Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Elections

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Elections

Haven't seen this anywhere else but I feel it's an important issue.

As I mull over my vote for the upcoming election, one factor that could decide my vote is a political party's support for the Eircom League of Ireland and domestic football generally.

Which political party, that you have encountered or heard of, has shown support for the national league? I'm not talking about fans who are politicians, I'm talking about party policies that will help domestic football the most.

Do you think Fianna Fáil/PDs have done enough in terms of grants etc over the last 10 years? Also take into consideration that whilst they mightn't have helped that much, many other parties may have helped less if they were in charge.

Personally I'm undecided on the matter. The LOI won't be mentioned in my constituency but I will try press politicians on it. Also, it doesn't bode well with me when we have a Taoiseach that never acknowledges the league in the country from which he was elected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm not sure about party lines but I think John O'Donoghue deserves credit for sticking to his guns on the Tallaght issue. I doubt that any party will have a coherrent policy on it though - they probably reckon there are more votes to be gained by wearing a Sunderland shirt
    Foot.ie's entire existence is predicated on the average idiot's inability to ignore other idiots

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Sport is rarely used as a political issue.

I would not vote for FF based on eL grants as I don't think would be any different to other parties.

O'Donoghue has been giving Kerry disproportionate amount of Sports Grants for years so I don't know if he worthy of a vote. Remember he is also going to give the GAA money to pay amateur players wages.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    I'm not sure about party lines but I think John O'Donoghue deserves credit for sticking to his guns on the Tallaght issue. I doubt that any party will have a coherrent policy on it though - they probably reckon there are more votes to be gained by wearing a Sunderland shirt
    It's a big deal for us as you can imagine. Our members forum has a list of candidates and their respective positions on Tallaght.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm not sure about party lines but I think John O'Donoghue deserves credit for sticking to his guns on the Tallaght issue. I doubt that any party will have a coherrent policy on it though
    He definitely deserves credit, coming up to an election, when he challenges a GAA team knowing he is from the Gaelic football stronghold that is Kerry.

they probably reckon there are more votes to be gained by wearing a Sunderland shirt
    That's the problem, that's why we should all press them on the issue to remind them there is a league in this country, and that their support for the league, or lack thereof, could cost them votes.

reder
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Remember he is also going to give the GAA money to pay amateur players wages.
    Are you sure he is going to do this?

If he does this every other sports person in the land who has represented the country at international level and was not funded and has taken 1 min or more from their working life for training etc should be banging on his door looking for money.

I honest cant see his coughing up money for this.

The GAA should pay their own players.
    Last edited by reder; 04/05/2007 at 3:56 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reder View Post
    Are you sure he is going to do this?

If he does this every other sports person in the land who has represented the country at international level and was not funded and has taken 1 min or more from their working life for training etc should be banging on his door looking for money.
    Yes. The current government will say give the GAA 5m every year for youth programme. The GAA will then divert 5m every year to pay their own players. That way the government will be able to say they not directly paying the players.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Michael D Higgins never misses a Galway United home game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galwayutdcelt View Post
    Michael D Higgins never misses a Galway United home game
    read the original post again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Political parties don't have anyposition regarding the league. As long as people like Bertie send congratulations to Roy Keane and Denis Iriwn "on behalf of the people of Ireland" we know where most priorities lie.

Mary Upton (Lab) and Catherine Byrne(FG) are both Pats fans.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Sport is rarely used as a political issue.
    Unless you're Franco or Mussolini.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    i have been askin candidates their views on the tallaght stadium so far iv asked FGer, FFer and Shinner.

my local shinner candidate said he was in favour of the Gahs stance, suggesting we should prioritise "Irish" sports.

So a republican bigot supporting bigot-ball then.

my local FGer and FFer in favour of Rovers. still no sign of the Lefties or the Greens here canvassin yet.
    "No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    I was canvased by my local FF TD - Pat Carey - yesterday & obviously had to talk to him about sport; he is supporting Rovers against the gaa anyway.

so he gets MY no.1 vote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Interesting post, i will now have an excuse to enterrogate the canvassers.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohsRap View Post
    As I mull over my vote for the upcoming election, one factor that could decide my vote is a political party's support for the Eircom League of Ireland and domestic football generally.
    The most straightforward way to answer the question is to ask the candidate about their stance on Tallaght. Their answer will determine whether they are a friend or foe of domestic football.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    when we were going to castleknock labour and fine gael were doing alot to stop it. Can't remember the fine gael guy but joan burton didn't want us in castleknock and joe costello didn't want us to leave dalymount.
    I can remember both sinn fein and fianna fail sponsoring us in the last few years though.
    Ill definately be bringing tallagh up with whoever calls to my door too
    Last edited by superbohs; 05/05/2007 at 4:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superbohs View Post
    when we were going to castleknock labour and fine gael were doing alot to stop it. Can't remember the fine gael guy but joan burton didn't want us in castleknock and joe costello didn't want us to leave dalymount.
    I remember hearing that alright. It would definitely put me off a Labour vote because they are restricting club progress. Joe Costello has the right intentions but that Joan Burton one seems to be a constant moan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superbohs View Post
    I can remember both sinn fein and fianna fail sponsoring us in the last few years though.
    Ill definately be bringing tallagh up with whoever calls to my door too
    I can also recall John O'Donoghue telling us that we wouldn't get any grant money for redeveloping Dalyer unless we gave half of the ground to shels for less than 1/7 of its value and that the only grants available to EL clubs for stadium development would be for grounds which two teams are sharing. His attempts to bully us into the shels deal will not be forgotten. So that's FF, FG and Labour who won't be getting my vote (not that the first two or the PDs ever stood a chance of getting my vote anyway!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d13bohs View Post
    I can also recall John O'Donoghue telling us that we wouldn't get any grant money for redeveloping Dalyer unless we gave half of the ground to shels for less than 1/7 of its value and that the only grants available to EL clubs for stadium development would be for grounds which two teams are sharing. His attempts to bully us into the shels deal will not be forgotten. So that's FF, FG and Labour who won't be getting my vote (not that the first two or the PDs ever stood a chance of getting my vote anyway!)
    I won't be forgetting it either when I go to vote.