Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 229 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Would you pick him to start against Cyprus?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    yeah i would and probably against czech also what with depleted squad etc but i just don't think we should expect too much as if he does start it will be his first start in a competitive game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would start him as he is on form and confident and we are playing Cyprus who are no better then Rangers or Copenhagen.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The difference with Miller is that he started about 10 games for Celtic when United signed him. McGeady has been around for 2 years now and him rate of improvement has been incredible. I agree with what you're saying about building players up and watching them fail is an embarassment but I'm certain McGeady will be a star for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    he definately needs to stay with celtic for at least another year - he only really broke into the side since last christmas and while he has been class in SPL i think he's better off away from england for a while yet. he's better off without a doubt to be playing regular ball week in week out and the odd CL game will do no harm!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    McGeady10 cant reply today - Hes on a plane to Cyprus
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Here's the most recent points from a motm thing we do on a Celtic forum (3pts, 2pts, and 1pt given for each match):

McGeady 22
    Nakamura 9
    Miller 8
    Boruc 5
    Naylor 5
    Vennegoor of Hesselink 4
    Wilson 4
    Lennon 3
    Gravesen 3
    Sno 3
    Beattie 2
    Pearo 2
    Petrov 2
    McManus 1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    If McGeady doesn't start against Cyprus it'll be an absolute joke.

In fairness I suppose it would be the consistent thing to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Celtic season stats so far:
    http://www.etims.net/index.php?optio...k=view&id=1676

It says he has 8 assists. Etims give 1 player an assist for every single goal regarldless of his contribution so I doubt he'd have 8 assists in a fantasy football game if you know what I mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    If McGeady doesn't start against Cyprus it'll be an absolute joke.

In fairness I suppose it would be the consistent thing to do.
    Ah but when has Stan ever been consistent??

I'm relying on his consistency in being inconsistent so he will pick McGeady against Cyprus...

Last edited by Dr. Ogba; 05/10/2006 at 8:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Personally I think both Duff and McGeady should start the game. The progress that McGeady has made at Celtic has been staggering and he is fast becoming a top drawer player. He is no where near the finished article because he is a bit inconsistant and suffers from confidence but when he plays well he plays very well. I think Strachan has had a huge influence on his development. Strachan has insisted that McGeady tracks back and doe shis share of the defensive work, he also tells him when he has played bad and why and makes him work hard on his game.

he is guilty of choosing the wrong option at times when it comes to passing but he does have the quality to play that killer ball through the middle, something the Irish team is seriously lacking. I think McGeady should play on the left and Duff on the right against the Cypriots. That will give the side some much needed creativity and both those wingers dont shirk their defensive duties.

Its the centre of the midfiled that is Irelands huge problem and at the moment I dont see a viable solution for it. KK and O' Shea should not start together and now that Carr has been ruled out I dont expect them to start together as one of them will need to play left back. More than likely that will be O' Shea. I would choose Douglas to player in the centre as his replacement. Being a Leeds fan I can tell you that Douglas is a decent player despite his limitations. he is extremely hard working and is not afraid to put in a tackle. he goes from box to box and scores some vital goals. He has already proved at Leeds this season that he is more than willing to burst into the box to help the attack and to provide some good creative passes. Last season Leeds had both Miller and Douglas at the club and a huge majority of Leeds fans thought that Douglas was the better player and offered more to the team. I think he should definitely start.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hoefully McGeady will stay with Celtic for at least another five years & then head to France or Italy
    Apart from the 4 teams that compete in the CL any other English team ould be a step down and he is better going somewhere where they would enhance his skill like Spain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingal hoop View Post
    hoefully McGeady will stay with Celtic for at least another five years & then head to France or Italy
    Apart from the 4 teams that compete in the CL any other English team ould be a step down and he is better going somewhere where they would enhance his skill like Spain
    if he would be better going to spain why are you hoping he goes to france or italy!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingal hoop View Post
    McGeady will go from Celtic to Arsenal. If Arsenal are not interested, and there is nothing to indicate they wouldn't be, then he would either remain at Celtic or head abroad.

Obviously though he won't be moving anytime soon.
    "Everyone, Republican or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small, no one is too old or too young to do something

-- Bobby Sands

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McGeady10 View Post
    McGeady will go from Celtic to Arsenal. If Arsenal are not interested, and there is nothing to indicate they wouldn't be, then he would either remain at Celtic or head abroad.

Obviously though he won't be moving anytime soon.
    Is there anything to indicate that they would be interested considering most of their cash is tied up in a new stadium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    He had trials with Arsenal and Man United, but was only ever going to sign for Celtic, Fergie was apparently trying to tempt him to United in the last 2 seasons, but no bid was ever lodged.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    He had trials with Arsenal and Man United, but was only ever going to sign for Celtic, Fergie was apparently trying to tempt him to United in the last 2 seasons, but no bid was ever lodged.
    Although United have always been interested Arsenal have always been in the driving seat behind Celtic.

When McGeady turned 16 Wenger offered him a lucrative deal to sign on at Highbury (far more than he got at Celtic)... When he heard McGeady was worried about moving away from his family/home he offered the McGeady family a house in London and his father John a lucrative job at the Arsenal accademy. They also set his mother, a nurse, up with a job.

Even after McGeady turned that down to sign for Celtic he was told the door would always be open for him at Arsenal... Even if he'd flopped at Celtic Wenger would have taken him because Wenger works in a way that he can identify players who will suit the way he works.

See Eboue, Toure etc... Hardly stars but signed by Wenger and turned into great players.

** another note **

When McGeady signed for Celtic he did not know how much he'd earn! About 6 months before McGeady signed for Celtic they signed Mark Fotheringham who'd been widely tipped to move south. All McGeady asked for when he signed for the Hoops was the same deal Fozzy got.
    "Everyone, Republican or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small, no one is too old or too young to do something

-- Bobby Sands

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    this needs to be aidens week , hopefully the whole world will know his name by the time we have skewered the czechs wed night...
    ah ok i dotn think we'll beat them but if aiden has a stormer it would help our chances
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Are we putting to much hope into McGeady already? I don't think it's fair on him considering he's hardly had an international career yet and I hope he's not the fall guy should things not go too well over the next 2 games.

Still, I'm more confident today than I have been all week for some reason. Must be the Friday feeling.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Well I've had a small flutter on McGeady scoring first at 10/1 in my local Ladbrokes. Twice the price of Duff.