Page 131 of 229 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidinho View Post
    Here Im not one for sticking up for Scotland but come on tae feck mate, how can anybody fae Ireland call Glasgow a sh!thole. it beggars belief.

Apart from the odd hun tap you see kicking about the place, Glasgow is one of the best cities to live in in the whole of the UK.
    hook. line. sinker. ya radge cant.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    "And Karpin fell in love with the winger over the starters during their first evening out."
    First dates can be so awkward.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janeymac View Post
    Moscow in November is about the last place anyone would want to be (and that is when I came across Roma in Red Square who were there for a Champions League game). I don't know how anyone could play in the conditions. It was painfully cold. Its not just learning a language - its also learning a new alphabet and even though I was really only in the main tourist area of Moscow, there were no roman signs on anything. I was also unable to buy a map to get around. Luckily I had a bit of a map from a magazine that I had taken off the plane. (I was only on a stop over). I've been in a lot of countries (including China), and I would rate it as being the most difficult to get around.
    Really? I would say the opposite, I did the transiberian over 3 months in 2008, I found China pretty difficult the alphabet was very difficult to understand and bears zero relationship to latin (western) letters. Pinyin was useful but only really was available in Beijing and even then only in the tourist areas. In Moscow there are some Latin-alphabet based signs (more than say Kiev, Sofia, St. Petersburg) it's not perfect but even after 2-3 weeks there he will have grasped most of the Cyrillic alphabet in terms of reading menus etc. Moscow is cold in winter but it always has been and the city is geared up for it, trains are heated, shopping centers are undergound etc, the football season ends in October / November...

Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Gotta love Trap's quotes on the possible McGeady move:

“I think Russia is too far and the championship is not easy. I want to ask him if he is ready psychologically, because McGeady is a very sensitive man and he is very young. Maybe it is a great opportunity, though, and I will be happy for him if he is sure he wants to go. If he is convinced, then okay.”
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    Really? I read it as wise council from a man who knows the mindset of his players & knows that a move to Russia could be a disaster. Can't say I like the idea myself; he might as well move to Japan for all the culture shock he'll likely experience. It could really damage his confidence if it didn't work out, dangerous stuff for a "tricky" midfielder.

Also, the raging cynic in me wonders whether the FAI would be willing to pay for a player to be flown to/from Russia for every international game. It must be a real money saver that all our squad plays in England / Scotland.
    Spartak would normally pay for flights back for sanctioned UEFA/FIFA games, I think Noboa the Ecuadorian at Rubin and Giorgev the Bulgarian at Terek both have homebound flights paid for by their clubs (and these flights from Kazan and Grozny would probably be more expensive than a Moscow - Dublin flight).

I dont see distance being a problem, 4-5 hours, Carl Robinson had futher to fly from Toronto when playing for Wales, Beckham from LA, Danny from St. Petersburg (to Portugal) to say nothing of the Latin American, Australian or African players in Europe. Sometimes in life you have to push yourself, take risks and overcome daunting challenges - if McGeady has the desire to succeed he will. There are some positives for the Irish team, McGeady should have some useful knowledge about Russian players, admittedly at the moment Saenko is the only Spartak player near the squad, but that could change - anyway he'll be familiar with the Zenit (Zyrianov, Denisov, Kerzhakov, Bukharov etc) and CSKA (Akinfeev, Berezuitski x2, Ignashevich players) - he'll hopefully know their strengths and weaknesses (e.g. Akinfeev's dodgy at long shots, Denisov's temprament, the Berezuitskis tend to get caught upfield attacking corners) whereas I don't know if any FAI dossier would pick up this. Additionally he'll have the advantage of playing in the Luzhniki in a highly charged game (he should play in Spartak v Zenit, which has now been postponed due to smog) before we play the Russians there (assuming it will be played there) in June next year.

5. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    McGeady deal signed sealed and delivered for £9.6M, hope you do Celtic proud ma man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Any official confirmation?

Best of luck to him. A move that definitely captures the imagination. Hope it works out for him.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Any official confirmation?

Best of luck to him. A move that definitely captures the imagination. Hope it works out for him.
    yeah was just on the leading Moscow newspapers website and they said this

Представляем MCGEEDI вниманию привилегии для обладателей Карты болельщика:

* скидка 5% в магазинах Red-White Sport (м. «Улица 1905 года» или «Краснопресненская», улица Красная Пресня, 21, м. «Парк Культуры», Комсомольский проспект, 9а);
    * возможность приобретения электронного билета;
    * приоритетное право на покупку билетов на матчи Лиги чемпионов;
    * эксклюзивные предложения от клуба, партнеров и спонсоров клуба;
    * розыгрыши призов среди обладателей карты болельщика;
    * право на покупку билетов на домашние матчи-дерби (только через Фан-клуб два билета на одну карту);
    * возможность (но не гарантия) покупки билетов на гостевые игры (один билет на одну карту) через Фан-клуб: условия приобретения определяются перед каждым матчем;
    * право на посещение открытых тренировок, клубных мероприятий;
    * другие привилегии и скидки, которые могут появляться по ходу сезона.
    Все средства, полученные от продажи карт болельщика, пойдут на нужды Академии «Спартак» по футболу имени Ф.Ф.Черенкова. То есть вы делаете инвестиции в спартаковскую молодежь, инвестиции в будущее клуба!
    1. Оформление карты возможно двумя способами:
    1.1. Из после на сайте. Для этого необходимо указать, что вы хотите заказать карту. Далее вам необходимо оплатить карту и прислать в течение 10 дней копию документов, удостоверяющих личность (для иногородних), на адрес fancard@spartak.com, по факсу: (495) 737-6484 или принести их в офис Фан-клуба по адресу Зубовский бульвар, д.17, стр.1.
    Важно: вступление в Фан-клуб осуществляется только указанными

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidinho View Post
    yeah was just on the leading Moscow newspapers website and they said this

Представляем MCGEEDI вниманию привилегии для обладателей Карты болельщика:

* скидка 5% в магазинах Red-White Sport (м. «Улица 1905 года» или «Краснопресненская», улица Красная Пресня, 21, м. «Парк Культуры», Комсомольский проспект, 9а);
    * возможность приобретения электронного билета;
    * приоритетное право на покупку билетов на матчи Лиги чемпионов;
    * эксклюзивные предложения от клуба, партнеров и спонсоров клуба;
    * розыгрыши призов среди обладателей карты болельщика;
    * право на покупку билетов на домашние матчи-дерби (только через Фан-клуб два билета на одну карту);
    * возможность (но не гарантия) покупки билетов на гостевые игры (один билет на одну карту) через Фан-клуб: условия приобретения определяются перед каждым матчем;
    * право на посещение открытых тренировок, клубных мероприятий;
    * другие привилегии и скидки, которые могут появляться по ходу сезона.
    Все средства, полученные от продажи карт болельщика, пойдут на нужды Академии «Спартак» по футболу имени Ф.Ф.Черенкова. То есть вы делаете инвестиции в спартаковскую молодежь, инвестиции в будущее клуба!
    1. Оформление карты возможно двумя способами:
    1.1. Из после на сайте. Для этого необходимо указать, что вы хотите заказать карту. Далее вам необходимо оплатить карту и прислать в течение 10 дней копию документов, удостоверяющих личность (для иногородних), на адрес fancard@spartak.com, по факсу: (495) 737-6484 или принести их в офис Фан-клуба по адресу Зубовский бульвар, д.17, стр.1.
    Важно: вступление в Фан-клуб осуществляется только указанными
    thats a lot easier to understand than the stuff you write...
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

10. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    thats a lot easier to understand than the stuff you write...
    it is isn't it, but I promised in an earlier thread I would only type in the Queens English from now on. so no more Glaswegian banter from me mate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo
    Spartak would normally pay for flights back for sanctioned UEFA/FIFA games, I think Noboa the Ecuadorian at Rubin and Giorgev the Bulgarian at Terek both have homebound flights paid for by their clubs (and these flights from Kazan and Grozny would probably be more expensive than a Moscow - Dublin flight).

I dont see distance being a problem, 4-5 hours, Additionally he'll have the advantage of playing in the Luzhniki in a highly charged game before we play the Russians there (assuming it will be played there) in June next year.
    There'll be no need to pay for his flights, as he'll never be called up.

Once Irish players venture out of the British leagues, they're out of sight, out of mind. Trap was reluctant to see English league games, so I don't think he'll be heading out to Moscow anytime before the game in September next year. He's even ruled out of the squad for tomorrow. It's not quite Andy Reid treatment, but it'll be just as effective.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post

Once Irish players venture out of the British leagues, they're out of sight, out of mind. Trap was reluctant to see English league games, so I don't think he'll be heading out to Moscow anytime before the game in September next year. He's even ruled out of the squad for tomorrow. It's not quite Andy Reid treatment, but it'll be just as effective.
    I really don't agree here. Trap has not had an opportunuty to choose players outside of England and Scotland because there are no Irish players in foreign leagues that are good enough. As long as McGeady performs for for Spartak and gets game (and probably even if he does not...), I am certain he will be called up for Ireland. I don't understand where your skeptisism is coming from on this topic... he has not been dropped from the squad either, he asked to be released from it so he can travel to Moscow to sign his contract etc...

Also, this whole flight payment malarkey. Moscow ain't a millionmiles away and is pretty easy and relatively cheap to fly to from Moscow, maybe around 600 euro or less. I higly doubt that is going to bother the FAI too much!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    McGeady is the only Irish player guaranteed to be playing in the group stages of the Champions League this season. I think he'll easily be on Trap's radar....
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    He's even ruled out of the squad for tomorrow. It's not quite Andy Reid treatment, but it'll be just as effective.
    was allowed leave to sort out his future before transfer deadline. not even remotely the same thing as the A Reid situation and you know it

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    920 Posts
    I didnt particularly want him to go there but now that its done I hope it works out for him. Along with Sheridan hopefully they might encourage more young Irish players to look abroad rather than just want to play in Scotland and England
    Its really not that complicated!!!

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

Once Irish players venture out of the British leagues, they're out of sight, out of mind.
    Not sure what you're basing such a cynical belief on. Any specific examples of Irish international-standard players who were ignored or given the cold shoulder simply because they played outside of Britain? Tony Cascarino didn't experience any such treatment whilst playing in France and I'm pretty sure even Phil Babb, of all players, received a call-up whilst at Sporting Lisbon. Those are just two players off the top of my head who make your theory look rather nonsensical.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Really? I would say the opposite, .......... Additionally he'll have the advantage of playing in the Luzhniki in a highly charged game (he should play in Spartak v Zenit, which has now been postponed due to smog) before we play the Russians there (assuming it will be played there) in June next year.
    Nothing better than reading something like that from a person who knows what he's talking about.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts

Cascarino and Aldo spring to mind... when Cascarino was at Marseille and Nancy he was still making the squad (his autobiography details having to get up at 4am to get to Luxembourg Airport and then make countless connecting flights) and I'm pretty sure Aldo was at Sociedad when he was in the 1990 World Cup squad. As others have said there are few Irish playing on the continent (or further abroad) who have the quality to be in contention for the squad. Ronnie O'Brien was sounded out when in the MLS but it didnt come to anything for personal reasons, Joseph Lapira also was given a run out in 2007 while playing university / amateur football in the USA. Connolly was getting selected for us while at Feyenoord / Excelsior Rotterdam.

I agree that the media coverage of McGeady will be minimal in Ireland, but ESPN show Russian league games and as someone else said Spartak will be in CL group stage so their games will be on Sky (also at least 2 of their home games should be seperate 6pm kickoffs, so there will always be the chance for Trap to watch him on tv). You would hope that RTE might make a point of showing at least one Spartak match given McGeady's position in the national squad...

Also you would hope that Trap or Tardelli or even Brady will be going to Russian league games to scout out the Russian national team players given they are in our group.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    hook. line. sinker. ya radge cant.
    Dinne be acting the wido wi' aidinho, ya jakey cant...
    Last edited by Den Perry; 11/08/2010 at 9:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    All credit to McGeady for being the player who managed to earn his club the going transfer rate, a good deal in a stagnant market. If the market was not so dead, he would surely have had a rake of offers. The Spartak coach with that transfer kitty at his disposal and wage contract to offer, could have had a wide choice of decent players from around the world. This transfer is another recognition of the high respect for the player that is McGeady amongst coaches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible
    Not sure what you're basing such a cynical belief on. Any specific examples of Irish international-standard players who were ignored or given the cold shoulder simply because they played outside of Britain? Tony Cascarino didn't experience any such treatment whilst playing in France and I'm pretty sure even Phil Babb, of all players, received a call-up whilst at Sporting Lisbon. Those are just two players off the top of my head who make your theory look rather nonsensical.
    Robbie Keane, David Connolly, Ian Harte, etc, etc.

Once they're not playing in England or Celtic, they're practically ignored by the management, and the general public. So Spartak will play 6 games this year in the CL, isn't that wonderful? Robbie Keane will have 6 games on tv in a lot less time.

Look at Keith Fahy tonight. Look at Kevin Doyle in recent years. More than capable players who were deliberately shunned until they crossed the water. McGeady may as well retire from international football, if he goes to Moscow. The exclusion of him tonight, is the start of what his life in the Ireland setup is about to become.

Quote Originally Posted by edmundo
    Also you would hope that Trap or Tardelli or even Brady will be going to Russian league games to scout out the Russian national team players given they are in our group.
    Why would Brady be going, when he's not part of the set up anymore? There's more chance of Trap or Tardelli taking up a season ticket in Tallaght, than of them flying out to Novosibirsk, Volgograd, or Grozny, to watch Russians play. DVD's only.
    Last edited by mypost; 12/08/2010 at 12:40 AM.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out