First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Good News for the eL??

From the star:

Clus agree cuts

MAJOR cuts in wages and squad sizes were yesterday agreed by the English Football League clubs as they bid to solve the financial crisis.
    It was decided that teams may spend only a set percentage - initially 60% but eventually 50% - of their turnover on player wages.
    The deal has still to be formally adopted but it is likely to mean further cuts in playing staff. The clubs even considered limiting the size of squads to 24.
    Last summer 500 professionals struggled to find clubs and the figure is expected to be higher next summer.
    In 2001-2002 first Division clubs paid out 101% of turnover in wages.

On another point, why is the english F.A. allowing this, it's going to widen the gap between the Premier and the first division...

but... do I care...
    Last edited by Xlex; 22/11/2002 at 9:04 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think it is great news.
    From a purely selfish point of view, if the sort of numbers of players who will be let go actually happens, I'd reckon Cork City could get almost a team of local lads coming back to Cork.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think it is great news.
    From a purely selfish point of view, if the sort of numbers of players who are predicted to be let go actually happens, I'd reckon Cork City could get almost a team of local lads coming back to Cork.

But, the important thing is that clubs here be properly run to take advantage of the situation. Lads coming back will be fairly p*ssed off with the whole situation and shoddily run training sessions, bad preparation etc. could turn a lot of them off the eL.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    While i wouldn't take joy in the demise of any clubs (even english ones) i think this is good news at nationwide clubs have been paying crazy money to players throughout the divisions for years now.

While its a boost for the eL (should pretty much see the end of young irish teenages moving to 2nd or 3rd division english clubs) i don't know if the FAI & eL will be proactive enough to take full advantage of this opportunity.

The FAI & eL really should have a plan to create regional youth academies leading to the choice of football careers in ireland for thoser that want it & are good enough.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!