Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to call time on Georgie?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

time to call time on georgie?

he has played around 8 gmaes and i think we can say he has veered between the good and the awful.

his display against bohs was rubbish, his performances gainst derry, bray, shels were excellant.

i think the guy could be lucky to hold his place?

any one have any thoughts on this?
    john flynn? - awesome!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Come off it! himself and JOF are running rings around defences.....he had 1 questionable game against Bohs

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    George seems to be good in games city dominating - bit of creativity we need?

In away games so far - he did absolutely nothing against Bohs but wasn't too bad In drogheda but also poor in Monaghan.

I'm not trying to blame Gunther for the sake of it but IMO by giving George a free role he doesn't seem to have any responsibility. I wouldn't drop him yet as I think O'Flynn probably does well playing off him but Gunther needs to have a word to him & tell him theres a time when the he has to choose the simple pass.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

habits

he has a habit of holding on to the ball too long sometimes and of drifting out of games plus he needs to watch his temper. But still i think hes brilliant. him and o'flynn up front => mamma mia!!
    how could you drop him after that wonder goal against Bray! i think they could be a better partnership than morley & caulfield ( if they stay round long enough).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    in all fairness as pete pointed out george has been poor in the away games and handy in the home games. the bohs game was crying out for him to take charge and direct the play a bit more. greg and alan are not going to do taht for us

his goalscoring record could improve a bit too. wonder goals are all very well but i prefer if he scored a couple of tap ins very now and again. moreover he is playing out of position

as I say the games against harps. shams and pat's will tell a lot about all of the team. the league is there for the taking

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up georgie

Originally posted by dalo
    moreover he is playing out of position

yeah i agree with that. in some cases and at certain stages in the game he even seems to be playing behind the midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    stfu he plays well when he gets the service as does jof.they aint gettinn service
    j'accuse!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: georgie

Originally posted by eoinh
    in some cases and at certain stages in the game he even seems to be playing behind the midfield.
    MURPHY OUT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

George O'Callaghan tra la la la la

When hes good hes very good any when hes bad hes very bad!

No way should he be dropped. His biggest weakness is that he wants to do every little thing in a spectacular fashion, if they come off its fantastic but sometimes its a lot more productive to do the simple thing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: George O'Callaghan tra la la la la

Originally posted by COLM
    When hes good hes very good any when hes bad hes very bad! No way should he be dropped. His biggest weakness is that he wants to do every little thing in a spectacular fashion, if they come off its fantastic but sometimes its a lot more productive to do the simple thing.
    Problem is though Colm, a lot of the games we will play are going to be "battles" where unpretty, 'dig in for a result' type football is what's needed. I cannot see Georgie getting down and dirty !..
    Last Friday was not the type of game for George. We need a Greg or Reynolds type player in those matches. Let George turn it on out the Cross, or when we go 2 or 3 up !
    Still, I seem to be in the minority who thinks we were not too bad last Friday. Not too bad, but not to great, but isn't it the sign of a good side when they can play badly and get a result?....

Neil

Re: Re: George O'Callaghan tra la la la la

Originally posted by oddboy
    Still, I seem to be in the minority who thinks we were not too bad last Friday. Not too bad, but not to great, but isn't it the sign of a good side when they can play badly and get a result?....
    I agree. I thought we were poor. Except for John O'Flynn's oppurtunism we would have been easily beaten.

I said before, maybe we should think about using Mulligan from the start away from home (alongside JOF)?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Re: Re: George O'Callaghan tra la la la la

Originally posted by Neil
    I said before, maybe we should think about using Mulligan from the start away from home (alongside JOF)?
    Good point, Neil. If we get the upper hand, and are on top, then is the time for George to come on and do his stuff.
    The other thing to remember is that while Crowe was off form, Bohs played very well last Friday, even S. Kenny said so, and the ref was a f*cking disgrace, but we still came within 2 minutes of all 3 points.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Was'nt at the game Friday night so I'm not defending Georgie, but in all fairness what would Mulligan offer that Georgie or Colin P could'nt. Must disagree Neil/Oddboy.

Maybe if someone explained offside's to Jimmy it would be OK, and if ye are that worried about away game why not one up front and five in midfield.
    CITY til' I die!!!!

Neil
    Originally posted by Brotus
    if ye are that worried about away game why not one up front and five in midfield.
    4-5-1? No.

What Jimmy might offer is more running and chasing when City don't have the ball. Not letting the home teams center-halves pass it around and build up the play.

He would also run into the channels and the corners after balls that Georgie would want to his feet.

Ideally we'd play the same away from home as we do at home but it's inevitable that the home team will attack more at home, therefore we might need a slightly different system.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

4-5-1? No.

What Jimmy might offer is more running and chasing when City don't have the ball. Not letting the home teams center-halves pass it around and build up the play.

perhaps you are right neil but the team that played bohs was on paper on least a decent team. ideally conor o'grady would come back and john andrews would slot in centre back with greg at right back (or benett on thebench) but with the excepation of devine and flynnthe players let themselves down. this was the case against drogheda and monaghn and will happen against harps as well

the fault lies with gunther (yes I am slagging gunther ) he is far too negative when the team play away from home. there is no reason why we shouldn't translate our home form into away form. yet we can't!!!!!! george performaces are typical of this excellant at the cross rubbish away form home.

if we don't win the leage this year (or come close to trying) murphy will have little excuses.

lose the fear lads

Neil
    Originally posted by dalo

the fault lies with gunther, he is far too negative when the team play away from home.
    Well, we don't know what he tells the players in the dressing room, but, it looks like they've been instilled with the attitude that a draw would be as much as they could hope for.

I agree, we should be going into these away games with the same attitude as home games and going for the jugular.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He would also run into the channels and the corners after balls that Georgie would want to his feet.
    Id disagree with you on that one, Georgie drifts out onto the wings a good bit and into the corners, he wont exactly sprint into the space between the centre and full backs, but JO'F will. Jimmy likes to play behind the main target man who would be JO'F (who likes to be the last man forward) but that would involve JO'F having the ball first and then setting up Jimmy and I couldnt see that happening.
    Id like to see JO'F and CPOB upfront with George on the right, Rennie & Greg in the middle and Billy on the left for our home matches, I think that would be great!
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Troy.McClure
    Id disagree with you on that one, Georgie drifts out onto the wings a good bit and into the corners, he wont exactly sprint into the space between the centre and full backs, but JO'F will. Jimmy likes to play behind the main target man who would be JO'F (who likes to be the last man forward) but that would involve JO'F having the ball first and then setting up Jimmy and I couldnt see that happening.
    Id like to see JO'F and CPOB upfront with George on the right, Rennie & Greg in the middle and Billy on the left for our home matches, I think that would be great!
    as a writer who like myself who has supported gunther last season do you not think he is at fault for the poverty of our football in away games especially when we are playing cracking stuff at homes. just interested in your thoughts

Neil
    The return of Conor O'Grady will help matters away from home aswell. And I agree, dalo, it seems strange that the team performs so differently at home and away from home. It must be down to tactics and attitude.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think Georgie would be best left on the bench for tougher away games. Last friday, it would have been better to have had jimmy mull running his ass off for 70 mins and then brought on Georgie to take the p!ss out of a tiring bohs defence, instead of themheaping pressure on us. Yet again, Gunther shows his lack of tactical ability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast