Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aldo as boss?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts

Aldo as boss?

Stan needs to be booted into touch asap our team has no future under him and every game with him will just see us plunge new depths and the teams confidence will go even lower (if that is possible).

He will have lost 5 on the bounce by Wednesday and then the curtain will fall.

We need a manager full of fire and passion, one who shake things up and give the players a good roasting after a performance like the other night.

Aldo would take the job at the drop of a hat, let's throw a lion into the snake pit - because at the moment Stan and the team are drowning.

There is no way any team managed by Aldo would do what we saw on Saturday. He commands fear and respect, whereas Stan is joke.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    A significantly better choice than Staunton. No complaints here.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    I agree. I do not understand why he wasn't at least interviewed for the job. Managerial experience, some success, Irish international and passionate. He still wouldn't have been the "world class" manager promised by Delaney but he would have been a much better choice.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Agreed. But would Delaney be able to control him?

It's beyond belief that he wasn't interviewed. As one of the UCD lads posted yesterday, didn't Delaney cite a backlog of paperwork or some ridiculous reason?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A backlog of paperwork?? is this serious????
    If he used that as his excuse, he is a complete fool

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    At the moment I'd welcome Aldo with open arms.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nedder View Post
    A backlog of paperwork?? is this serious????
    If he used that as his excuse, he is a complete fool
    From the John Delaney thread:

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    When asked why a more qualified candidate - John Aldridge - didn't even get an interview, Delaney is on record saying he had paperwork to do. I don't want to discuss the merits or otherwise of John Aldridge, but it's incredible that he can offer this reason for not interviewing a more qualified candidate than the one we ended up with. Who else slipped through the net?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    My impressions of Aldridge are that he is not a YES-man. Therefore, Delaney won't want to know.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Passionate, experienced, successful, knowledgebale, inexpensive in todays world i would imagine, eager, a leader, respected

Has to be Aldridge.

Put your name in the hat Aldo, they're too stubborn to come lookin for you, give them a way out of this mess, quick.
    Resign, now!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    fully agree with all that has been said here. The is no world class manager ever gonig to be bothered managing Ireland.(Even MON didn't want to be involved with the FAI) Aldo is and was the ideal choice. He is passionate,he is used to managing and organising bad players and really wants the job.
    WE would not have lost 5-2 thats for sure and if we had he would have left the whole team rotting back there in the Cyprus sun like the plucked oranges that they were.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He would not have been my first choice before Stauntons appointment but I would not have been adverse to him being in charge and would most definately welcome him now.

Never has this team had as little passion and that's one thing Aldridge always had as a player and a manager.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agree with everything on this. I could imagine Aldo being able to give the ould hairdryer treatment to a few players if they came in at half-time 2-2 with Cyprus. He wouldn't take any sh1t and would definitely have no problems giving a few kicks in the arse when needed!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Signing in on the Aldo thread. The finger jabbing to the US official and then planting the header in the back of the Mexican net .. and getting the best out of Tranmere to cup finals and playoffs.

Question is though .. why hasn't he had another job in the game since then.

Still .. its not going to happen not matter how many people post here or send emails to the FAI .. unless we (the fans) all do something about it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Not 100% sure about this but I think he was reoffered the Tranmere job but turned it down.

YBIG5 had a great interview with him.

He runs a bar "Aldo's Place" in Liverpool now.

Aldridge was by no means a total success at Tranmere, in fact some may say he wasn't even a success at all. However, afaik, he was running a near bankrupt football club and to get them to a Cup Final & Semi-Final was a great achievement. You need a "cup run" manager in international football.

My guess is that people like my mate (!) Ray Houghton would be brought on board.

Does Aldo have the tactical nous required? Maybe not.

Does he at least understand the basics of a functional football team? Probably.

Can the stattos among us compare Aldo's club management record to Sanchez's? Similar I'd bet. Similar ethos too I reckon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Irish Times

Don't build your hopes up lads - they are in for the long haul.

Steve Staunton will remain as Republic of Ireland manager regardless of Wednesday night's result against the Czech Republic, his employers at the FAI have insisted.

There has been widespread condemnation following the debacle in Cyprus on Saturday night, with many calling for Staunton's head in the wake of his fourth defeat in five games at the helm.

FAI chief executive, John Delaney, who was instrumental in appointing the inexperienced Staunton, has also been the subject of criticism but his president at the association, David Blood, claims both men have nothing to fear in terms of their long term futures.

"Regarding speculation in relation to our international manager and chief executive, I just want to allay fears that their positions are under threat," Blood said. "On the contrary, they are consolidating their positions with us. Obviously we are disappointed with the last result, but it is just one result among more that will hopefully be positive."
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Aldridge as number 1 and Brian Kerr in his team doing the preparations and analysis .. I think that would be the best ticket at from what is available at the moment..

Think the Sanchez comparison holds ... both seem to be cup-style managers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Irish Times

Don't build your hopes up lads - they are in for the long haul.

Steve Staunton will remain as Republic of Ireland manager regardless of Wednesday night's result against the Czech Republic, his employers at the FAI have insisted.

There has been widespread condemnation following the debacle in Cyprus on Saturday night, with many calling for Staunton's head in the wake of his fourth defeat in five games at the helm.

FAI chief executive, John Delaney, who was instrumental in appointing the inexperienced Staunton, has also been the subject of criticism but his president at the association, David Blood, claims both men have nothing to fear in terms of their long term futures.

"Regarding speculation in relation to our international manager and chief executive, I just want to allay fears that their positions are under threat," Blood said. "On the contrary, they are consolidating their positions with us. Obviously we are disappointed with the last result, but it is just one result among more that will hopefully be positive."
    well .. he won't keep saying that e.g. if there was a boycott on games or some sort of organised opposition to what is going on at the moment... or if pressure was brought on sponsors or on politicians regarding the funding. But posting our rants here and sending the odd email, while important, is dissipating it all down the wrong channels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Im just hoping the reason fai say they won't sack them is down to money and not wanting to compensate them! If Delaney and Staunton quit themselves no compensation will be paid. In short it could be a means by which fai feel they could get rid of the pair of them quicker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I actually thought that Aldridge and Kerr would have been the best ticket when Kerr was given the job for the first time. Easy to be wise after the event I suppose but I did think that at the time and I certainly think that would be as good a managment team as Ireland could get at the moment.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Aldo For Ireland -

Theres The Call For Tomorrow
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast