of these guys. I do not understand how you can stand up for them. As Rovers supporters we must help the stewards.
    Last edited by Redzer; 31/05/2007 at 12:48 PM.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stewards

I do not know the steward who chased him but he was obviously a Bolox. Before the incident the same steward told a young fellow who was blowing at a whistle (When the Ref made a bad decision), that he would through him out of the ground if he did it again. I know for a fact Sligoman and other Stewards alike saw this but passed a blind eye to it as you should. But this bolox obviously wanted his voice to be heard.

And as for the stewards at the Final whistle!! They all lined up in front of the Rovers Fans. And i noticed that not one was left watching the Drogs Fans. Sure for all they new a flare could have been lit or the like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by avvenalaf View Post
    Oh, God.
    Isn't it just wonderful to witness such beautifully articulated debates. Ah! the joys of the forum

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That's fair enough but I'll defend their actions when someone is saying stuff they're wrong about ie. saying they had no drink when they did and saying the two lads were doing nothing when they were clearly planning something. I do agree the steward shouldn't have chased the fella out of the ground though, heat of the moment reaction probably but still not allowed.
    sligomanif someone is wrong about something and you know they are then fair enough. as i've said it's just the odd occasion the stewards lapse and when it happens it's normally jumped on.

re: people having beer - if beer was taken off people inside the ground then why was it not taken of them on way into ground ? i know you can only look inside what they have. can a guard not be there with a few stewards cos surely a guard can check ? if fair suspicion is there then all items a supporter has should be rightfully searched. would save alot of grief.

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    sligomanif someone is wrong about something and you know they are then fair enough. as i've said it's just the odd occasion the stewards lapse and when it happens it's normally jumped on.

re: people having beer - if beer was taken off people inside the ground then why was it not taken of them on way into ground ? i know you can only look inside what they have. can a guard not be there with a few stewards cos surely a guard can check ? if fair suspicion is there then all items a supporter has should be rightfully searched. would save alot of grief.
    they werent exactly being very subtle about the cans either....the state they were in maybe they shouldnt have been allowed it all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzer View Post
    One particular supporter who was beside Seamie O'Boyle laid into these 2 after the match. He told them in no uncertain terms what he thought of their behaviour. His language was pretty colourful, so they got the picture.
    Just to point out something, this fella was actually giving out to the 2 stewards, not the 2 fellas who were thinking of runnning onto the pitch. He even threatened the steward who chased the other fella out. As you say, it is often a thankless job. Seamie O'Boyle was telling the stewards not to heed him and told him to go on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Fair enough, it looked from where I was, that the 2 muppets were getting an earfull cos they were standing right in front of him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast