Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stan Passing The Buck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Stan Passing The Buck

From the indo

STEVE STAUNTON has claimed he was on the verge of including rising defensive star Paul McShane in the starting line-up for Ireland's horror show in Cyprus before advice from international consultant Bobby Robson influenced a change of heart.

The West Brom defender was subsequently drafted in due to injuries and suspension to play a man-of-the-match role in the 1-1 draw with the Czech Republic four days later, which led many observers to question if the Wicklow lad should have been included in Nicosia ahead of the out-of-sorts Andy O'Brien.

And Staunton admitted yesterday - while naming his squad for next Wednesday's European Championship qualifier with San Marino - that McShane was in contention to start in the 5-2 defeat to Cyprus, only for a rethink aided by input from Robson, who was recovering from brain surgery and missed the trip.

Impressed

"He (McShane) had impressed all week in training and was very close to playing in Cyprus but after chatting to Bobby Robson we went with our strongest back four," said Staunton.

"Unfortunately we all know what happened on the night and you'd swear the four of them had never played together in their lives, but that's life, you've got to get on with it.

"It went badly for our back five, and I'm not singling out any individual. I thought the back five as a unit weren't up to scratch but I've seen that Andy is back and played against Manchester United for Portsmouth.

"He's obviously doing something right so it's down to him. The more games he gets the better, for his confidence as well as everything else," he added.

McShane and O'Brien are included in the 23-man squad Staunton has named for the visit of the Group D whipping boys to Lansdowne Road next Wednesday.

Casualty

However, one high-profile casualty is Paddy Kenny, who missed the Czech game after keeping goal for the thrashing by the Cypriots. Staunton said yesterday that the player's well-documented personal problems had also been a factor in his exclusion.

Shay Given is back in the squad after his miracle recovery, although Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder says he will have to prove his fitness at club level first, even if the Irish manager believes it will take a "brave man" to stop the Donegal native coming to Dublin.

"Shay is looking forward to it. We'll assess him in training and see how it goes before we think about starting him," said the Louth man.

"Wayne (Henderson) has come in and put himself in the shop window by doing so well. I always said if people come in and take their chance they will be rewarded."

One youngster who will have to wait for his opportunity is Falkirk's Anthony Stokes, whose goal-scoring feats while on loan from Arsenal have taken Scotland by storm.

The 18-year-old missed out on the senior cut and was included in Pat Devlin's 'B' squad for the game with Scotland at Dalymount Park next Tuesday.

Yet there could be problems with his involvement in the game as Stokes is on club duty in a Scottish Premier League match against Hearts the previous night.

Another member of Devlin's squad with a similar dilemma is Kevin Deery - one of four eircom League players included - who has a crucial Premier Division match with Waterford United on Monday.

"We can just name them in the squad and whatever happens after that we will just have to deal with," said Devlin. "We want them here and that's it."

Daniel McDonnell
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It was a decent central midfielder you were missing, Stan, you sack of bile!
    He also says in that paper today, that San Marino will be no pushover. Is their no end to his stupidity!?
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Didn't know about poor old Paddy Kenny’s troubles until I read Stan's quote but its in the Sun, if it can be believed

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006480868,00.html
    Always look on the bright side of life

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    No way is Stan passing the buck.
    He is talking about the back 4 and complementing McShane and how close McShane came to being selected in Cyprus. Nothing more.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    And O'Brien getting himself back into the Pompey team!!! Reason was because they were missing 3/4 of the first choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    No way is Stan passing the buck.
    He is talking about the back 4 and complementing McShane and how close McShane came to being selected in Cyprus. Nothing more.
    I dunno about passing the buck but he spoke about his back four against cyprus as if it was beyond any input from him that they played so badly.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    He should be passed his P45.

Is he not responsible for the team selection instead of an ill Bobby Robson sitting 1000 miles away in a hospital bed recovering from brain surgery? How would Bobby know how well they were getting on in training?

Not surprising Kenny's wife done a runner on him. After watching the Holland and Cyprus games it was obvious he couldn't hold onto anything.
    Last edited by youngirish; 08/11/2006 at 4:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    He should be passed his P45.

Is he not responsible for the team selection instead of an ill Bobby Robson sitting 1000 miles away in a hospital bed recovering from brain surgery? How would Bobby know how well they were getting on in training?
    Suggesting that keeping a stable back four was sensible, and if an old pro like Sir Bobby tells you to do that, you listen. I agree Stuanton should go, but not for listening to the voice of experience.

Not surprising Kenny's wife done a runner on him. After watching the Holland and Cyprus games it was obvious he couldn't hold onto anything.
    Ooh, bitchy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Comments like this are stupid. The guy goes in goal for Ireland and makes a few mistakes and you are making petty stupid remarks about his personal life.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm actually bewildered at some of the comments about Kenny. He wasn't that bad. 1 or 2 mistakes in 2 games. Everyone makes them. Steve Finnan was as bad as him in Cyprus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Very poor from Staunton - pass some of the blame for Ireland's inept performance onto the guy recovering from brain surgery Don't see how picking McShane could have greatly affected the outcome of the game. In fact, the lack of protection might well have given his confidence a huge dent in his debut game.

Quote Originally Posted by STAN
    "It went badly for our back five, and I'm not singling out any individual... but I've seen that Andy is back and played against Manchester United for Portsmouth... The more games he gets the better, for his confidence as well as everything else," he added.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Stan should keep his mouth shut. The more he speaks the bigger fool he looks.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    San Marino will be Brazil come matchday. Why mention robson's input to a journo if indeed robson even suggested leaving out Mcshane. What is achieved by these comments? I notice "Stan" made no mention of his own tactics, substitutions etc.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 08/11/2006 at 9:45 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Ans here was me thinking Stan was the Gaffer? It is almost fun to see Stan trip over every possible obstacle and himself to boot. Rookie, rookie, rookie.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wasn't Robson on his deathbed when he made the decision to leave out McShane. It was probably a case of Stan standing over the bed saying "Blink yer eyes once fer McShane, twice fer O'Brien".

Get rid of the clown.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Steve Finnan was as bad as him in Cyprus.
    Nonsense. Finnan was miles worse!

Kenny actually made two crucial fingertip saves, one at 0-0, from a Finnan underhit back pass and another immediately after Dunne's equaliser, touching a shot onto the bar. I don't think he got credit for either but replays show he got a crucial touch in each case.

I'm not sure how he can be blamed for any of the second half goals but I agree that he failed to command his area well.

Who cares who's in nets against San Marino anyway?
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 09/11/2006 at 9:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    I think the point is not whether Stan should or shouldn't of taken Robson's advice, IMO the fact that Stan is now going public about how the decison to include O'Brien in front of McShane was reached is what's interesting... it smacks of yet again his poor decision making... ie by coming out with this comment he's (1) underminded Robson by appearing to "blame" him and (2) he's also underminded himself by creating the impression that Robson is making the "big"decisions. You can only have one man in charge and the book stops with Stan and thus IMO he was stupid to mention this as it only makes him look stupid/inexperienced etc...but hey what's new !!

Also his comments yesterday about San Marino been tough opposition... did he miss the fact that they recently lost 13-0....is there no end to his ability to speak crap

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Comments like this are stupid. The guy goes in goal for Ireland and makes a few mistakes and you are making petty stupid remarks about his personal life.
    I'm sure he reads these forum messages everyday and will be devastated. Grow up and try climbing out of your own ar*e. I thought it was funny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am grown up thats why I dont make petty personal comments about people I dont know.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Yoga

Stan should have a new form of Yoga named after him. One that entails putting ones feet in ones mouth and talking out ones hole at the same time.

As for Paddy Kenny/Sun story - I reckon I have a healthy predisposition when it comes to the Sun ...if it's in it, it's not true til proven otherwise.

Who cares who's in nets against San Marino anyway?
    David Galtieri sure as sh1t wouldn't. He hardly still plays for them but, man if he does, we'd better be sharp for the opening 7 seconds.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast