Page 125 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126 LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 2517

Thread: New Irish manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruben_sosa View Post
    It's got to be Mick Wallace who's behind this offer.
    Does it? Possible, but it may not be a recent offer
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    The FAI are a laughing stock. I'm fooking sick of this nonsense. Just hire a fooking manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Langers Man in Lillies Bordello : "Jaysus. Id give a million quid if the FAI would just get this disastrous farce over with!"

Drunk Star Sunday "reporter" sitting nearby : "Woo Hoo! Millionaire in 'anti-fai' rant!. Wheres me laptop? Ahem...Four more vodka and red bull there, Paulo! ....wha? No. the four of them are for me. I'm celebrating a scoop! Wahey!"

And so ends today's bullshyte lesson. "Dont be believing everything you read. Especially if it's in the star".
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Examiner reporting a done deal... almost.

"Trappattoni met the 3 boys, would take the job, Delaney to fly out and try to work out terms"

Anyone heard anything else, can't find any non-Examiner reports - they have been very flakey recently with some sensationalist scoops that turn out to be no more than idle gossip.

http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer...959-qqqx=1.asp
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As with every other report on Trapattoni : "If it's true, great."
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondvillain View Post
    As with every other report on Trapattoni : "If it's true, great."
    It's true all right, unlike 99% of other newspaper reports

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Enthusiasm notwithstanding (I've read newspaper reports that have 'confirmed' Venables, Houllier, Brady and possibly Barney the Dinosaur as Ireland manager recently) I'll wait till Trap stands at the Abbotstown gates with a dirty pint of plain in his hand before I celebrate.

Dont get me wrong. Trapattoni would be a great catch, but am I a doubting Thomas?

Damn right I am. This is the FAI & the Irish media we're dealing with here.

The Irish sports media cant be trusted to reprint the Alphabet without creative input (We can exclusively reveal, after hours of secret talks, that # is the new 5th letter of the English alphabet!"), and the FAI were the ones who said that the 3 man committee would be exclusively dealing with the managerial appointment.

From the get-go, we knew that this was another blatant lie (within minutes of the position being advertised, Delaney had contacted Paul Jewell, and they have allegedly contacted others.....), so if it's all the same to everyone, I'll wait till the new manager says "I'm the new manager" before I'll believe a damn word on the subject.

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    so if it's all the same to everyone, I'll wait till the new manager says "I'm the new manager" before I'll believe a damn word on the subject.

As long as he doesnt say "Im the gaffer" in fairness to Delaney he has to agree the commercial aspects, it was just up to the amigoes to find the right man, then JD has to seal the deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Great stuff.
    Duff et al could do with a bit of this.
    WAS ERLAUBE STRUNZ?
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Irish sports media cant be trusted to reprint the Alphabet without creative input (We can exclusively reveal, after hours of secret talks, that # is the new 5th letter of the English alphabet!")
    I can s## why you'r# sc#ptical but I think this on# might b# tru#.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    it was just up to the amigoes to find the right man, then JD has to seal the deal.
    I dont believe that for a second.

IF he accepts, it's most likely because of an approach from members of the FAI board itself, which would render this 4 month old "world class" interview committee to the dustbin of pointless history.

I would go as far to suggest that Givens remained clueless throughout.

And they nearly did.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He should have got the job the minute he showed interest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...128524,00.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I dont believe that for a second.

IF he accepts, it's most likely because of an approach from members of the FAI board itself, which would render this 4 month old "world class" interview committee to the dustbin of pointless history.

I would go as far to suggest that Givens remained clueless throughout.
    There just is no pleasing people. If Trap gets the job with Brady and Gentille it will be fantastic and fair play to the FAI that they have done it. Credit where credit it is due. I am slag the FAI when the **** up and praise them when they do something well.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Well said Neill, if this is true, then the almost 4-month long slog will have been worth it.
    Credit where it's due, instead of just jumping the gun and appointing Venables (like we all assumed they would, me included) they've done what they said they would do all along and get the right man for the job.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    There just is no pleasing people. If Trap gets the job with Brady and Gentille it will be fantastic and fair play to the FAI that they have done it. Credit where credit it is due. I am slag the FAI when the **** up and praise them when they do something well.
    While I realise that pleasing me is not top of the FAI's "to-do" list, I cant in any honesty say "well done for setting up an interview committee, dragging people in off the streets for time wasting interviews over 12/14 weeks, then completely by-passing this committee to set up a behind the scenes deal with a candidate who hasn't yet been interviewed, rendering the whole scenario an expensive pontless folly".

Many will say "The end justifies the means". Perhaps. If Trapattoni is appointed (which would be undoubtedly great for Irish football) they will have contracted a decent manager, but the manner in which they stumbled over the line? Well, The FAI's sleeveenery and lies in this matter will be remembered for a long time by many who matter.

Scant congratulations should be awarded to the FAI for discovering what everyone knew all along - The committee was a waste of time and money, and if they wanted their man, all they had to do was go ask him.

And they nearly did.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Scant congratulations should be awarded to the FAI for discovering what everyone knew all along - The committee was a waste of time and money, and if they wanted their man, all they had to do was go ask him.
    You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

"Everyone knew all along": if everyone knew this, then why isn't Trappatoni's name on the list of candidates above?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The committee was a waste of time and money, and if they wanted their man, all they had to do was go ask him.
    Have to say I agree with this but with the rider that if the end result is that they get the right man...then so what? With an experienced manager and a team with potential we should be able to give qualification a real go. Thats all most fans want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
    I know. I said as much when the interview process started.

What I meant by 'everyone knew all along' was that the way to get a manager was NOT by wasting time having 3 no-hopers conducting "So, what can YOU bring to the job, Terry?" Fás style interviews, but rather, the best way to get your man was to hunt your man down and corner him with an attractive financial deal that he couldn't refuse.

I thought the interview committe was a joke, I still do. The report in the Examiner has done little to convince me it was anything other than a background whispering deal that has led to Trapattoni being in his current position, with absolutely no input from the 3 man interview committee.

This is why, If it's true, It's good for us right now, but I cannot say "well done FAI".

They didnt do it well. They did it arseways :The committe was not required, 14 weeks of scheduling announcements then cancelling them again were not required. Don Givens was not required. Giving credibility to Terry Venables was not required.

But they were all done. Why? Because the FAI were afraid of a refusal at the disco, and had to shuffle uncomfortably from foot to foot while they allegedly plucked up the courage to ask Trap to dance when no-one was looking.

If it works out for us, great. But I think the FAI have finally p!ssed on their chips with all this mucking around, and will have made more enemies than friends with the whole process.

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    If it works out for us, great. But I think the FAI have finally p!ssed on their chips with all this mucking around, and will have made more enemies than friends with the whole process.
    if they pull off the trappatoni deal then they will probably win back the fans. couldnt care less what enemies they made during this process (IF they made any at all). doesnt matter whether the trappatoni thing was an accident or planned just as long as we end up with someone of his calibre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    if they pull off the trappatoni deal then they will probably win back the fans.
    Very true. They'll win back an element of the fans who were expressing extreme dissatisfaction over the structure of the interview process. However, I am a fan of the team, who never really lost me to be honest, and not of the FAI. Im pretty sure I'm as inconsequential to the FAI as they are to me on a day-to-day basis.
    couldnt care less what enemies they made during this process (IF they made any at all).
    I was referring to other Associations, federations, clubs, chairmen and the dozen or so serious candidates who were made sit through fake interviews, and who, ominously, may yet be in the frame again very soon...Trapattoni is not a young man, and even if all goes swimmingly, two years may well be his maximum.

If things were not to go well (and please dont get me wrong, I really hope they do if he should be appointed) we may well be hoping that someone who sat through one of those pointless mock interviews is still available, and has no hard feelings over being used as part of a 14 week smokescreen experiment.
    doesnt matter whether the trappatoni thing was an accident or planned just as long as we end up with someone of his calibre
    That's where we differ. I kinda feel It does matter if the FAI has lied through it's teeth, wasted considerable resources and time, and allowed Don Givens a platform for his bizarre pontifications in setting up a "world class" interview board, when it's beginning to appear that it was Delaney and Brady who played the major part in researching & contacting Trapattoni. (when Delaney expressly stated that they wouldnt get involved and the only names that would be considered were the ones forwarded by this now apparently toothless tiger of an interview board. )

Did we really have to dance the dance of the stupid for 14 weeks when a series of covert phone calls to Austria was apparently all it took? Was interviewing Billy Davies and Terry Venables an integral part of the plan? Some kind of elaborate decoy so Saltzburg wouldnt suspect?

Balderdash. Clueless to a man.

Whoever gets the job, I hope the appointment goes well, for the teams sake, for all our sakes. We have some talented players who deserve a larger stage, and the fans could do with a reason to be cheerful and all.

I will not, however, go so far as to congratulate the FAI for Lying, wasting, and then accidently tripping over the correct candidate in a "Get Smart" manner, all while going some way to alienate any potential candidates or bodies we may need the assistance of in the future.

Getting the right man in the wrong manner is, granted, a sucess (if not one to be proud of) but in this case it should surely be considered as one snatched from the jaws of defeat...Gaping jaws that the FAI have looked into so often that it's about damn time they figured them out.

Finally, as I've said above : If it DOESN'T go well (i.e. if theres a departure, for either Age , health or John Delaney related reasons) , due to the sly, underhand actions of the FAI throughout the whole procedure, we may not find it easy to obtain anyone, never mind anyone of Trapattoni's calibre, to fill the position easily in the future.

And they nearly did.