Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crisis Clubs Flying Under the Radar?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts

Crisis Clubs Flying Under the Radar?

Is it just me or have the Shels shenanigans disguised serious problems at other clubs? Specifically Longford and Sligo. I'm hearing all sorts of rumours about both clubs but very little general talk on here.

Discuss....

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Seems to be true alright. Longford weren't able to pay their players for a while. Haven't heard anything about Sligo though...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Cue somebody claiming Kildare County are going to pack it in any day now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    well a lot of clubs are flyin under the radar, due to fact if everything was revealed tommorow the leauge would cease to exist, the sad thing about the eircom leauge is attendances can help culbs a lot, but only a fraction of football fans will watch there local team live, but it doent really matter as every leauge on the continent our nearly every one is bust there is no money left and clubs are stacking up debt year on year, just to look as close as the premiership man utsd E500million in debt chelsea lost E80 million last year, aresenal are around E300 million in debt, celtic in scotland are in debt even thought they have sell out crowds week in and week out, they spend beyond there means, but that doent have to happen here if you get attendances at games the club should do the wise thing and linit the wages, thats where all the others leagues have gone wrong and if the players arent happy there more than entitled to leave.

Now that the FAI have established our are establising an education program for profession and probably part time players there better off staying here play for ten years and when your finnished playin you have a colledge degree to fall back on and your set for the rest of your life if you smart enough, you may go to enland our scotlad and earn a bit moree and you might might be lucky enough to play in the premiership but if you dont you would be better of stayin at home as you are not going to earn that much more in the championship our league one, some club think there player will leave so offer more wages to keep them but they wont get a whole lot more so they should stop being grredy, if they wanna take there chances in england off with them we want to build a league not destroy one,
    Last edited by A face; 21/02/2007 at 9:13 PM. Reason: Paragraph
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Is it just me or have the Shels shenanigans disguised serious problems at other clubs? Specifically Longford and Sligo. I'm hearing all sorts of rumours about both clubs but very little general talk on here.

Discuss....

KOH
    how do you know about that

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Longford at least appear to be addressing their problems to an extent in fairness - they've released a fair few experienced players in pre-season.

Hadn't heard anything about Sligo though. Wouldn't be too surprised given they went for full-time immediately on promotion, which could well have been an overreach. Similar situation may hit Galway this year?

Pat's have been racking up losses of half a million a year for the last couple of years anyway. Don't know how that's going to turn out.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Longford at least appear to be addressing their problems to an extent in fairness - they've released a fair few experienced players in pre-season.
    The difference between other clubs & Shels is obvious - Shels tried to spend their way out of trouble whereas others do try to cut back.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wild rover View Post
    how do you know about that
    I don't, I'm just asking the question.

KOH

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hopefully longford get the boot and bring up dundalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    well, we dont know the full story down here, but IMO i cant see where we have the money for a Full-time side with attendances of only 1000 per game....it dosent add up...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Discuss....

KOH
    Stop talking through your ar$e we are shams. We have made a profit the last four or five seasons not too many LOI clubs have done the same. Financially we have never been as well off in a long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red&White Rover View Post
    well, we dont know the full story down here, but IMO i cant see where we have the money for a Full-time side with attendances of only 1000 per game....it dosent add up...
    I read in the Sligo Champion that the Club cleared a profit last year. They published a full financial report. They seem to be quite accountable to their fans.

Then again, so were Shels
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Our only problem is with playing staff. A shame we can't attract as many players as we need, but at lease we're not Galway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red&White Rover View Post
    Not sure of the exact figure but attendances is only something like 30% of our income

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 9 2 8 View Post
    Stop talking through your ar$e we are shams. We have made a profit the last four or five seasons not too many LOI clubs have done the same. Financially we have never been as well off in a long time.
    I never said financial problems. I'm delighted everything is so rosy in the west.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I never said financial problems. I'm delighted everything is so rosy in the west.
    Was wondering if you meant team-wise as had heard nothing about money trouble. They've lost players but I doubt they'll be in serious trouble, it looks like there's a few weak teams this year. I'd say at least 3 of Longford, Waterford, Galway & Bray will be behind Sligo this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 9 2 8 View Post
    Not sure of the exact figure but attendances is only something like 30% of our income
    That's about standard for most clubs AFAIK.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don ramo View Post
    man utsd E500million in debt chelsea lost E80 million last year, aresenal are around E300 million in debt, celtic in scotland are in debt even thought they have sell out crowds week in and week out, they spend beyond there means
    Well Man U is a unique case as they were bought out by a yank who saddled them with debt. Arsenal built a new stadium, which explains theirs. Celtic posted their biggest profit in years just recently, as did both Utd and Arsenal by the way. So not all bad.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    I don't know the full story but from what I've heard:

We didn't pay a few wages in certain weeks last season but all those wages have now been paid. We've let go of probably our 6/7 top earners. This coming season is all about getting our books in order. The board seem to accept the fact that we may get relegated this season but we'll have our books in order by the end of it. Our starting 11 still isn't too bad but if we get many injuries/suspensions, we'll be in serious trouble.

Any Town fans who know more, feel free to add to this....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Similar situation may hit Galway this year?
    Can't see it happening at Galway this year. While it is a huge step moving to a full-time set-up, something i didn't think I'd ever see, I think the clubs budget is within its means. Fundraising schemes are well organised (700 tickets sold for Black and White Ball at 150 euro a pop for example.) Season ticket and merchandising revenue is up. The only imponderable question is the teams performance. Hopefully it will be good enough to stay up but they can't say they aren't being given every chance in terms of preparation. Fingers crossed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor View Post
    Well Man U is a unique case as they were bought out by a yank who saddled them with debt. Arsenal built a new stadium, which explains theirs. Celtic posted their biggest profit in years just recently, as did both Utd and Arsenal by the way. So not all bad.....
    i know the situations but i mean these clubs are still alllowed operate even thoght there debts are huge.

sure leeds were sc***** at E100 million
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast