Page 371 of 378 FirstFirst ... 271321361369370371372373 ... LastLast
Results 7,401 to 7,420 of 7554

Thread: Robbie Keane

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Maccabi Haifa are currently the team dominating in Israel winning the last three titles. Tel Aviv have finished 2nd, 3rd, and 3rd in the last three campaigns. Hopefully works out for him cause there's a serious lack of Irish managers in the professional game and even possibly coaches in general.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Robbie to train the lad who scores against Romania and sends us to the play off !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Robbie to train the lad who scores against Romania and sends us to the play off !
    Let's hope he's there long enough till they play in November. He'll be their sixth manager in three years and they've had around 30 in the last 23 years.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Boyhood dream etc etc etc
    At least try to do better than the usual gobsh1te comments on social media.

Will most likely be short lived stint based on their recent history of managers, but fair play to him for giving it a shot. Hopefully it gets him on the managerial merry-go-round where he at least might get a shot at a more stable job. If the likes of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are getting a chance at big jobs then Robbie is worth a look as a manager. Hope it goes well for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    At least try to do better than the usual gobsh1te comments on social media.

Will most likely be short lived stint based on their recent history of managers, but fair play to him for giving it a shot. Hopefully it gets him on the managerial merry-go-round where he at least might get a shot at a more stable job. If the likes of Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are getting a chance at big jobs then Robbie is worth a look as a manager. Hope it goes well for him.
    Wow! Are you triggered?? Just a silly joke. Sorry I offended you.
    Personally I wouldn't take a gig in Israel but that's just me. Wish Robbie all the best
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    How about just wishing him luck. He deserves a shot at management as much as anyone else. You probably would be unfamiliar with the The Fields of Athenry if it wasn't for Robbie.
    Jesus. What's going on here today? Is it a full moon?
    And on the other point, I'm a full-time musician so ....yeah I was already familiar with the fine work of Pete St John before Robbie burst on the scene.
    I love Robbie (not as much as you it seems) so I wish him all the best.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Wow! Are you triggered?? Just a silly joke. Sorry I offended you.
    Personally I wouldn't take a gig in Israel but that's just me. Wish Robbie all the best
    It's just a tired joke that every muppet on social media has been rolling out all day. It wasn't even funny 10 years ago when it was slightly relevant.

As for not taking a job in Israel, we can all have our principals but career ambition has to take priority sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    It's just a tired joke that every muppet on social media has been rolling out all day. It wasn't even funny 10 years ago when it was slightly relevant.

As for not taking a job in Israel, we can all have our principals but career ambition has to take priority sometimes.
    A tired joke indeed but nice to get it out of the way.

No huge problem with Robbie going to Israel really but just not something I would do personally.
    I’m sure he could’ve gotten a job elsewhere if he wanted to but at the same time, he’s a footballer, not a politician. And politics doesn’t belong in football anyway.
    For the antics of their goalkeeper with Andy O’Brien alone though….. ?
    I’m still angry about that one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts

No huge problem with Robbie going to Israel really but just not something I would do personally.
    I’m sure he could’ve gotten a job elsewhere if he wanted to but at the same time, he’s a footballer, not a politician. And politics doesn’t belong in football anyway.
    The only time I've ever wanted to get on a football pitch to have a go at a player was that keeper.

I think Robbie has wanted a manager job for a while so I think it's beggars can't be choosers. I hope it goes well enough for him to get s 2nd job.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    yeah, Palestine, whatevs...

But Dudu Awat was beyond the pale!

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts

Not sure he was exactly flooded with offers, being paid for years by the FAI as assistant Manager to the National team when the National manager dooesnt even want you around to pick up cones isnt exactly a badge of honour for your CV.

I hope he does well , he was brilient for Ireland as a player and i dont understand how he never gets the love that is thrown at some of hos international peers who achieved half what he did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I hope he does well , he was brilient for Ireland as a player and i dont understand how he never gets the love that is thrown at some of hos international peers who achieved half what he did.
    Some of it is pretty light hearted and harmless to be fair (in particular the boyhood dream stuff) but there has always been an undercurrent of begrudgery or something towards Robbie going way back. Totally undeserved. My peer-researched study concluded that most of it came from corkies or culchies therefore it was primarily because he was an exceptional Dub. The guy is a bona-fide Irish legend and, while not my favourite Irish player ever, probably objectively the GOAT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Some of it is pretty light hearted and harmless to be fair (in particular the boyhood dream stuff) but there has always been an undercurrent of begrudgery or something towards Robbie going way back. Totally undeserved. My peer-researched study concluded that most of it came from corkies or culchies therefore it was primarily because he was an exceptional Dub. The guy is a bona-fide Irish legend and, while not my favourite Irish player ever, probably objectively the GOAT.
    I read one comment yesterday " I hope hes a better manager than he was a player". Just one clown on Facebook, but there has always been an undercurrent of that kind of nonsense with peoples attitudes to him

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    The first post on this thread is wholly apt, all things considered...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The first post on this thread is wholly apt, all things considered...
    Jaysus, it sums it up alright

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023...maccabi-reins/

Sinn Féin TD Chris Andrews today called Maccabi an "apartheid club" and suggested Keane should have turned down the job due to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

"I don't want to get into politics," the 42-year-old replied when asked about criticism that has come in Ireland around his decision to take on the role.

"This is the last time I will say it. I’m here as a football man and someone that loves the game. I will certainly just focus on that but thanks for your question."

Ireland's record caps holder and goalscorer played in Italy, the USA and India in an eclectic and highly successful career. He was keen to stress his openness to new experiences.

"I'm not frightened of a challenge," he said. "A lot of players that have played in England, they are frightened to try a different opportunity or a different culture but I’m certainly not. I am excited by this.

"I strive for pressure. I've been used it to since I was younger. It doesn’t affect me. I’m a very secure person. I know what I need to do and I’m confident in myself and the team that will be around me. I look forward to it."

When asked about his football philosophy and overall vision, the Dubliner said: "I'm a winner, I want to win all the time. I want people around me that have the same mentality as me. I want them to play in a certain way and all pulling in the same direction.

"Everywhere I've been in my career, I’ve always gone for the reason to win and it’s no different here.

"I want to play attractive football, something the fans can be very proud of, something that they want to come and watch. We want to dominate the ball as much as possible, but by being clever in the final third and making things happen a little quicker than usual rather than playing football for the sake of it."

Maccabi Tel Aviv are Israel's most successful club but they have not won a league title in three years.

"Everyone is always going to have an opinion, that’s football, that’s why we love it," Keane added when reflecting on the expectations he'll face.

"I’ve been in the game for a long time, at a high level for a long time, I’m used to criticism. Does it bother me? No. All I can do is the best I can do for the football club. It might take a little bit of time but I’m here to hit the ground running from day one."
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Not sure he was exactly flooded with offers, being paid for years by the FAI as assistant Manager to the National team when the National manager dooesnt even want you around to pick up cones isnt exactly a badge of honour for your CV.

For sure, as a goal-scorer, Robbie was immense. But some of his antics on the pitch (trying to claim a goal from Jon Walters, claiming a goal from Noel Hunt, throwing a strop a couple of times when being subbed off) meant he’ll never get the love of one as humble as say Duffer or one as tigerish as Roy.

Also, the cartwheel celebration was pretty crap.
    But he certainly deserves lots of love for his incredible contribution and record that will probably never be beaten

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    For sure, as a goal-scorer, Robbie was immense. But some of his antics on the pitch (trying to claim a goal from Jon Walters, claiming a goal from Noel Hunt, throwing a strop a couple of times when being subbed off) meant he’ll never get the love of one as humble as say Duffer or one as tigerish as Roy.

But he certainly deserves lots of love for his incredible contribution and record that will probably never be beaten
    Sweet Jesus
    The noel hunt "goal" V Italy
    Was Robbie's
    It was shown in slow mo and Robbie hit it not noel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts

Ah man, talk about praise through gritted teeth. Show me any top level striker that doesnt claim every goal possible. Show me any of them that were ever happy being subbed off, the celebration was iconic... especially in the World Cup against Germany

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    It was a privilege to watch him play, and he deserves to be celebrated as one of our greatest players. But there's something about his personality I've never warmed to - I've always felt he's not a particularly likeable person. I'm sure as he's counting his well-earned millions and polishing his trophies that he'll be devasted to know that!

I heard a clip from his presser with an Israeli journalist earlier and articulate it wasn't. Full of awful cliches and avoidance... I wish him well, but I have a feeling he's not going to find managing as easy as scoring.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.