Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 64 of 229 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Right footed but is capable of taking corners with his left.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    ah thats it, :lightbulb:, i dont have any knowledge of the beautiful game, thanks for enlightening me BMC. I'm not anything of a singer, but even if I were, i would still be singing off a completely different sheet than you. Where did he defend last night?! If a winger cant get back and "actually defend", do you know the easiest way for him to defend is?! Its to come look for the ball off the defense and relieve the pressure off them by holding the ball up, taking a pass, going on a run, setting up a run, making a forward pass etc the simplest thing a winger can do if they cant actually defend is to attack. Mcgeady did one of those last night on a few too many occassions and lost possession ( which one do you think I am on about ?!?! ). BMS, please dont try and tell me he was class last night.

EB, what do you mean, the way you do be going on about him, sounds like you think he is world class or very nearly there....

Osarusan, i like the use of the word "crept" though I dont think you meant it in any particular way there

Torn-Ado, a sensible galway man, easy knowing you dont live in galway ( theres 2 jokes in there ) , jokin, but seriouslly I think you are right there, and its very much related to what I said above, that in these kind of games, at present, he isn't a starting option for us - read what i wrote previously.

You are talking rubbish Mr O' Shea and also jumping on the 'lets find faults with Mcgeady' brigade. What does this chap have to do to get appreciated? It just appears some people want him to fail and then say 'I told you so'. How sad is this
    Celtic were bad last night against a good Barcelona team and no player got the chance to shine. Mcgeady had to play deep, therefore only got one cross in but he got the Duff treatment in observation and was marked by 2 to 3 Barsa players each time he got the ball. By the way ,he did his fair share of defending. Next thing ye guys will be criticising him cause of the brand of boots he wears or the length of his shorts
    Anyhow what would a bogman from Roscommon know about Football?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guidedbyvoices View Post
    You are talking rubbish Mr O' Shea and also jumping on the 'lets find faults with Mcgeady' brigade. What does this chap have to do to get appreciated? It just appears some people want him to fail and then say 'I told you so'. How sad is this
    Celtic were bad last night against a good Barcelona team and no player got the chance to shine. Mcgeady had to play deep, therefore only got one cross in but he got the Duff treatment in observation and was marked by 2 to 3 Barsa players each time he got the ball. By the way ,he did his fair share of defending. Next thing ye guys will be criticising him cause of the brand of boots he wears or the length of his shorts
    Anyhow what would a bogman from Roscommon know about Football?
    well said. would anyone offer me an alternative to Mc Geady??????

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmanCas View Post
    Well done Paul - You would not play our most in form player. I rest my case. You are beyond comprehension. Please enlighten those (including me) to the benefits of playing someone other than Mc Geady - wide on the right? Who would you play instead??????? I cannot believe that we are debating a no brainer.

BMC, i dont know if i said it or not, but I meant away from home in a game like Ireland v Georgia or Ireland v Italy where we we will be under more pressure, in an attacking game i.e. at home against less formidable opponents, I would definitely have mcgeady in there as he is good at getting the crosses in, its just where we need to be more defensive minded in big games away from home, I dont think he should start, thats not to say if we are in complete control and the full back is fine without any cover then mcgeady should definitely start. I probably didnt make that clear, but I thats what I meant.

Also, BMC, my original point was about how good mcgeady actually is, I got sidetracked a little, I am saying I have seen nothing to show that he is as good as some are actually saying, and doing it in CL matches and Ireland matches is a metric for me personally,maybe not for you, but it is for me, and I have seen nothing "spectacular" in any of these games.

GBV, why did ye bold all that?! Naka shined, I thought he as class for Celtic last night, but that is probably partly down to the fact that Mcgeady was flanked. I amn't on any brigade, I am a realist, based on what I have read and seen, and how I have got my hopes up in the past for players only for them to dwindle away. We hype up players the whole time to be better than they are. Thats all I am saying.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    BMC, i dont know if i said it or not, but I meant away from home in a game like Ireland v Georgia or Ireland v Italy where we we will be under more pressure, in an attacking game i.e. at home against less formidable opponents, I would definitely have mcgeady in there as he is good at getting the crosses in, its just where we need to be more defensive minded in big games away from home, I dont think he should start, thats not to say if we are in complete control and the full back is fine without any cover then mcgeady should definitely start. I probably didnt make that clear, but I thats what I meant.

Also, BMC, my original point was about how good mcgeady actually is, I got sidetracked a little, I am saying I have seen nothing to show that he is as good as some are actually saying, and doing it in CL matches and Ireland matches is a metric for me personally,maybe not for you, but it is for me, and I have seen nothing "spectacular" in any of these games.

GBV, why did ye bold all that?! Naka shined, I thought he as class for Celtic last night, but that is probably partly down to the fact that Mcgeady was flanked. I amn't on any brigade, I am a realist, based on what I have read and seen, and how I have got my hopes up in the past for players only for them to dwindle away. We hype up players the whole time to be better than they are. Thats all I am saying.
    Offer an alternative and less of the rant..... So when we play away to Georgia we should shut up shop? Are you implying that Mc Geady can't defend?? Offer an alternative!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Stephen Ireland.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Stephen Hunt.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stephen Hunt.
    You cannot be serious. The guy is not only a terrible defender but has no ability whatsoever. I am not doubting his heart but I am, his ability. It is frivilious to suggest Hunt over Mc Geady on current form - in fact ever. Why do you think Hunt is better defensively than Mc Geady?

I hope Trapp reconises that Hunt has zero ability therefore limiting any involvement. He is nothing but a liability - evidence = Prague. Ability = zero. Can you imagine Nesta clapping Hunt or Messi praising him? He will be back where he belongs next season - in the championship. Please be credible. Stephan Ireland certainly cannot defend. Evidence - Cyprus Away - Slovakia - Away.
    Last edited by BigmanCas; 05/03/2008 at 3:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    You cannot be serious. The guy is not only a terrible defender but has no ability whatsoever. I am not doubting his heart but I am, his ability. It is frivilious to suggest Hunt over Mc Geady on current form - in fact ever. Why do you think Hunt is better defensively than Mc Geady?

I hope Trapp reconises that Hunt has zero ability therefore limiting any involvement. He is nothing but a liability - evidence = Prague. Ability = zero. Can you imagine Nesta clapping Hunt or Messi praising him? He will be back where he belongs next season - in the championship. Please be credible.
    so do you rate him or not? Its unclear from your post.
    Id also have Hunt in ahead of Mageady. Add to that Stephen Reid and Andy Reid.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

I hope Trapp reconises that Hunt has zero ability therefore limiting any involvement. He is nothing but a liability - evidence = Prague. Ability = zero. Can you imagine Nesta clapping Hunt or Messi praising him? He will be back where he belongs next season - in the championship. Please be credible. Stephan Ireland certainly cannot defend. Evidence - Cyprus Away - Slovakia - Away.

I would agree that hunt has limited ability and the way he ran around in czech certainly annoyed me, but he takes the ball off the defense and runs and gets stuck in which is more than mcgeady does in that sort of a game.

IF its not a straight swap, then I would prefer to have a reid in there or stephen reid too. Certainly more options than just "definitely Mcgeady", cos he shimmied by a few superstars of the aberdeen team.

IF finnan comes back and mcgeady plays out on the right I would be okay with that, but at the moment we would be too weak with mcgeady on the right/left with kelly or to a lesser extent kilbane.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    so do you rate him or not? Its unclear from your post.
    Id also have Hunt in ahead of Mageady. Add to that Stephen Reid and Andy Reid.
    Well done Billy - clinical thinking as usual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Well done Billy - clinical thinking as usual.

ya asked me who I would pick ahead of him. so I named some.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I think that one of the interesting issues that McGeady raises is that of 'flair' players, and whether or not they can be 'trusted' in an Irish team. As Sean Ryan noted in 'The Boys in Green', when 'the beautiful game' has been attempted by Irish teams in the past, it has inevitably ended in failure. Charlton succeeded by playing defenders like Staunton, Lawrenson and McGrath in midfield, by picking battlers like Townsend and McCarthy ahead of the more cultured Whelan and O'Leary. McCarthy's best football was played with tidy, hard-working footballers like McAteer, Gary Kelly and Kilbane on the flanks. The logic was, by making us hard to beat, we would always be in with a chance. That may be a negative mantra, but as a small country, it suited us, particularly against the bigger teams.

This is the first period in Irish footballing history that we have a relative abundance of creative talent, while struggling desperately for defensive midfielders and defenders (how Charlton would have loved to have the options of Duff, Keane and McGeady!). It's a strange time for the Irish team - on paper, the only way we can play to our strengths is by playing attacking, expansive football, yet, because we don't have that tradition, we're just not sure if we're capable of it. Just as we're not sure if McGeady can transmit his excellent CL form to the international stage. Flair just isn't part of our culture, and maybe this is why McGeady stirs up such heated debate.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Right footed but is capable of taking corners with his left.
    He's two footed, his rigt might be his favourite but you only hasve to look at his crosses/assists to see he is more than competent with both. (EB -I know you know this, I just think your comment undersells his two footedness a bit!)

He plays on the left for Celtic, but quite often will switch with Nakamura to the right. Personally he has stated he would prefer to play in the middle/hole.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    I think that one of the interesting issues that McGeady raises is that of 'flair' players, and whether or not they can be 'trusted' in an Irish team. As Sean Ryan noted in 'The Boys in Green', when 'the beautiful game' has been attempted by Irish teams in the past, it has inevitably ended in failure. Charlton succeeded by playing defenders like Staunton, Lawrenson and McGrath in midfield, by picking battlers like Townsend and McCarthy ahead of the more cultured Whelan and O'Leary. McCarthy's best football was played with tidy, hard-working footballers like McAteer, Gary Kelly and Kilbane on the flanks. The logic was, by making us hard to beat, we would always be in with a chance. That may be a negative mantra, but as a small country, it suited us, particularly against the bigger teams.

This is the first period in Irish footballing history that we have a relative abundance of creative talent, while struggling desperately for defensive midfielders and defenders (how Charlton would have loved to have the options of Duff, Keane and McGeady!). It's a strange time for the Irish team - on paper, the only way we can play to our strengths is by playing attacking, expansive football, yet, because we don't have that tradition, we're just not sure if we're capable of it. Just as we're not sure if McGeady can transmit his excellent CL form to the international stage. Flair just isn't part of our culture, and maybe this is why McGeady stirs up such heated debate.
    Very good post.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I would agree that hunt has limited ability and the way he ran around in czech certainly annoyed me, but he takes the ball off the defense and runs and gets stuck in which is more than mcgeady does in that sort of a game.
    Paul, you've made this type of point in a few posts, I dont think its entirely fair. Yes he would not be your number one choice as a wide midfielder with defensibe qualities, but even last night against Barca, when celtic did little in the opposition half, the number of 70 yard runs he made from deep in his own half relieving periods of pressure was significant. He certainly doesnt hide from his defenders when they need an outlet and more often than not, like Nakamura he will find a member of his own team with a pass (unfortunately the same cant be said of celtics defenders).

When he makes a run, it is inevitable he will lose the ball on occasion, especially against one of the top sides in europe. He has been criticised in this thread for not doing the simple things more often and Id agree o some extent, though lets not forget Celtic needed a three goals, we were only going to make any sort of dent in that tally if McGeady was direct - unfortunately for us, Zambrotta largely had the better of him (no shame in that).

BCM - You obviously love the bones of McGeady, but I think you will be taken more seriously if you dont portray him as MOTM in every game he plays and without fault. For example against Hibs last week he was average, great cros for the goal but not that much else - he was no where near Scott Browns performance on the day.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    You can't take McGeady performance in the first half out of the context say of having Donati gift possession away time and time again.
    McGeady's best defensive work I thought was in the home game against Spartak, then he could trap quite a few balls, hoofed out of defense his way, onto his little toe, wait to get clattered and win the free, relieved all the pressure.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Very good post.
    No its not, its a simple case, of we would love him starting if he were defensive minded as well. Duff almost came full circle and defends almost too much as opposed to how he used to play for us, all out attack.

Once mcgeady does what we have stated earlier FOR IRELAND, then everyone will want him starting no matter what.

Geysir, good point, this is what I am getting at, if its a case that he cant actually tackle and get back then thats his best form of defense, and he doesn't seem to be able do that in the bigger matches, why? because he isn't world class, good but not world class. He can get better though so who knows. But when people look at him showboating against aberdeen and starting blowing aiden mcgeady farts then they need to be brought back down to reality.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post

Yeah very good post I think. I think in addition to that McGeadys two performances were so shockingly bad that people are having trouble ignoring them rightly or wrongly
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Paul, you've made this type of point in a few posts, I dont think its entirely fair. Yes he would not be your number one choice as a wide midfielder with defensibe qualities, but even last night against Barca, when celtic did little in the opposition half, the number of 70 yard runs he made from deep in his own half relieving periods of pressure was significant. He certainly doesnt hide from his defenders when they need an outlet and more often than not, like Nakamura he will find a member of his own team with a pass (unfortunately the same cant be said of celtics defenders).

When he makes a run, it is inevitable he will lose the ball on occasion, especially against one of the top sides in europe. He has been criticised in this thread for not doing the simple things more often and Id agree o some extent, though lets not forget Celtic needed a three goals, we were only going to make any sort of dent in that tally if McGeady was direct - unfortunately for us, Zambrotta largely had the better of him (no shame in that).

BCM - You obviously love the bones of McGeady, but I think you will be taken more seriously if you dont portray him as MOTM in every game he plays and without fault. For example against Hibs last week he was average, great cros for the goal but not that much else - he was no where near Scott Browns performance on the day.

great post. certain people put him up on a pedastel in terms of how good he actually is.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker