Thread: Attendance up 17pc

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Attendance up 17pc

From loi.ie:
    Attendance figures for the first series of 2007 eircom League of Ireland matches were up 17% on the opening weekend of the 2006 season.

A total of 20,632 people paid into eircom League of Ireland fixtures on the opening week of the 2007 season. This figure accounts for eleven fixtures, six of which were in the Premier Division and five of which were in the First Division.

The average attendance at an eircom League of Ireland fixture during Series One was 1,876. This compares with 1,600 during the opening weekend of fixtures during 2006 - an increase of 17%.

Boosting attendances at fixtures has been singled out as a key objective for the 2007 season. The FAI recently announced the appointment of 16 Club Promotion Officers (CPOs), whose job it will be to further integrate their club into the local community.

Noel Mooney, National Coordinator of the Club Promotion Officer Programme, said that attendances for the first week of fixtures were encouraging, but said that the process of winning the league new fans was only beginning.

Mooney said: "It is a very encouraging way to begin the new season and gives us something to build on. We know that there is huge public interest in the league and our goal is to see that reflected in attendance figures. Our target for the opening weekend of fixtures was 18,000, so to clear that figure is fantastic. However, there are over thirty weeks of action ahead of us - the real work starts now".

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Doesn't mention, of course, that there were a large number of derby games which would have helped the crowds...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Doesn't mention, of course, that there were a large number of derby games which would have helped the crowds...
    That's deliberate. The FAI engineered big crowds so as to generate a bit of hype about the openeing weekend. It's a job well done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Yeah, I know. I had to put it up on the website earlier though; still feel dirty about it... It's all part of this "new league new beginning" idea, which I obvioulsy hate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah, I know. I had to put it up on the website earlier though; still feel dirty about it... It's all part of this "new league new beginning" idea, which I obvioulsy hate.
    Did you, that's actually a bit funny? I remember when the merger was being proposed the FAI said that they'd take over the league to let the clubs get on with the business of running themselves. That's cantradicted to some extent by the micromanaging of club affairs the FAI are engaging in.

In any case, I'm always happy to criticise the FAI when they cack up so I'll praise them today for doing something well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So the FAI actually dictate* what goes onto club sites (not just censoring "negative" stories but forcing coverage of positive spin)

Is it not enough that they put it on their own site and clubs can link if they want to?

* Not meant to imply that the FAI are dictators...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Well, they released a press release to all clubs. I don't know if I have any choice in putting it up or not, but I'd rather a different club find out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    A total of 20,632 people paid into eircom League of Ireland fixtures on the opening week of the 2007 season. This figure accounts for eleven fixtures, six of which were in the Premier Division and five of which were in the First Division.

The average attendance at an eircom League of Ireland fixture during Series One was 1,876. This compares with 1,600 during the opening weekend of fixtures during 2006 - an increase of 17%.
    The average of the games last season was exactly 1,600

Besides 20,632 spread over ELEVEN games does not a lot of hype make

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Well, they released a press release to all clubs. I don't know if I have any choice in putting it up or not, but I'd rather a different club find out!
    I think you might be taking the fear of Delaney a bit too far here Stu. It's the UCD site - UCD decide what goes on there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    It's the UCD site - UCD decide what goes on there.
    I think Derry City Web found out the hard way that that's not necessaraly true. Stu's correct to take the precautionary principle here and, in any case, he has this website to vent his frustrations on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Mr. Delaney, how do you respond to the charges that attendances are up 17 percent, while heavy sack-beatings are up a shocking nine hundred percent?