Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Further Afield

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Further Afield

Maybe it might be worth a go getting in an experienced manager who is not a former Irish international. I'm thinking of somone like George Graham or Trappitoni.
    Any thoughts?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Further Afield

Originally posted by nelo
    Maybe it might be worth a go getting in an experienced manager who is not a former Irish international. I'm thinking of somone like George Graham or Trappitoni.
    Any thoughts?
    If Trappitoni can't hack it with Italy don't think he'd be too successful with Ireland.

Any "foreign" manager would likely take a good while to figure out the players available to him...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    what about Philippe Trousier - anyone know what he's up to these days?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Originally posted by joe
    what about Philippe Trousier - anyone know what he's up to these days?
    ...auditioning for Harry Potter, wasn't it?

Donie

brine2
    Who is deleting my posts?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I dunno. Thats the problem with sacking McCarthy- who would want the job?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cant really see any well-experienced manager from the top flights of any country putting up with some of the rubbish the FAi deal out.
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by Magoo
    Cant really see any well-experienced manager from the top flights of any country putting up with some of the rubbish the FAi deal out.
    Thats the bare bones of it. I´m sure there are better organised sunday league sides. It´s walking into a lions den to take that job.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    having said that all the same that still leaves the two boys - Brian Kerr and Joe Kinnear - left 'cos i reckon they would defo consider the offer. I'd rather Kinnear meself.
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

brine2
    Can Kinnear handle it though, with his heart problems and all? Plus, he achieved success with Wimbledon by playing the longball. Do we really want to go back to the longball days?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    dunno how much he is on now but the reason kinnear didnt take the job in 96 was cos he would have to take an 80 percent pay cut and he was managing wimbledon at the time . So it shows that whoever takes over from mick whenever he goes will have to do the job cos of a desire to do it not for any financial gain

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by brine2
    Can Kinnear handle it though, with his heart problems and all? Plus, he achieved success with Wimbledon by playing the longball. Do we really want to go back to the longball days?
    I was very much in favour of Kinnear in96, but I dunno if he´s be the right man for the job now.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The crucial factor to consider when selecting a suitable candidate for the Irish job is how the candiate would cope with the limited resources available.
    With this in mind I feel O'Leary would be unsuitable - he spent a huge amount of money at Leeds and won nothing.

Not sure a top continental manager like Trappatoni would work either. Granted he would leave he likes of McCarthy for dead in terms of tactical nous but like it or not the manager needs to have an indepth knowledge of the Premier league and equally importantly the lower divisions when many of our younger players are playing. I also feel he is unproven with limited resources.

On the other hand someone like Kinnear has achieved plenty on a tight budget at Wimbledon. While they were never the most attractive to watch they were better than the Wimbledon of the Dave Basset days.

I'd be reluctant to move Kerr from work he is doing at the under age level. The last thing we need right now is the conveyor belt to stop. We are getting a reasonable number of players coming through the underage structure and Kerr is crucial to that process. The FAI have screwed up plenty lately but their continuing commitment to fielding as many underage teams as possible should be applauded.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by dosullivan
    .....Not sure a top continental manager like Trappatoni would work either. Granted he would leave he likes of McCarthy for dead in terms of tactical nous but like it or not the manager needs to have an indepth knowledge of the Premier league and equally importantly the lower divisions when many of our younger players are playing. I also feel he is unproven with limited resources.
    I am refering to the English Premier league.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Further Afield

Originally posted by pete

If Trappitoni can't hack it with Italy don't think he'd be too successful with Ireland.

Hold on a minute, Italy didn't have a great World Cup but other than Brazil no major team did. Over the last 25 years, Trapittoni has won eight league titles, a European Cup, a Cup Winners' Cup, three Uefa Cups, the European/South American Cup and two Italian Cups. With the exception of Alex Ferguson no other current club manager in the world has a record quite like that. And we are going to sign a manager directly from a club in all likelyhood.
    I feel we need to broaden our horizons and sign someone with real experience and a real record. I think the FAI also need to bring in some technical experiance to rearrange their whole bloody organisation, someone who knows how to run a professional association from the grass up.
    We need an experienced technical director working behind the scenes, if even on a part time basis.
    As for Joe Kinnear current ability, last year he took over the Luton job which was pretty messy at the time. In 1 season alone he transformed the clubs fortunes and got them promoted. He is the best of the Irish talent out there, but really we should consider international help if possible.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Re: Re: Further Afield

Originally posted by nelo

Hold on a minute, Italy didn't have a great World Cup but other than Brazil no major team did. Over the last 25 years, Trapittoni has won eight league titles, a European Cup, a Cup Winners' Cup, three Uefa Cups, the European/South American Cup and two Italian Cups. With the exception of Alex Ferguson no other current club manager in the world has a record quite like that.
    Being devils advocate for a while here but................didn't he have tons of cash to just buy players at Juventus?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agreed, Trap's record compares VERY favourably with ANY manager EVER in the history of the game. Still though, would he really want to take on a job as s**t as the Irish hotseat? Very much doubt it when the money, lifestyle etc are way better elsewhere.

Murphy Out Now!!!
    McCarthy Out Now!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Yeah, I can't see him taking the job, even if the FAI did offer it to him.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Schumi
    Yeah, I can't see him taking the job, even if the FAI did offer it to him.
    Of course he wouldn't, he'd be absolutely mad to. Currently managing Ireland is the job from Hell. It's nice to dream though.

Murphy Out Now!!!
    McCarthy Out Now!!!