Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Summer Soccer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Summer Soccer

I was never a devotee of summer soccer, but no matter what kind of a genius Noel C is, we'd definitely have lost a few fixtures had the seasons continued the old way - not to mention the number of away games that would have been postponed. So while we may not have had any increase in gates when we went to summer soccer, that was probably more to do with our lack of success on the field than when the matches were on.

Not too many would have relished the trip up the Dyke Rd. with what we've been subjected to weatherwise since the end of last season A backlog of fixtures would have affected the clubs ability to trade - although not as much as when they were heavily reliant on gate receipts for cash flow.

So it took me awhile - but I've come around to the notion of summer soccer - especially with no international distractions in the summer ahead.
    Less Whining
    Less Moaning

What are YOU doing to make it better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTown View Post
    .... So while we may not have had any increase in gates when we went to summer soccer...
    ah... i'm sorry but were u at any of our games at the end of last season???
    on a couple of occasions we topped attendances in both divisions

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

i must admit

theres been a few friday nights recently when even i have uttered the words "thank God im not up in terryland tonight",and this is coming from me who once stood for the full 90mins on the old uncovered terrace in a near blizzard to watch us get stuffed by cork i think it was.
    im not a convert to summer footie yet though.i hope that if/when this new league grows in stature that we can go back to a good old sept-may footie season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Reply to Galway Girl

Hi Galway Girl: I was at all home games last season & the one before that and the one one before that and the one before that............roughly back to the late 70s with a few exceptions.

The attendances at home to Dundalk & Shamrock Rovers at the end of the season were exceptional and not the norm.

We may have been top of the Eircom League attendance list last season but
    the basic point I was trying to make was that whether it is winter or summer supporters are attracted to a winning team - playing well is a bonus - but not obligatory!

When League of Ireland / National League soccer was in its infancy in Galway, there were literally thousands attending home games even though we had to apply for re-election to the league in several of the early years. It would be brilliant to get those kind of numbers back up the Dyke Road again.
    Less Whining
    Less Moaning

What are YOU doing to make it better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTown View Post
    Hi Galway Girl: I was at all home games last season & the one before that and the one one before that and the one before that............roughly back to the late 70s with a few exceptions.

The attendances at home to Dundalk & Shamrock Rovers at the end of the season were exceptional and not the norm.

We may have been top of the Eircom League attendance list last season but
    the basic point I was trying to make was that whether it is winter or summer supporters are attracted to a winning team - playing well is a bonus - but not obligatory!

When League of Ireland / National League soccer was in its infancy in Galway, there were literally thousands attending home games even though we had to apply for re-election to the league in several of the early years. It would be brilliant to get those kind of numbers back up the Dyke Road again.
    Sorry MyTown, i was only slaggin. i remember what the crowds were like. maybe not back 2 the late 70s but i do remember frm the mid eighties onwards....
    I'd love to see those numbers back up the dyke road again as well