Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism in Irish Football

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Racism in Irish Football

As October is anti-racism in football month (its all right to be racist in the other 11 months?) I was wondering if anyone has encountered racism at League games in Ireland?

I personally haven't, but have come across the following in the last number of years
    Mass booing of a Linfield player at Jimmy Holmes' testimonial at Dalymount in 1985 (Sectarianism? Racism? Is there a difference?)
    Booing of a black Shels player by a Belgrove supporter in the Cup a few years ago.
    Joey Ndo booed by Steau Bucharest fans.

Kerr admitting he'd received hate mail for having Chris Hughton as his No 2.
    Booing former Glasgow Rangers players at Lansdowne (again, sectarianism or racism or both or neither?)
    Attempts by non-Shels fans to stir sectarian hatred when we played Linfield in the Setanta Cup.
    As I said, I'm not sure if some of these actually constitute racism, and I'm quite happy we don't have a major problem at football grounds here, but with a lot of intolerance in today's new multi-cultural society, is it inevitable that some of this will seep into football?
    Last edited by A face; 03/10/2006 at 7:46 PM.
    No Elvis, Beatles or the Rolling Stones
    In 1977

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The only racism that I've ever come accross in Ireland was when Linfield fans were doing monkey chants at Shels' Joey Ndo in the Setanta Cup this year... Shocking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sheliban View Post
    As October is anti-racism in football month (its all right to be racist in the other 11 months?) I was wondering if anyone has encountered racism at League games in Ireland?
    I personally haven't, but have come across the following in the last number of years
    Mass booing of a Linfield player at Jimmy Holmes' testimonial at Dalymount in 1985 (Sectarianism? Racism? Is there a difference?)
    Booing of a black Shels player by a Belgrove supporter in the Cup a few years ago.
    Booing former Glasgow Rangers players at Lansdowne (again, sectarianism or racism or both or neither?)
    Attempts by non-Shels fans to stir sectarian hatred when we played Linfield in the Setanta Cup.
    As I said, I'm not sure if some of these actually constitute racism, and I'm quite happy we don't have a major problem at football grounds here, but with a lot of intolerance in today's new multi-cultural society, is it inevitable that some of this will seep into football?

Every week when we play. Referees don't like us as our next "Queen is Camilla Parker Bowles"..

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    You come across the odd moron but in general I've never seen any real racism at an eL ground.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Personally I've never heard anything racist at an eL ground.

Sadly, there's little we can about that.

www.**********.org , there's an Irish forum there. Our country will always contain a small minority of this type of scourge that can send hate mail and give any tabloid a nice sensationalist story.

As sectarian or racist as fans of other EPL clubs booing Chelsea players and other rivals of their preferred English clubs and equally as stupid.

Just like the ********** types, it's hard to keep a handle on all small groups that want to be divisive and cause trouble.

I'm quite happy we don't have a major problem at football grounds here
    Same here.

but with a lot of intolerance in today's new multi-cultural society, is it inevitable that some of this will seep into football?
    Sadly so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    To be honest, i have not heard anything in the league at any games we play in. Although i heard the stuff N'do had to take on Setanta against Linfield.Absolutely disgusting, but they were morons who Linfield quickly distanced themselves from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Curtis Fleming got abused years ago by small sections of the Rovers support and large sections of the Dundalk support. Dundalk also gave horrendous abuse to Mbabazi.

There's also a reason why Pats fans monkey chant at David Crawley (when no black players are around...)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Ah poor Dave, the double entendre there is so apt. Never heard an istance of racial abuse from anyone I've sat near. Experienced the abuse of Ndo by opposition fans in Linfield and Bucharest obviously. Don't think it's widespread in the south but that's not to say it doesn't exist. Seen a few lads get abused at schoolboy level over the years. Disgusting behaviour

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Personally I have heard it.

When Dundalk were in the Premier about 4 yrs (?) ago Mark Rutherford came on as a sub up in Oriel. They 'monkey chanted' every time he got the ball.
    It was strange because Avery John played the whole game and nothing was shouted at him.
    This could well have sparked trouble if we weren't already under attack from the Dundalk fans in the shed that night!

Night of shame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dont remember any monkey chants that night but i do remember the bohs fans throwing the first few things at the shed boys , and then it kicked off . Wee baldy guy was at the front of bohs lot thinking he was it .

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Heard it twice from Town fans, in the first season up. Both times they "visited" by other members of the fanbase. Apart from that, odd comments that have been shouted down by others*.

Main place I remember Town players being on the receiving end was Dundalkkk, both home and away. Hopefully they've rid themselves of that element, as it was fairly significant that season.

*I think it's inevitable that there will be people shouting racist comments, as I think we're quite a racist nation tbh. You hear comments and discussions in pubs and workplaces that just wouldn't be acceptable in the UK. Certainly after having grown up and gone to school in a multi cultural and multi/ non denominational environment.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I personally can't stand the abuse Derry City fans get, quite frequently, for being from the North. It's not as if they are Union Jack waving loyalists or anything?? And then fans start up with "What's it like to serve the Queen?" and all this ********.

Yet naturally we're all too happy let them do well in Europe, flying the Irish flag. I think that needs to be sorted out before you look at wider issues.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    We've had our problems at Dundalk, but it seems to be pretty much gone now, thank fook. Makes me shudder to think of the abuse Mark Rutherford used to get in the early 90s.

Ironically enough Baba Issaka, possibly the worst player ever to pull on a Dundalk jersey was something of a cult hero, seemingly because of the colour of his skin. A beneficiary of positive discrimination!

I don't think theres much of a problem in Irish football in general, though you always get one or two head cases.

On the subject of Derry fans, don't be so precious. 'Whats it like to have a Queen', 'Did you march in your parade' are taking the **** and no more offensive that 'sheep shagging *******s' or 'in your Phibsboro slums'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    I personally can't stand the abuse Derry City fans get, quite frequently, for being from the North. It's not as if they are Union Jack waving loyalists or anything?? And then fans start up with "What's it like to serve the Queen?" and all this ********.

Yet naturally we're all too happy let them do well in Europe, flying the Irish flag. I think that needs to be sorted out before you look at wider issues.

Personally i don't find it offensive when it's done in jest. However when sung constantly for most of game, you do get the feeling it's for sinister reasons. That's what i don't like..

On a funny side i remember being in the horseshoe in Cork last game of the season, before the decider and us and the Cork fans were giving it loads with rival chanting. The Cork fans started "what's it like to serve the queen" chant.(This was in jest btw and was only cork fans having a laugh). When quick as a flash young derry fan got a chant going "ask your president".Thought it was a classic reply...
    Last edited by headtheball; 04/10/2006 at 7:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    jason kabia got some terrible abuse from about 30 drog 'fans' when he was playing for cork (i think) up in utd park some years ago.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I remember Lavine getting dogs abuse...from a linesman in Tolka.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    I personally can't stand the abuse Derry City fans get, quite frequently, for being from the North. It's not as if they are Union Jack waving loyalists or anything??
    Fair play to you superfrank but just one thing, even if they were Union Jack waving loyalists they still don't deserve abuse for it as that would still be bigotry!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "Personally I have heard it.

When Dundalk were in the Premier about 4 yrs (?) ago Mark Rutherford came on as a sub up in Oriel. They 'monkey chanted' every time he got the ball.
    It was strange because Avery John played the whole game and nothing was shouted at him.
    This could well have sparked trouble if we weren't already under attack from the Dundalk fans in the shed that night!

Night of shame"

What a load of crap. The Bohs casuals came over to the shed and there was slagging going on between fans. A baldy ******** got stick and his mate punched a Dundalk fan, turned around and put his arms in the air. He then got a thumping and both sets of fans kicked off. Nothing to do with racist chanting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    "Personally I have heard it.

Night of shame"

What a load of crap. The Bohs casuals came over to the shed and there was slagging going on between fans. A baldy ******** got stick and his mate punched a Dundalk fan, turned around and put his arms in the air. He then got a thumping and both sets of fans kicked off. Nothing to do with racist chanting
    There was still monkey chants though yeah? Seen as though the thread is about racism in Irish football and all . . . .
    Also he does say that the trouble started before the racist chanting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That delightful scamp, Oliver Byrne, making light of racist abuse in an interview with Hot Press spoke fondly of how some Shels players liked telling Rutherford to get back in the shower to wash the black off.

http://foot.ie/archive/index.php/t-13338.html

SIGNATURESCOPE

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast