Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Scully & Fenlon swap shop?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Scully & Fenlon swap shop?

Rovers primed to make surprise move for Fenlon -Irish Independent

SHAMROCK ROVERS are waiting in the background to make a sensational move for Pat Fenlon if family considerations prevent him from taking over as the new manager of Derry City .

Pat Scully led the Hoops to the first division championship this season, but he is one of the favourites to replace Fenlon at Shelbourne.

It's understood that millionaire businessman John Courtenay, the owner of Umbro Ireland, is interested in ploughing cash into Rovers - and appointing Fenlon, who is a lifelong Hoops supporter, as manager now that he's available.

Courtenay and Fenlon are close friends and the millionaire businessman has been in talks at various stages over the past decade about investing money in Ireland's most successful club.

Even as recently as last year, before Scully was appointed to the Rovers hot seat, it was mooted that the Umbro tycoon would interested in luring Fenlon if the event of him deciding to become involved with the Hoops.

But, first, Fenlon must decide whether to accpet Derry's offer to take over from Stephen Kenny at the Brandywell.

Sources close to the former Shels boss say that he has reservations about relocating to the Maiden City with his wife and two young children, who are aged six and ten. Additionally, there is the management of a family-run cleaning business in Dublin to consider.

Reports on Foyleside yesterday said that Fenlon was in the city for a meeting with Derry officials, who are keen to have someone in place swiftly as several of their players are out of contract.

Some of Shelbourne's players are monitoring the Fenlon developments before making a decision about their futures.

However, Ollie Cahill has agreed to join Drogheda United and he could be joined on Boyneside by Stuart Byrne, who is also out of contract with the league champions.

Liam Kearney will return to Cork, while Dave Rogers is also set to leave Tolka, with St Patrick's Athletic joining Bohemians in the race for his services.

Colin Hawkins has emerged as a target for Stephen Kenny at Dunfermline but he remains under contract with Shels and the SPL club may not have the cash to make a bid for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would tie in with what I have heard which is that Fenlon will not go to Derry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    See the rumours thread.

Widely known that the stumbling block for Fenlon is upping sticks to Derry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I suppose this move will determine the extent of his ambition within the game. If he's refusing a job because of having to move 150 miles up the road, then he obviusly is happy tipping away in Dublin. Kenny on the other hand would seem to be prepared to move anywhere that he feels will help him up the ladder.

Horses for courses I suppose and I'd like to wish him all the best wherever he goes.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Surprised at McDonnell writing rubbish like that. I'd have Scully over Fenlon any day. Jury is still out on Courtney.

KOH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    Rovers primed to make surprise move for Fenlon -Irish Independent

SHAMROCK ROVERS are waiting in the background to make a sensational move for Pat Fenlon if family considerations prevent him from taking over as the new manager of Derry City .

Pat Scully led the Hoops to the first division championship this season, but he is one of the favourites to replace Fenlon at Shelbourne.

It's understood that millionaire businessman John Courtenay, .
    Is this the guy who done so brilliantly at Carlisle with Roddy?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Is this the guy who done so brilliantly at Carlisle with Roddy?
    Sure is. Same guy who we didn't hear a peep out of when Rovers nearly went to the wall.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Scully is very much liked by the Rovers fans so I can't see them letting him go to Shels.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Scully is very much liked by the Rovers fans so I can't see them letting him go to Shels.
    That would mean nothing if he decided to go.

Scully has had two seasons in the league as a manager. In his first with Kilkenny he finished a very credible 4th with no money. In his second season we won the league with a brand new team that changed during the season. So in effect after ditching a lot of players this season we still won it. All this on a very strict budget.

Fenlon has won leagues with an enormous budget. Spending money that the club didnt have unlike Rovers. I dont think we would have won the league this season with Fenlon in charge.

Scully is the most professional manager in the league and has a superb board backing him. You wont hear immature outbursts from him or his players.

The story is drivel. End of.

KOH

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Your greatest worry, if he did.

But lets hope he stays where he is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Davy View Post
    Your greatest worry, if he did.

But lets hope he stays where he is.
    Why would it worry me?

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mmmmmmmm

Did you jsut say you wont hear outbursts from Scully or his players? who was fined tihs season was it Fenlon? nope

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shels4ever View Post
    Did you jsut say you wont hear outbursts from Scully or his players? who was fined tihs season was it Fenlon? nope
    Stupid post. Fenlon has behaved like a spoilt brat muppet for many seasons now. Scully told it like it was, in a civil and dignified manner, and got absolutely hammered by the FAI over it. Joke.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shels4ever View Post
    I think NY was referring to outbursts relating to internal club situations. Scully was fined for making a remark in relation to the running of the league, it had nothing to do with Rovers as a club.

The Rovers board and Scully have an excellent relationship and both sing from the same sheet in terms of professionalism and fiscal responsibility, something that has clearly been lacking at Hellbourne over recent seasons.
    Champions.
    16 leagues & 24 cups.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stupid

Fenlon has been great over the last 2 season, he doesnt comment that often on off the field matters, Ok the Derry game he did and prob should have stayed quite, but that was jsut hte pressure and his will to win,
    Don't get me wrong Scully was out of order toow ith what he said but the League went way way over borad on him, With Fenlon gone i'd love Scully to take over, was a class captain and a great man. Has done great with Rovers so I can't see them letting him go , even for Fenlon.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Hoop View Post
    Scully has had two seasons in the league as a manager. In his first with Kilkenny he finished a very credible 4th with no money. In his second season we won the league with a brand new team that changed during the season. So in effect after ditching a lot of players this season we still won it. All this on a very strict budget.

Fenlon has won leagues with an enormous budget. Spending money that the club didnt have unlike Rovers. I dont think we would have won the league this season with Fenlon in charge.
    You can't compare winning Premier Division titles and winning one First Division title, regardless of the scenario. Money doesn't guarantee success.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    With all due respect to Scully. He has done brilliant in his short managerial career.
    But doing great with a strict budget is a little misleading.
    Without having insider info on the budgets of all First Division clubs, I would at a guess say that he had as much to spend as Galway and Dundalk. Which is reflected in the league positions.
    Most of the other clubs in the league were operating on less than half of the bigger clubs.
    Kildare County, for instance were operating on 900-1000 per week. My guess is Rovers were operating on 6000+ per week.
    That said, Scully has shown from his time in Kilkenny, that he is very capable of assembling a good squad of players on a shoestring budget.
    He is a young manager going places and could yet follow Kenny in the near future. Good luck to him.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This thread is now redundant given what Aertel announced earlier that Pat Fenlon has taken the Derry City job.