Results 7,541 to 7,554 of 7554

Thread: Robbie Keane

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    751 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    He was doing very well at Millwall ~ ~ Then when it was announced that he would be getting the Irish job at the end of the season ~ Millwall went in to a catastrophic free-fall ~ Were they even relegated ? ~ I can't remember but the free-fall was so bad that they must have ( I reckon )

Annouce-ing early in a season that a manager is leaving at the end of the season, rarely if ever works out well.

If McCarthy's cv was to be judged on that free-fall he would have been lucky to have ever got a job again. When all is said and done McCarthy did not have, that much of a managerial record when he got the Irish job the first time around.
    I don't think that's quite what happened. He left in February, at which time Millwall were still right up near the top of the table. He was replaced by a northern Irish manager, Jimmy Nicholl, and the team went into free fall under Nicholl and were relegated. But that can't really be blamed on Mick to be fair - he wasn't there when the collapse happened.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    I seem to have got quite a bit of that wrong as the information below proves ~ My memory must be going a bit ~ Anyway ~ Apologies ~

From wikipedia

McCarthy became player-manager at Millwall in March 1992, succeeding Bruce Rioch. In his first full season (1992–93), he was still registered as a player, but made only one further appearance (in the Anglo-Italian Cup), before he became solely a manager.[citation needed]
    He took the club to the play-offs in 1993–94 after a strong third-place finish, but they lost out to Derby County in the semi-finals. During the 1995–96 season, McCarthy became the prime candidate for the vacant Republic of Ireland manager's job, after the resignation of Jack Charlton. After a protracted period of speculation, McCarthy was officially appointed on 5 February 1996, two days after his resignation at the club. Despite sitting a comfortable 14 points clear from the relegation zone at the time of his departure, Millwall would go on to suffer the drop (by virtue of goals scored) after McCarthy's departure.[citation needed]
    His loan signings of the underachieving Russian internationals Sergei Yuran and Vassili Kulkov from Spartak Moscow, who each received a £150,000 signing-on fee and were being paid five times the wage of the rest of the first team, would later be cited[by whom?] as one of the main reasons Millwall were eventually relegated under Jimmy Nicholl, although it cannot be proven.[13]

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Another few wins for Robbie - Maccabi topped their Conference League group with 15 points to reach the last 16 of any European competition for the first time; it's also the first time they've won a European group.

The league has also resumed after two months off (which is a different thread of course - though it's interesting that there's been no talk of Israel being suspended from UEFA the same way Russia has been), and Keane has another two wins from two. Full record this season is 17 wins and 3 draws from 21 games. Scoring three goals a game too.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Another few wins for Robbie - Maccabi topped their Conference League group with 15 points to reach the last 16 of any European competition for the first time; it's also the first time they've won a European group.

The league has also resumed after two months off (which is a different thread of course - though it's interesting that there's been no talk of Israel being suspended from UEFA the same way Russia has been), and Keane has another two wins from two. Full record this season is 17 wins and 3 draws from 21 games. Scoring three goals a game too.
    Should be banned from all sporting organisations. Would hinder Keane's career, but is the right thing for the world to do.

7. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Great to Terry still alive in other forums.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Leaving aside all the politics of where hes working, it has to be said that Robbie is doing a fine job so far. I've probably said it a few times on here already, but my biggest hope for him was that he'd do well enough to get a 2nd job. He might be surpassing that at the moment with how well hes doing, he might find himself sought after if he keeps it up.

He'd actually be my personal 2nd favorite right now to take the Ireland job
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Leaving aside all the politics of where hes working, it has to be said that Robbie is doing a fine job so far. I've probably said it a few times on here already, but my biggest hope for him was that he'd do well enough to get a 2nd job. He might be surpassing that at the moment with how well hes doing, he might find himself sought after if he keeps it up.

He'd actually be my personal 2nd favorite right now to take the Ireland job
    It would be madness to give him the job now. That would be like giving Ronnie Whelan the job after he managed in Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    It would be madness to give him the job now. That would be like giving Ronnie Whelan the job after he managed in Cyprus
    Hes not going to get it, but based on how hes going so far I wouldnt be surprised to see him in the job in future

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    It would be madness to give Robbie Keane the job at anytime - he is a showboater who is interest in money and image.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Hes not going to get it, but based on how hes going so far I wouldnt be surprised to see him in the job in future
    Managing Maccabi Tel Aviv in Israel is like managing Celtic in Scotland - over the past eleven years they have won five championships, came second four times and third twice. They are owned by a Canadian billionaire. Israeli teams are restricted to six non-Israeli players so Maccabi Tel Aviv end up with all (or most) of the best Israeli players who haven't gone abroad - they currently have 7 players in the Israeli squad - all the other Israeli teams have 7 players combined. They have several players in their squad that cost in excess of €1million.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    It would be madness to give Robbie Keane the job at anytime - he is a showboater who is interest in money and image.
    Our greatest ever striker, but sure just a showboater

15. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Never say never but I'd like to see Robbie succeed at a different challenge before he would realistically come into contention for the job. Hopefully he does well this season and moves on up to a club on another level - maybe on the continent.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    I've moved the OT posts here. I take the point that they're football-related, but they're barely Keane related, so they belong somewhere else.

19. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Our greatest ever striker, but sure just a showboater
    Didn't say he wasn't a good footballer - he actually should have been better - but there is zero evidence that he is any good of a manager (for the same reason why there is zero evidence that Neil Lennon is any good).