Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    [QUOTE=oriel;1862496]
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post

Thanks for posting. I bet you had a few good looks at the score Patrick, makes nice reading from your perspective!
    Apologies that the only picture I seen just so happened to show the final score. Makes for good reading alright, but also good to see stadiums getting electronic scoreboards, little improvements. Turners cross had one for an Ireland u21 friendly before, pity it wasn't a permanent thing.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Would it not have been better placed behind one of the goals whee no one stands? Half the ground won't be able to view it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    Would it not have been better placed behind one of the goals whee no one stands? Half the ground won't be able to view it.
    Just get out of here with your "logic" please.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Does anybody know what the story is with Dundalk's pitch? i thought last season was the last one before it was going to have to be ripped up and replaced?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Had my first visit to the Markets Field on Saturday. Decent crowd there and a good friendly vibe around the place. They have an excellent electric score board behind one of the goals. (The one in Terryland seems to be out of order most of the time now). Any Limerick fan could tell if there is any food included when one buys a ticket for the corporate stand(20e), the view of the pitch from there should be good anyway. I decided on a terrace ticket; 12euro and used the saving to purchase a programme, which at 4 euro wasn't great value. Been to 3 different grounds for LoI games in Limerick in the last 3 years, and don't know the city well, but is this the best location wise?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Had my first visit to the Markets Field on Saturday. Decent crowd there and a good friendly vibe around the place. They have an excellent electric score board behind one of the goals. (The one in Terryland seems to be out of order most of the time now). Any Limerick fan could tell if there is any food included when one buys a ticket for the corporate stand(20e), the view of the pitch from there should be good anyway. I decided on a terrace ticket; 12euro and used the saving to purchase a programme, which at 4 euro wasn't great value. Been to 3 different grounds for LoI games in Limerick in the last 3 years, and don't know the city well, but is this the best location wise?
    Yes there is tea/coffee with sandwiches at HT plus a reserved seat out in the stand or you can watch it inside if you wish.
    Location wise def without a doubt the best we had crowds are massively up excellent facilities the thing I noticed most there are alot of families going to games everybody going to games seems to be wearing the clubs colours the clubs commercial side looks to be doing very well jackets scarfs jerseys seems to be flying off the shelves.

I bought a scarf last week the girl inside said there onto there second bag of a 100 already thst has been unheard of in Limerick fc LOI before soccer finally seems to be taken off in the city huge potential if Limerick get it right and there on the right road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    It's a similar distance to the city centre to Jackman Park but better location. Thomond Park is in the middle of nowhere. Narrow streets around Markets Field actually help with athmosphere. It's the fifth place iv watched Us play and it's the first where you actually feel like your going to and from a match.

Biggest change to our crowds is you now see women and children at games. It might just be my perception aswell but there seems to be a lot more country people around. There was always a bit of interest out the county but seems to be a lot of interest now.

I'd love a covered terrace on the popular side but I can't see anything being done in there for years to be honest.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Yes, very noticeable the profile of the crowd; a lot of families and youngish fans. Also saw how busy the club merchandise shop was and as you mentioned many wearing the teams colours. If we get a good summer the embankment would not be a bad place to watch a game either, small fault is that the view is slightly blocked by the dugouts.
    Do any club have dugouts that are actually dug into the ground anymore?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    " Narrow streets around Markets Field actually help with athmosphere. It's the fifth place iv watched Us play and it's the first where you actually feel like your going to and from a match". Agree with this. Reminded me a bit of going to 2nd/3rd division games over in England back in the day.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    It might just be my perception aswell but there seems to be a lot more country people around. There was always a bit of interest out the county but seems to be a lot of interest now.
    Fair play, and out of curiosity LTID, more than anything, tell us what do you look for when profiling the demographic in the MF for these country people?

A gammy walk, or squinting up at the floodlights or rocks under their nails or what ?

My first MF game as well the other night and very impressed, also the fifth place I have seen the club play and it's definitely a cut above. Agreed, some sprucing of the popular side would set it off well but already a premier level facility with by the looks of it a team out there who would be just fine a division above also.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 21/03/2016 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Fair play, and out of curiosity LTID, more than anything, tell us what do you look for when profiling the demographic in the MF for these country people?

A gammy walk, or squinting up at the floodlights or rocks under their nails or what ?.
    Mainly I speak to them in the pub or at the game.

Both my parents are from deepest, darkest west Limerick, you'll find no prejudice here!

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    The thing that annoys me about the scoreboard in the Markets Field is the extra zero in the scores.

Limerick 06 01 Cobh.

Surely that can be disabled somehow. Even if it is just by taking the bulbs out? Ot just cover it in black tape? Something, anything.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    The thing that annoys me about the scoreboard in the Markets Field is the extra zero in the scores.

Limerick 06 01 Cobh.

Surely that can be disabled somehow. Even if it is just by taking the bulbs out? Ot just cover it in black tape? Something, anything.
    Clearly just planning for when First Division Champions Limerick FC's goals scored figure tips into double figures. Agree you could cover the first digit in the away team's score, or possibly even both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Does anybody know what the story is with Dundalk's pitch? i thought last season was the last one before it was going to have to be ripped up and replaced?
    The only pitch in the country that consistently passes standards tests. Why rip it up when it's up to standard unlike many of the other untested pitches?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCdfc View Post
    The only pitch in the country that consistently passes standards tests. Why rip it up when it's up to standard unlike many of the other untested pitches?
    Best pitch in the league, at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    Increase the medication guys or else find a new supplier

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Turners Cross, Tallaght Stadium, RSC and now the Markets Field all better pitches. The Astro Turfs in a few junior clubs in Limerick and the University and LIT are all better. Im sure similar around the country.

What does the test consist of? I remember Jackman park one year being like a carpet, the surroundings were obviously brutal but the pitch was immaculate but it still went down as one of the worst and Athlone Town Stadium pitch, which at the time was covered in sand, was up near the top.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Turners Cross, Tallaght Stadium, RSC and now the Markets Field all better pitches. The Astro Turfs in a few junior clubs in Limerick and the University and LIT are all better. Im sure similar around the country.

What does the test consist of? I remember Jackman park one year being like a carpet, the surroundings were obviously brutal but the pitch was immaculate but it still went down as one of the worst and Athlone Town Stadium pitch, which at the time was covered in sand, was up near the top.
    Turners Cross is poor (compared to it's usual high standard) at the moment. The argument is that the oriel pitch is consistent and allows for a passing game. Whereas some pitches are awful at this time of year and won't allow for a decent gam. I've seen Bray and Wexford so far and both were awful and will be for the foreseeable. I'm also guessing that the pitches in Finn Park, Dalymount and Derry are poor at the moment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    The argument is that the oriel pitch is consistent and allows for a passing game.
    You would lose that argument. It is not consistent at all
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Well its consistently the worst pitch in the league!

22. Thanks From: