Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    An out and out tricky winger?
    No, more of a ball player with an aggressive streak
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quinn is about 2 years behind Mc Geady to be honest. He looks promising but to be honest he has a while to go to be like Mc Geady yet.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Quinn is about 2 years behind Mc Geady to be honest. He looks promising but to be honest he has a while to go to be like Mc Geady yet.
    Yeah he has a while to go before he's sitting on Celtic's bench waiting to come on against Dunfermiline behind both Maloney and Riordan. Get real man. Do you seriously think McGeady would pull up any trees in the Premiership? He wouldn't even get a regular game for anyone.

Overrated, overhyped as I've always said. Average at best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think you're being unfair on McGeady. Maloney looks be going to Villa. I hope he joins them tonight just to show you how good the guy is. Riordan scored about 60 goals in 3 seasons at Hibs. He has only made 3 league starts for Celtic this season so obviously isn't ahead of McGeady. McGeady has got 5 goals and 7 assists this season. He does have an end product despite what some people think.

btw - McGeady and Quinn were both born on the same day.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    You can catch the end of the Sheffield Fulham match on PPmate (StarSports channel) right now. May see a bit of S Quinn.
    (edit just recorded a clip may try and upload it somewhere.)
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 31/01/2007 at 6:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I just saw a few clips from the match. He did very well to set up the 2nd goal. He also should have had had another assist on the 80th minute. He ran at a Fulham defender, a little lollypop and dropped the shoulder. The Fulham player went to ground and Quinn sent in a superb cross which Hulse should have got his head to. Looks excellent from those few clips.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Young cost £9m because he's English. Kevin Doyle cost £70k because he's Irish. These clubs that pay that kind of money deserve everything they get.
    And next season when they all pick up £30m regardless of where they finish, will any of them behave any differently?
    Correction Kevin Doyle cost 70k because he is not English and not because he is Irish. Check out this recent article in the Guardian, the crazy transfer fees have not gone unnoticed -

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comme...995477,00.html

Of course Cork City being incompetent didn't help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Yeah he has a while to go before he's sitting on Celtic's bench waiting to come on against Dunfermiline behind both Maloney and Riordan. Get real man. Do you seriously think McGeady would pull up any trees in the Premiership? He wouldn't even get a regular game for anyone.

Overrated, overhyped as I've always said. Average at best.
    Mc Geady has far more games under his belt both at SPL and at a higher level than Quinn so he is further on his development than Quinn is. Its only been in recent weeks that Mc Geady has been on the bench and as Riordan has only started 3 times he is hardly behind him. I would say he has more starts this season than Maloney and Riordan put together and Maloney is off to Villa. Quinn could turn out to be a better player than Mc Geady but at this point in time Mc Geady is further developed and has more experience at both International Champions League and basic first team football that S. Quinn does.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Mc Geady has far more games under his belt both at SPL and at a higher level than Quinn so he is further on his development than Quinn is. Its only been in recent weeks that Mc Geady has been on the bench and as Riordan has only started 3 times he is hardly behind him. I would say he has more starts this season than Maloney and Riordan put together and Maloney is off to Villa. Quinn could turn out to be a better player than Mc Geady but at this point in time Mc Geady is further developed and has more experience at both International Champions League and basic first team football that S. Quinn does.
    I claimed Quinn to look to be at present a more talented player than McGeady irrespective of how many more years of experience McGeady has. Quinn looks to be more capable to me at present so the comparison is justified. I am unfortunately unable to predict how they'll compare in 2 years so I'll go on the here and now (not the past either).

I also would seriously question your assertion that McGeady has far more games at a higher level than Quinn. How many higher level games does he play in a season than the Premiership? Very few if any.

Anyway experience is not in question here. JOS has more experience than most but is still muck.
    Last edited by youngirish; 01/02/2007 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well there is no point in debating with someone who is of the view that all games in the SPL are much. Mc Geady has been excellent any time I have seen him for Celtic this year. He has curtailed the tricks and has become much more productive with the ball. S. Quinn has less than 10 starts at first team football in in the EPL.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Maloney looks be going to Villa. I hope he joins them tonight just to show you how good the guy is.
    This deal went through last night. Keep an eye on him as you seem to think McGeady can't be that great if he's behind Maloney in the pecking order. Maloney would be the star man in that Sheffield United team. Seriously, keep tabs on him. If he lives up to the hype I'm giving him then you'll have to realise that just because you play for Celtic doesn't mean you're rubbish. If he fails I'll look like a right fool. Basically, McGeady was playing to Maloney's level for the first 2 months of this season (before he got injured). We'll see how Maloney does in the league you admire so much.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 01/02/2007 at 1:23 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    This deal went through last night. Keep an eye on him as you seem to think McGeady can't be that great if he's behind Maloney in the pecking order. Maloney would be the star man in that Sheffield United team. Seriously, keep tabs on him. If he lives up to the hype I'm giving him then you'll have to realise that just because you play for Celtic doesn't mean you're rubbish (McGeady was the star man for the first 2 months of the season). If he fails I'll look like a right fool.
    You may be surprised but I don't go with that notion that all Celtic players are rubbish. I just think it's a lot easier for them up in the SPL than in the Premeirship (or International for that matter). Take Petrov for example, absolutely brilliant in the SPL for Celtic, good at best for Villa in the Premiership.

It's hard to say how good McGeady can be but he's not making the strides in his development that were possibly expected a couple of seasons ago.
    Last edited by youngirish; 01/02/2007 at 2:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    That's the thing, Petrov wasn't absolutely brilliant. He was overrated and I've always said it. He's a very good passer of the ball but not a great tackler. He scored an average of one in 4 games in the SPL. Basically he was like the Lampard of Scotland, he would sacrifice a lot of the defensive side of the game to get up into goalscoring positions. Whenever he played in the centre of a 4-4-2 in a tough game he was pretty average.

For Bulgaria he was rarely outstanding and in Europe he scored 4 goals in 50 games, 2 of those against worse than SPL opposition. I couldn't believe O'Neill paid £8m for him and I was delighted.

We know the SPL is a very poor league. It's not as bad as you see it but the lower half teams are bottom Championship, top League 1 level. Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen would be equivalent to the top half Championship teams. That's the level he's playing at. The fact that he's playing for a team that scored over 100 goals in all competitions last season and does most of the attacking in games has to be taken into account too.

The standard is poor but I find it pretty simple to judge a player even though he's playing against poorer opposition. I'd find it just as easy to judge McGeady in Caley Park as I would in Villa Park. What I'm trying to say is forget that he's playing in the SPL. It is very, very easy to make a judgement on McGeady or Gravesen, Jarosik, Vennegoor, Lennon, Maloney, Sno, etc. playing for Celtic. I'm hoping Maloney's move to Villa will show this.

I don't agree that he's not developing as much as he could be. I mentioned Ribery before. He bought by 3 French 3rd division clubs and spent 3 seasons in that division and was only signed by Metz at the age McGeady is now. He was hardly taken the French 3rd division by storm if it took 3 years for him to get noticed. Look at him now. He had a great world cup (bar the opening game), was the best player in France last season and is constantly linked to the likes of Arsenal and Real Madrid.

McGeady is a much better player than he was 2 years ago. He is improving all the time. He doesn't see himself as a winger though. He'll never rip down the wing and get in a cross while running at full speed. In fact, I can't remember the last time he set up a goal with a cross. All his assists are through balls. He's a very nervous player though and it'll take a huge performance from him before he settles in the Ireland team. Before that he'll be mainly keeping it simple as the last thing he wants to do is have a nightmare.

here's his thoughts:
    "Overall, in 2006, I feel I was improving as a player over the year but I know I've got to keep progressing. There are definitely aspects of my game that have improved over the year, such as goalscoring, tracking back and attacking play."
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 01/02/2007 at 2:29 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    It will be interesting to see how he (if he plays) and celtic get on against milan in a couple of weeks.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    "On December 1, Alan Quinn had played all but one game for Sheffield United, and his brother Stephen had yet to make an appearance. From that point, all things changed in the Quinn family - Stephen played in the next two games, and found the net just 140 minutes into his Premiership career. Since then he's stolen his brother's place in the side (Alan has played just 113 minutes, in contrast to Stephen's 755), hit the goal that earned a draw against Pompey and managed as many Premiership assists as either Stewart Downing or Aaron Lennon has provided all season. More good news? Their younger brother Keith is captain of the youth team, and he's supposed to be pretty handy too." From Football365

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234