Results 7,081 to 7,100 of 8116

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    If anyone actually believes there is going to be two redeveloped stadiums within a couple of miles of each other they are dreaming.
    1 stadium with a capacity of 4/5k is about the best anyone can hope for, with the money from the sale of the other going to fund the project.
    That was the pevious plan of Dublin City Council, which they have now publicly moved away from. They're unlikely to do a U-turn back to that original approach again, and would take a kicking if they tried. More likely that Dalymount will be prioritised, and then Tolka may or not get much investment afterwards. But the approach of getting rid of one or other of Tolka and Dalymount no longer appears to be a runner.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 28/07/2022 at 1:34 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Of Aherlow View Post
    In fairness , for the most part we can't get stadiums built in any shape or form let alone worrying about whether they're rustic or what the architectural philosophy is .
    I think the technical design term for Irish football stadia is 'Incomplete Chic'.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I went to quite a few Dalymount matches in the past couple of years with a German mate. He loved it. When I asked him, does it not seem like a dump compared to the facilities you're used to in Germany?, He replied "Yes, but that's the beauty of it". Don't underestimate that rustic charm. Our stadia are things from a bygone era. In the age of corporate soccer domes they can actually be attractive to some people.
    'Poverty tourism'.

Build Dalymount Park for a top level club in Germany and see how their fans like it then.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Are Bohs still going to have to play somewhere else for a season or 2?
    Like Berlin ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    What’s the scenario if Tolka gets the go ahead aswell. I can’t see $hels wanting to wait for Dalymount to be completed before their redevelopment starts.
    Shels haven't got any money and can't call the shots on the priority. They were due to have Tolka erased until a few weeks ago sure. They will just have to bide their time.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 28/07/2022 at 2:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Shels haven't got any money and can't call the shots on the priority. They were due to have Tolka erased until a few weeks ago sure. They will just have to bide their time.
    They have investors. I'm sure Shels fans are a bit wary.

https://shelbournefc.ie/shelbourne-f...ew-investment/

8. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    " Don't worry about a thing , cos every little thing is gonna be alright "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    The very broad rule of thumb for stadia in England pre-Covid was £1,000 per seat - which would be €1,150. That will have gone up since then, but not by a factor of x5 or more.
    That's either a very broad rule or a very broad thumb you have there.

For example, when the local Council in Rotherham opened the New York Stadium on an old, disused industrial site, they got 12k seats for their £20m-odd i.e. £1,666 per seat. And that was 10 years ago, in a depressed Northern English town.

Depending on the scarcity of a suitable site and local property prices, it can cost considerably more: eg Brentford spent £82m building their 17.5k seater stadium in TW8 - hardly the swishest part of West London - which works out at £4,700 per seat.

Or Spurs, who managed to spend the guts of £1bn on their 62k seater stadium = over £15k per seat. Granted that stadium is all-singing, all-dancing, but as against that, they did already own part of the site, while N17 is a right ****hole (and I say that as a Spurs fan!)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...alymount-park/

Latest report from the IT is that Bohs are pushing for a big terrace as part of the scaled back redevelopment. Whether that's just terracing behind the goals or one big side terrace isn't confirmed.
    They'd use Aviva when needed for European ties.
    Article also states that Dalyer capacity will rise to 4500 next season due to a temporary stand on the Connaught road side. I hadn't heard about that before...

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    The project was never 100% a football stadium either. I don't know what the cost of the community facilities aspect of the original design was but I'd assume it was significant enough. That'll still need to be o
    part of the new plan. Connaught Street side is massive by LOI standards so could fit quite a lot in there. That said, I don't really see a 5,000 seater stand being built. Just sounds like a mad idea, it'd be massive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...alymount-park/

Latest report from the IT is that Bohs are pushing for a big terrace as part of the scaled back redevelopment. Whether that's just terracing behind the goals or one big side terrace isn't confirmed.
    The talk is of a 2,000 capacity covered terrace at the school end of the ground. Would be class if it happened.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohsmug View Post
    The talk is of a 2,000 capacity covered terrace at the school end of the ground. Would be class if it happened.
    That's far bigger than I would have envisaged but if it came off it would be fantastic.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    That's far bigger than I would have envisaged but if it came off it would be fantastic.
    I have seen the school house end completely full and possibly holding 2,000 people or more if you count the headers on the roof.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    The project was never 100% a football stadium either. I don't know what the cost of the community facilities aspect of the original design was but I'd assume it was significant enough. That'll still need to be o
    part of the new plan. Connaught Street side is massive by LOI standards so could fit quite a lot in there. That said, I don't really see a 5,000 seater stand being built. Just sounds like a mad idea, it'd be massive.
    Nothing mad about it. "if you build it they will come"

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    I have seen the school house end completely full and possibly holding 2,000 people or more if you count the headers on the roof.
    Would've been way more than 2,000 if you're talking about the people on the roof era. There's currently 900 seats at that end of the ground, each seat taking up 2 rows of steps. So I'd imagine it would be a similar size to that and then roofed, which will make it look much bigger. If it happens it will look great. Needs a decent bar because if you're profiling fans it's more likely to be a drinking crowd than other areas. From a purely visual point of view I think a 5,000 capacity stand on Connaught side will look odd when you drop down to nearly nothing on the Phibsboro End but then it's probably about the same height as the current structure. Just seems a bit unfathomable for a LOI ground. Riverside Stand in Tolka probably held that much so maybe it's not all that mad. I would be surprised if a stand of that size happens.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Would've been way more than 2,000 if you're talking about the people on the roof era. There's currently 900 seats at that end of the ground, each seat taking up 2 rows of steps. So I'd imagine it would be a similar size to that and then roofed, which will make it look much bigger. If it happens it will look great. Needs a decent bar because if you're profiling fans it's more likely to be a drinking crowd than other areas. From a purely visual point of view I think a 5,000 capacity stand on Connaught side will look odd when you drop down to nearly nothing on the Phibsboro End but then it's probably about the same height as the current structure. Just seems a bit unfathomable for a LOI ground. Riverside Stand in Tolka probably held that much so maybe it's not all that mad. I would be surprised if a stand of that size happens.
    Conaught St and phibsboro ends are similar in Height and there should be contiuation around that corner incorporating the existing corner entrance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Only a tiny portion of the shopping centre end is owned by DCC. It was sold off to a developer about 20 years ago. That's why fitting anything into that end is such a challenge. It was a mess of a deal with a subsequent court case that Bohs lost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Is there plans for the shopping centre end by the developer? If DCC had the will they could consider a compulsory purchase under some derelict site notice.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Lads the tramway will only be a capacity 2-300 terrace with a wall behind, sold off years ago unfortunately, was my favoured spot for many years.
    So, Jodi underneath refurb, which probably means a decent toilet block replacing the long bar, plus proper access points, what’s there is unworkable.
    School end covered terrace or seating c 2k.
    Stand with community benefits plus 5000 seats on Connaught.
    After demolition of Connaught side, temporary stand to hold away fans holing 450 will go up. It’s DCC so expect this to be there as long as 10 years.