Page 390 of 406 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392400 ... LastLast
Results 7,781 to 7,800 of 8116

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I noticed Lens using a significant amount of terracing against Arsenal tonight, not rail seats or anything just proper terracing. I have no idea what UEFA’s rules are now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    I noticed Lens using a significant amount of terracing against Arsenal tonight, not rail seats or anything just proper terracing. I have no idea what UEFA’s rules are now.
    UEFA are experimenting with a return to terraces (standing) at a select number of grounds in England, France and Germany - see my post #7775 above.

Assuming this trial is successful, we may perhaps see a return to standing at UEFA games, at least where clubs have rail seating which also permits standing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    A possible gimmer of hope for Dundalk at last, well as long as grants / funding is approved. But lets see how it goes, a lot of false dawns previously, that said the upgrades to prioritise on are correct to start with, pitch and floodlights, and going for modest capacity also makes good sense.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/dundalk-fc...-group-update/
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    A possible gimmer of hope for Dundalk at last, well as long as grants / funding is approved. But lets see how it goes, a lot of false dawns previously, that said the upgrades to prioritise on are correct to start with, pitch and floodlights, and going for modest capacity also makes good sense.

https://www.dundalkfc.com/dundalk-fc...-group-update/
    I think the stands either side of the current Main Stand look weird and a bit ugly.

Also funny to see the artist's impressions provided by the company have hoardings for BBC Sport and the English Premiership. You'd think they could at least have got that stiuff right

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Yes saw that on BBC Sport !

Drawings are not final, also any upgrades to both sides of the main stand would have to have gaps / slant roofing to not impede the stand view.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Covered terracing behind both goal ends at Oriel should be the first phase in any development.

Something similar to the Derry design!

Any upgrade to Oriel can only be a positive if there is actual work completed. Dundalk fans have had a lot to put up with over the years and as an away fan, every visiting supporter always considered Oriel as one of the worst grounds to visit!

Hope things change...............!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I think the stands either side of the current Main Stand look weird and a bit ugly.

Also funny to see the artist's impressions provided by the company have hoardings for BBC Sport and the English Premiership. You'd think they could at least have got that stiuff right
    Yuo, cause Oriel currently is a thing of beauty in comparison. I would take the ugliest ground in the world title happily if it was modern and fit for purpose. While any artist impressions will change you do have to work around whats there unless there is the money to flatten things and start from scratch. The YDC turned out to be a hinderence as prior to it there could have been the option to turn the pitch 90 degrees again, have the stand behind the goal and increase the area available for development. Now its shoewhorning things in to the existing footprint. All positive for me, sensible, pragmatic, time has been taken to get the lie of the land with LCC/FAI/Dept et al, phased but part of an overall plan rather than cobbled together in bits and pieces, no big statements on huge projects. Submission for SCG is a big, if first step forward. Could even be done and dusted before Stranrolar...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    Covered terracing behind both goal ends at Oriel should be the first phase in any development.

Something similar to the Derry design!

Any upgrade to Oriel can only be a positive if there is actual work completed. Dundalk fans have had a lot to put up with over the years and as an away fan, every visiting supporter always considered Oriel as one of the worst grounds to visit!

Hope things change...............!
    Id like things to stay like that but not for the herding of people on to a practically derelict terrace!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Who knows where this will end up but it's good to see Dundalk talking about this in a serious way.

Some terracing would probably be better 'cos Dundalk have a lot of fans who like to stand and make a good bit of noise in fairness to them. Nice to see a rendered image of Oriel Park, still look like itself but a hell of a lot better. The main stand is a hard one to work around if you intend to keep it. It's a bit of an odd looking idea on that side but at the same time maybe it keeps a lot of personality in the ground and allows you to keep the rest of it fairly straightforward without making the stadium boring/soulless. In saying that, I doubt they'll actually build 2 of those buildings with VIP balconies. Might just be in the picture for the sake of symmetry.

The drawing is from Allsport Spectator Facilities, the same company who built the Mono stand, so it's likely the same type of modular frame as that. Does feel like these builds are the most sensible from a LOI perspective but we'll all end up with the same ground if we're not careful! Hopefully this is a real proposition.
    Last edited by bohsmug; 09/10/2023 at 4:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Allsport are building the new Finn Harps stadium too. Reckon they could get a few more LOI grounds if more clubs start to look at improvements. The modular steel stands are far cheaper to build than big concrete monstrosities, and easier adapted for future development too.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohsmug View Post
    Who knows where this will end up but it's good to see Dundalk talking about this in a serious way.

Some terracing would probably be better 'cos Dundalk have a lot of fans who like to stand and make a good bit of noise in fairness to them. Nice to see a rendered image of Oriel Park, still look like itself but a hell of a lot better. The main stand is a hard one to work around if you intend to keep it. It's a bit of an odd looking idea on that side but at the same time maybe it keeps a lot of personality in the ground and allows you to keep the rest of it fairly straightforward without making the stadium boring/soulless. In saying that, I doubt they'll actually build 2 of those buildings with VIP balconies. Might just be in the picture for the sake of symmetry.

The drawing is from Allsport Spectator Facilities, the same company who built the Mono stand, so it's likely the same type of modular frame as that. Does feel like these builds are the most sensible from a LOI perspective but we'll all end up with the same ground if we're not careful! Hopefully this is a real proposition.
    Id hope that the roof of any new build on that side would go to the stand (maybe with a new roof on the stand) so that those glass panels can be removed. The view from seating at the rear of the wing of the stand are obscured regardless of how clear the glass panels are. But maybe thats nit picking all things considered. I too would also like standing areas, shed side and infront of the stand.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohsmug View Post

Any idea what the Mono Stand cost? It's a little cracker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The modular steel stands are far cheaper to build than big concrete monstrosities, and easier adapted for future development too.
    Also rather more environmentally sensitive:
    "... the cement industry is responsible for about 8% of planet-warming carbon dioxide emissions — far more than global carbon emissions from aviation. If the cement industry were a country, it would be the third-largest emitter of carbon dioxide in the world, after the U.S. and China."
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cement-...nge-brimstone/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cláirseach View Post
    Any idea what the Mono Stand cost? It's a little cracker.

I wish I knew but I don't! It was built this year so members won’t see it in the accounts until next year's AGM. Think it was still a significant investment but as it's modular it can be moved, so the outlay could be justified. It also freed up 1k+ spaces in the Des Kelly for Bohs fans and we've had home sellouts for most of the year so it would be really interesting to see the cost. Nowhere near as expensive as a concrete stand.

Do think it's given us a good idea of how these stands work in a practical sense and the feedback seems to be good (other than opposition teams wishing it was bigger maybe). I'd love if we could fit another one in but with Dalymount looking like it's making actual progress now and the planning application in it probably doesn't make financial sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Even the few concrete type stands built now are precast rather than poured on site so silly waste of money to opt for poured system thats outdated 15+ years, and it still gets pushed unnecessarily at times. Why it persisted in this country so long was either laziness by architects, old habits or an unofficial propping up of that industry. Modular and RSJ systems a fraction of the cost, more flexibility with design, quicker build, less impact from enviornment to noise and dust on site. Easier revision in the event of a flaw. I assumed at one time that for say fire regulations concrete was needed but nope.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Even the few concrete type stands built now are precast rather than poured on site so silly waste of money to opt for poured system thats outdated 15+ years, and it still gets pushed unnecessarily at times. Why it persisted in this country so long was either laziness by architects, old habits or an unofficial propping up of that industry. Modular and RSJ systems a fraction of the cost, more flexibility with design, quicker build, less impact from enviornment to noise and dust on site. Easier revision in the event of a flaw. I assumed at one time that for say fire regulations concrete was needed but nope.
    It takes 8 - 10 tonnes of coal to produce 1 tonnes of steel, so all materials have their impacts on the environment and I'm sure if your club built a concrete stand you'd still go... we all would. What gets me is the overinflated price of the raw materials making stadium upgrades less achievable. I do agree modular, flexible design and easy construction is the way to go. 50yrs plus ago there was only 1 cement producer in the country and even our roads were concrete. I'd say many architects and designer hand their palm greased by that fat cat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Less impact not zero impact - i dont think there is anything consumed that is zero impact ever!? and carbon neutral seems like a laudable but far fetched target, how can you make a competition carbon neutral if eg you are holding a torunament on 3 continents. As conscientious Bohs might want to be as a club the amout of solar ad wind power needed to offset a new Dalymount and the carbonfootprint of matchnights is wishful thinking with current tech. Efforts should never be bnned but achievement not overstated as with FIFA/Olympics etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Well done to the Development Group in Dundalk who prepared this initial report. Let’s be honest, anything that improves the stadium and has a realistic chance of being implemented is to be welcomed. I wish Dundalk all the best with the project.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    https://m.independent.ie/regionals/w...843105411.html

Plans for a new stadium in Wexford…
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    great to see that happening in Wexford. Im guessing 3 or 4 years to completion but its on the way which is great