Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: TV Programmes You'd Recommend To A Friend

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    How soon does the Killing (US) go bad cos I've really liked the episodes on Channel 4 so far?
    I'm enjoying it too, and we're watching as per the TV. However, I was bit shocked when I aquired the series (for catch up purposes) and saw there were 13 episodes. It's gonna have to twist itself in knots to stretch it to that, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    The Danish version of the killing is brilliant. The acting from the girl's parents is first class. If you can get hold of a copy I'd drop the US version until you finish the original!
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,359 Posts
    Don't know if it was mentioned before and I couldn't be arsed checking, but I'd highly recommend Californication to anyone who hasn't seen it. Without a shadow of a doubt David Duchovnys best work. Seriously funny show about a writer struggling with adjusting to life in LA.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Don't know if it was mentioned before and I couldn't be arsed checking, but I'd highly recommend Californication to anyone who hasn't seen it. Without a shadow of a doubt David Duchovnys best work. Seriously funny show about a writer struggling with adjusting to life in LA.
    Yep excellent show its been mentioned a few times here already. I've watched season 1 a few months back but havn't got round to watching anymore yet but defo plan to
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I'm enjoying it too, and we're watching as per the TV. However, I was bit shocked when I aquired the series (for catch up purposes) and saw there were 13 episodes. It's gonna have to twist itself in knots to stretch it to that, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.
    Well the original Danish version had 20 episodes in season 1, so i fart in the general direction of your a 13 episodes I guess 20 episodes is a bit too much for the average yank to remember

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    A couple of decent comedies I've stumbled across recently - Twenty Twelve about the build-up to the Olympics (think it was on BBC3 before and is now being repeated on proper BBC) and Him & Her (which probably made the same move) - very low key, but funny.
    Still unsure what to make of Him & Her, quite low fi alright, which is normally good, need to watch a bit more though.
    Only stumbled across Twenty Twelve the other night, 2nd or 3rd episode (the Brazilian delegation on the bus ), hadn't heard a thing about it before but thought it was brilliant. How could it not be, Jessica Hynes from Spaced, Olivia Coleman from Peep Show, Amelia Bulimore from Big Train, and that's just the women. Who aren't even funny!
    At the other extreme, saw my first, and last, episode of Bob's Burger's the other night too. Really poor fare. "I think I'm getting loot glutes." F*** me, is this the mark now??! Recognised the main character as Ben from Dr Katz all those years ago, and that just made it even more depressing, like finding out John Cleese is now doing Last of the Summer Wine.
    Last edited by stann; 28/07/2011 at 6:41 PM. Reason: 'cos some people need the pic
    more bass

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Just finished Dexter season 4 at the weekend excellent as always prob my fav season since season 1. Just got Justified season 1 in todays post so looking forward to getting into it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Just started watching Boardwalk Empire. Top show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    The original, danish, version of the killing is being shown on bbc4, again. Hopefully to be followed at some stage by the second one.

Seems to be weeknights at 10. They're at episode 7, but as of yesterday the first five were available on iplayer, if that's any use to anyone. Think the first one drops off today.

Also american but alphas is looking pretty good. Someone described it as 'heroes, only good'.

And the new thundercats is quite enjoyable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Seriously who watches How I Met Your Mother? It's rotten.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Seriously who watches How I Met Your Mother? It's rotten.
    I watched 6 or 7 episodes several years ago before realizing I hated all the characters, especially the Ted character and the Barney character.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaucyJack View Post
    I watched 6 or 7 episodes several years ago before realizing I hated all the characters, especially the Ted character and the Barney character.
    I couldn't sleep and there were several episodes on in a row so had little choice... it was that or something about 9/11 on Discovery/History etc.

My ex loved it and force fed me it at one stage to the point that I could stomach it; however a 2 year gap later and it really is like watching paint dry and having nails piercing your skull at the same time.

It's worse than Everybody...Raymond and Queen of Kings (ho, see what I did there). and that's saying something.

GASH!
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Finished justified season 1 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1489428/ at the weekend, Quality show Walton Goggins & Timothy Olyphant are great in it. Got Game of Thrones to watch next

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Watched the first episode of "Wilfred" the other night, haven't seen it mentioned here before. Elijah Wood plays a suicidal ex-lawyer. The rest is hard to explain. Very surreal. I'll have to look into it more and see if it was just a pilot or if there's a series or what. Worth having a look at.

*Seems to be a remake of an Aussie series, with the same actor playing "Wilfred". He's a talking dog by the way.
    Last edited by passinginterest; 12/09/2011 at 1:23 PM.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Watched the first episode of "Wilfred" the other night, haven't seen it mentioned here before. Elijah Wood plays a suicidal ex-lawyer. The rest is hard to explain. Very surreal. I'll have to look into it more and see if it was just a pilot or if there's a series or what. Worth having a look at.

*Seems to be a remake of an Aussie series, with the same actor playing "Wilfred". He's a talking dog by the way.
    It's on BBC3 on Tuesday nights, there are a fair few repeats during the week. I think it's about four episodes into the series by now.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Back From The Dead on Channel 4, Sunday evenings.
    Brilliant series so far, where they apply the magic of forensic archaeology to recently discovered remains from various historical conflict periods, picking six individuals out to reconstruct how they lived and died. Very interesting show indeed.
    Two episodes in already, Nelson's Navy last week, and the Crusader defeat at the siege of Jacob's Ford this past Sunday, must admit a battle I knew little about despite a bit of an interest in the conflict.
    One on Samurai warriors is up next, and there's one on gladiators in Roman Britain also in the series I think.
    Last edited by stann; 13/09/2011 at 11:10 AM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I tend to consider sitcoms one of the TV equivalents of junk food but I've been tucking into DVDs of 'The Big Bang Theory' lately (or 'That 00's Show' as I feel compelled to call it) and laughs have been had. The Sheldon character makes for especially compulsive viewing.

Of interest to Irish football fans will be the regular appearance of a young John Delaney, in the guise of 'Wolowitz':

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Started to watch Reaper again and its still enjoyable. All of them dvr'd so will get to see it unfold properly.

Watched 3 episodes of Inside Natures Giants in a tow tonight. Still a remarkable show and the one about the Turtle was incredible. Evolution rocks.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Just finished Season 1 of "Game of Thrones" Excellent stuff, Currently reading part 2 of "A storm of Swords" so if the rest of the TV series is half is good as the books it will be a quality show

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    "Top Boy" starts on Channel 4 at 10pm tonight, 4 Part crime drama running over the next 4 nights. Looks good http://www.channel4.com/programmes/top-boy

Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast