Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Early Cobh Soccer History

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Early Cobh Soccer History

Rams history pretty well known since formation in 1922.
    Does any one know of anything re soccer in Cobh before 1922, heard about club called Queenstown Cories can anyone add more info . Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    i have never heard of any clubs in cobh pre ramblers most football was played by british soldiers on there time off, they played against local players, who after the english left formed what is now cobh ramblers. but all that is easy info to get, other may know a bit more if they ask there parents our grand parents, not really a lot of info even back 30 years, a lot of MSL but thats about it,
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    I have heard that there was a team called Queenstown Corinthians which existed, for how long though, nobody seems to know but it's probable that they ceased to exist before WW1.
    There was a book brought out about 11 years ago which detailed the history of Cork soccer from 1895 to 1995. I cant remember any referenceto this team.
    I remember that Pirates RFC brought out a book some years ago to celebrate their centenary, if i remember right the book mentions that a Cobh Ramblers existed in the 1880's as a rugby team so possibly the founders of the club in 1922 had a memory of that time 40 years before.
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    To Don Remo and Comicbookguy, thanks for your responses. The book that is reffered to is "Beyond the Pickett Fences" by G.Desmond & D Galvin and is a history of the MSL since 1922, of which I have a copy.
    With Cobh being a naval port, expect there was interaction between millitary and town. The growth of soccer in Ireland from 1880's suggests there may have been a town club early 20C, of which I have seen mention of Q. Cories.Requuest posted on off chance someone might have more info. Believe Rams may have origins out of a Hockey Club. Could be poss if early club could have depended on millitry for players. Welcome more info.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by historynut View Post
    To Don Remo and Comicbookguy, thanks for your responses. The book that is reffered to is "Beyond the Pickett Fences" by G.Desmond & D Galvin and is a history of the MSL since 1922, of which I have a copy.
    With Cobh being a naval port, expect there was interaction between millitary and town. The growth of soccer in Ireland from 1880's suggests there may have been a town club early 20C, of which I have seen mention of Q. Cories.Requuest posted on off chance someone might have more info. Believe Rams may have origins out of a Hockey Club. Could be poss if early club could have depended on millitry for players. Welcome more info.
    the people who played the soildier were part of a field hockey team alright, i have read about it on wiki most of stuff put there is correct, football in the town would date back to its league formation in england and a bit further without rules as cobh always had a strong british presence before they got thrwon out
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Another piece of useless info, I was told a couple of years ago that the club colours (claret and blue) are as a result that several of the founders were soldiers from the Birmingham regiments? there may be some truth to this as the area near where Ramblers pitch is now was known as Villa Park. As a kid I can remember that the shop on the corner (was Keatings) was called Villa Stores.
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Comic book guy, no info useless. Could well be the case. Just reread your 1st reply and I may have jumped the gun. You mention book on Cork soccer history 1896-1995.. I have 2 books on cork soccer- History of MSL called "Between the Picket Fences" by G.Desmond & D. Galvin covering 1922-1997. Also 50 years of Cork AUL by Plunkett Carter 1947-1997. But believe he has written book on what I thought was History of Munster Soccer, the dates you mention would tie in with this. You would'nt know anymore about this book ? Colours certainly suggest Brum link, is it known Rams always in same colours. Always struck by number of clubs that play in C & B, in the league, yurselves DROGS AND Galway (though we know theirs are County Colours). Sidenote did the shop-keepers descendants ever emigrate to Oz and do well in Politics(joke).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
    Another piece of useless info, I was told a couple of years ago that the club colours (claret and blue) are as a result that several of the founders were soldiers from the Birmingham regiments? there may be some truth to this as the area near where Ramblers pitch is now was known as Villa Park. As a kid I can remember that the shop on the corner (was Keatings) was called Villa Stores.
    Almost sure that the Claret and Blue strip was donated by a Cobh man playing for Villa. Pongo McParland or Pat Sawell I think. The Cobh team were poor enough back in those days and asked the Villa Cobh Man who donated gear to them. Not sure if Villa Stores has any link.Will findout and post here on same.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Cheers Ram 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by historynut View Post
    Cheers Ram 1
    No problem. Could be a couple of weeks before I post it as I need to talk to one guy in particular who will probably know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Tried to find out but history a bit hazy...heres some info
    1. Ramblers played in Moores Place, St Colmans and the old donkey field(dawnview)
    2. Two clubs originally in Cobh, Cobh Ramblers and Cobh Wanderers
    3. Ramblers were disbanded for a few years around the time of the war
    4. Cobh Wanderers sold the GAA their present pitch
    Will try and find out who was there before 1922 also