Carsley omission was “incredible” - 2.1 million Irish fans worldwide
    Carsley omission "incredible" - 500,000 Cyprus fans

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Kilbane is not a central midfielder so why would you expect him to fulfil that role. Played in his usual position on Wednesday he performed very well.

Kavanagh has never performed over an extened period at the top flight. He has spent his career across the top three divisions in England. It's also therefore unreasonable to expect him to do what an average premiership side would expect every weekend.
    Kavanagh was playing in midfield with a Wigan team storming up the Premiership last year, wasn't he? This form didn't manifest itself in a green shirt.

I would have thought Kilbane had it in him somewhere to have a go at playing the deep central midfielder, considering he's played in the middle plenty of times.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I tip my hat to Lee. Here is a 31-yr old English-born Irishman - please take note plastic paddy knockers - who really wants to play for Ireland. At 31 playing for Ireland isn't going to do his club career any good and may even work against him in getting a contract extension.

He retired as he wasn't playing regular first team football, now that he is back playing for Everton and he clearly sees that he is needed by Ireland - even if the manager doesn't realize it - he has made himself available. He is a Kilbane type player, only better. I think he should be a key player for us during this campaign. He is also a very fit fella and I can see him being around for the WC campaign as well.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I think it was a bit more to do with personal reason as to why he retired in the first place.

Pity Reid got injured. Would have been nice to see them in the middle together.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81 View Post
    Kavanagh was playing in midfield with a Wigan team storming up the Premiership last year, wasn't he? This form didn't manifest itself in a green shirt.

I would have thought Kilbane had it in him somewhere to have a go at playing the deep central midfielder, considering he's played in the middle plenty of times.
    About ten years ago Kavanagh made a few appearances in the top flight for Middlesborough. You are correct, in the 05/06 season he played in the top flight for Wigan and did well. However, not well enough that Wigan wanted to keep him and just 500k was enough to prise him away. In between he was out of the top flight: roughly 9/10ths of his career. I therefore think that it is slightly unreasonable to expect him to do what "an average premiership midfielder would do" - as he is not one now & has not spent much time playing at that level either.

Kilbane has played central midfield before, notably to fill in for us. Like most wide players you get the best from him by playing him in his own position. He showed what he can do there against the Czechs.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    I think it was a bit more to do with personal reason as to why he retired in the first place.
    Yep, I think one of his kids had a serious heath problem... I don't think he wanted to retire but felt he had to in light of that - which in my opinion is totally understandable.

I think his retirement is/was different to the likes of Kiely, Carr etc.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Lee Carsley's was fantastic in the centre, he played with passion and dedication for the cause, never once avioding a tackle and basically bossing the game. If he doesn't start next game Staunton needs not only sacked but shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12