Page 63 of 379 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 7565

Thread: Robbie Keane

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stan won't put him in his place though, he's made him captain (?) and has allied himself to Keane, in much the same way that Eriksson did with Beckham.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenokelly View Post
    Put Anto Stokes up with Doyle in Croker wnd be done with it. The 2 goals on Sunday proves Keane has such talent but he has no heart.

Every Irish game is like a holiday for him.

I sware lads, as Irish fans we're being painted as mindless tabloid readers by the FAI and even some former players to counter the recent poor performances of the team, manager and the Ascotiation.... But ridiculous comments like that give them credence!!

Keane is our best available forward.... But he should never be beyond getting subbed. End of!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    i thought in the past that maybe we should play him in an advanced midfield role. it mightn't work, but i think it's at least worth a try in a friendly at some point. robbie does seem to work a lot better with the right partner (generally taller players) but at the moment he doesn't seem to be working with the other strikers in the squad and the only target man option seems to be alan lee who has been tried and didn't seem up to international football. so i think we should either drop him or play him deeper.
    There is so much wrong with this post. Murph you are probably right in terms of where Keane would be effective minus a front man - attacking midfield , and you are definitly right in saying he plays well off a big man.
    But to do the first option, you would have to change the system in some way shape or form. Either the wingers would have to be dropped, making a three man midfield with Keane advanced behind two strikers or, a three man functional midfield with two advance players off a man striker.
    This was tried by Kerr and the players themselves said we should stick to what we know. Basically stop trying anything different and let us at 442. Also anytime we do play two off a striker, one of the 'two off' tend to be not suited to the position. A la Elliot against Croatia and Sweden. Why not play Duff and Keane behind Doyle? Or McGeady and Keane behind Long/Stokes?
    And as for Alan Lee being tried in international football, don;t give me that. When we 'try' players in matches, its usually out of position or surrounded by other newbies who we're also trying out!
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Doyle and Keane really should compliment each other quite well. Doyles good in the air and makes the ball stick. Keane could easily drop off him and come deep and with us and our remarkably limited midfield options this could well be the answer. Two sitting midfielders in S Reid and Carsley and then play with two out and out wingers in Duff and McGeady. I think when Doyles out its more of a problem because we simply don't have anyone else to lead the line, Robbie for all his qualities isn't really a centre foward, the other options in Morrison/Lee/Stokes aren't really at the level required, yet in the case of Stokes.

and as for players deciding that they know 442 and they should stick to it....they should do as they're ****ing told and not be so english in they're outlook on the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    On a lighter aside(and god knows this thread needs it).....
    robbie is listed as one of Kevin Rowlands freinds on his official myspace...how random is that....
    deffo cant drop him now....
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=135573349

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Scored 2 again today and was sent off but I heard it was harsh. I will see later on MOTD2. Thats four goals in the last 3 games for him. Hope the rec card is recinded so he does not get suspended.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    On a slightly related note , when Keane got sent off , how stupid are footballers?
    Every time the ref makes a decision they disagree with they are all surrounding the ref and being generally agressive towards him and i cant remember any time this has had the effect of changing the refs mind.
    I wish they would treat the refs with the same respect rugby refs seem to get.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    On a lighter aside(and god knows this thread needs it).....
    robbie is listed as one of Kevin Rowlands freinds on his official myspace...how random is that....
    deffo cant drop him now....
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=135573349
    I was wondering it it was genuinely his, and apparently it is but someone else
    maintaiins it. Athough I suppose anyone can create a page using whatever name they like and say whatever they want and you have no way of knowing if is genuine or not. Damien Duff is on there also, as is Zidane and Maradonna,
    and no doubt Elvis.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I have seen the 'handball' frame by frame on my PC and you cannot say for sure he handballed it. I don't think he did but basically you have to 'guess' what happens between frames. He should be given the benefit of the doubt IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    On a slightly related note , when Keane got sent off , how stupid are footballers?
    Every time the ref makes a decision they disagree with they are all surrounding the ref and being generally agressive towards him and i cant remember any time this has had the effect of changing the refs mind.
    I wish they would treat the refs with the same respect rugby refs seem to get.
    A few weeks ago the Roma (I think) goalkeeper was sent off, and he politely pleaded with the referee, who then consulted with the linesman, and the red was commuted to yellow.
    "No regrets, none at all. My only regret is that we went out on penalties. That's my only regret. But no, no regrets." -Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Very much the exception that proves the rule however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Chest to hand for RK's red against Bolton, wouldn't be surprised if it's reduced to yellow on appeal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Saw it last night and it was a handball and a penalty but not a sending off. The reason being is that the ball hit his chest and then on to his hand so therefore was moving away from goal when it hit his hand, therefore he did not stop a goal with his had so its not a red card. The card should be appealed.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    ????????

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Originally Posted by gustavo
    Quote Originally Posted by Marked Man View Post
    ????????
    Yep, it´s very questionable.
    In order for the saying to have a context then Gustava (risking ridicule) would have to write, for example, 'No player can influence the ref to change a decision made against their team except the Roma goalkeeper.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Saw it last night and it was a handball and a penalty but not a sending off. The reason being is that the ball hit his chest and then on to his hand so therefore was moving away from goal when it hit his hand, therefore he did not stop a goal with his had so its not a red card. The card should be appealed.

The appeal was thrown out, shows what we know

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    dunno....didnt see the game but saw the two goals and they were great.
    does anyone else think that he can never do it for a whole season? he always seems to have a purple patch every year where he boosts his scoring tally? anyways good to see him scoring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepstealer View Post
    If youd asked me a few weeks back if Robbie deserved to be in the Irish team id have said no but now he seems rejuvenated.HOWEVER it is said this is due to his partnership with Beratov which may be true
    So, given that, who would you pick to partner him on the Irish team if playing with Kevin Doyle doesnt appear to work at present
    eh himself and doyle have only played like once or twice together for ireland-someone correct me if i'm wrong. expect it to be a good partnership
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i personally think doyle and elliott (when he comes back) looks like a better partnership. they linked up well and seemed to have better awareness of each other than the doyle keane partnership whereby doyle seemed to be chasing balls and doing all the work (and strangely looked like he was being used as a target man for some reason) whilst keane was basically in the wrong positions doing **** all

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Elliott : another one of the mediocre scampering midget brigade like Connolly. Yep, drop Robbie now that he appears to be back to form
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.