Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Fai credit where its due

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Fai credit where its due

I have to say the club promotions officer idea is really working. Mooney was brilliant on radio 1 last night seemed to be really up for his job. In terryland last nite despite a bad league position the club promotions officer alone has added 20% to the gate. I witnessed junior clubs and schools there with all the parents in tow from places that would never even consider supporting their localeircom league team before. Delaney & Co deserve credit for this. Even with 1500 new seats coming on stream I dont think we in Galway would cope and would have to turn away people if we were in top 4 for any length of time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I dunno about the rest of the clubs to be honest but Mooney and Adrian Desmond (Cork City) are unreal. We are doing stuff now that we should have been doing for years. Probably the best move made in the last ten years, i include the change to summer soccer there.

Edit: I just want to add that imo fans/trusts/supporters clubs need to pitch in here as best as possible. It will not be possible without fans help, people need to row in behind and get things moving too.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

true

in GUFC case its afair to say the supporters trust and the club have facilitated each other and worked together. The club have been open and honest and let the supporters audit gates etc . The supporters ran the programme editing, club shop, lotto, helped out with stewarding etc and gradually allowd the activities to be taken back by the club at the clubs own pace when they were ready. A club has to have supporters trust/clubs community involvement to sustain long term. Speculators investors should be taken for what they are short term and a danger to a clubs existence aka shels, drogs next, leeds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Mooney was superb last night.
    Heard him on the way to the match and he gave a really good account of the progressive strategy for the league. And, unlike so many PR stooges, he clearly was passionate and knowledgeable.
    Best part was his challenge to actually attend a league game, issued to that arch promoter of British football, Eamon Dunphy, who a while beforehand had been on Five-Seven Live doing his usual spite-filled hatchet job on the domestic game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Noel Mooney's passion for the job is unreal and I wish him every success, he deserves it (and of course if he is successful the league will benefit).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Even with 1500 new seats coming on stream I dont think we in Galway would cope and would have to turn away people if we were in top 4 for any length of time
    OMG, i love galway fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Could a mod siphon off the GAA debate please?

Can one attribute the increase in crowds to Mooney and the CPOs? Perhaps it has more to do with increased crowds from two Dublin clubs doing well (Pat's and Rovers), Cork doing fairly well, Derry carrying over crowds from last two seasons' success which will begin to wane and Bohs experienced a brief burst in crowds off the back off a managerial change and new signings which will probably drop off with the disappointing results. I'm not knocking the CPO programme as I think it is by far the best thing to come from the merger but I don't think one can just add the two things together after 3 months or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    The crowd at GUFC vs Derry (2,850) was down to

- 1-0 away win previous week
    - decent form in the past few weeks (undefeated in
    previous three games)
    - beautiful evening
    - good away support

and also good work by the CPO (signs, juvenile game at half-time).

How can clubs progress onwards ? They are still very few 4,000 + crowds at matches, perhaps 1/2 a month.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

fairly right there PD

sometimes though in Galway the sun sends people to salthill and the beaches and the away support last night was good but still only accounted for 250 that leaves a galway crowd of 2600 way way up on the usual 500 when we were in the 1st. form is ok and the better division would undoubtedly attract more but i do think its 1200 more than previous experiences of the top flight on similiar form. The diff has to be the cpo

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne View Post
    The crowd at GUFC vs Derry (2,850) was down to

- 1-0 away win previous week
    - decent form in the past few weeks (undefeated in
    previous three games)
    - beautiful evening
    - good away support

and also good work by the CPO (signs, juvenile game at half-time).

How can clubs progress onwards ? They are still very few 4,000 + crowds at matches, perhaps 1/2 a month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley View Post
    Best part was his challenge to actually attend a league game, issued to that arch promoter of British football, Eamon Dunphy, who a while beforehand had been on Five-Seven Live doing his usual spite-filled hatchet job on the domestic game.
    I met Dunphy at a game in Bray. Do I win a prize?
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Have to say that the FAI finally seem to be getting their act together.

I was at the Futsal finals last weekend and it was very well organised and a great day.

The CPO appears to have been a great success so far. The CPO at Rovers, Barry Dolan from Monaghan http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/clubpromotionofficer.php is doing great work and alot more schooboys groups are coming out to the games.

bhs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    sometimes though in Galway the sun sends people to salthill and the beaches ....
    Sometimes though in Galway the sun sends people a bit mad in the heed......