Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Relax everyone, Carsley's back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Relax everyone, Carsley's back

From RTE website today:
    Everton midfielder Lee Carsley wants to end his international retirement and make himself available again for the Republic of Ireland.
    Carsley initially wanted to concentrate on his club career and also get over a serious knee injury.
    But the 32-year-old is ready to make himself available to new Republic boss Steve Staunton.
    He said: 'I would like to go back. I've spoken to Steve and would love to return. It's not as if they are exactly blessed with an abundance of midfielders.
    'So if I could help try to bridge that gap for them, perhaps even if it is just for another season to give the other lads a chance to mature, then that would be great.
    'You could see when they played against Holland earlier this month and lost 4-0 that it seemed as if they were thrown straight into the deep end.'

Fairly blunt assessment of our midfield at present.

Perhaps not a world-beater but I'd have him ahead of people like Miller and Douglas.
    Greece 1 - 0 Germany
    Socrates (89)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Over the post View Post
    But the 32-year-old is ready to make himself available to new Republic boss Steve Staunton.
    He said: 'I would like to go back. I've spoken to Steve and would love to return. It's not as if they are exactly blessed with an abundance of midfielders.
    'So if I could help try to bridge that gap for them, perhaps even if it is just for another season to give the other lads a chance to mature, then that would be great.
    'You could see when they played against Holland earlier this month and lost 4-0 that it seemed as if they were thrown straight into the deep end.'[/I]

Fairly blunt assessment of our midfield at present.

Perhaps not a world-beater but I'd have him ahead of people like Miller and Douglas.
    That's the bit I don't like....as well as being disrespectful, who are "they"?? Should it not be "we"?

As someone pointed out on another thread it's more likely a case of "I can get a game now instead of travelling for nothing" although I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't take him back at the moment even if I do only think he is average.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Fuk him the unless kunt left us when we needed him fair play to stan on that 1.

He is not the future , had his chance just like connolly kennedy etc and we got no were , moving on with the new lads is the way.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    who are "they"?? Should it not be "we"?
    they = the other lads

"to give the other lads a chance to mature"

read it again

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    Fuk him the unless kunt left us when we needed him fair play to stan on that 1.
    no he didn't. u should know better bwagner. his family circumstances are well known and as a family man i sympathise entirely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    More comebacks than Frank Sinatra

I reckon this is at least the 3rd time he's "come out".... of international retirement. He's not even in the squad all the time during the spells when he makes himself available...
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    stutts he left for club from what has been documented.
    I have had some family problems of my own , i didnt walk out on my responsibilties , some players these days treat their countries like crap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    they = the other lads

"to give the other lads a chance to mature"

read it again
    I know how it reads and it still looks and feels wrong to me. Would it not sound better and a little less condescending if he had said " we are not exactly blessed......." ?

Pedantic I know but there you go. I could really get the ball rolling and say if he had been born and bred on this island he wouldn't have used the term "they" but that would be pointless

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    stutts he left for club from what has been documented.
    I have had some family problems of my own , i didnt walk out on my responsibilties , some players these days treat their countries like crap
    To be fair, family comes first...always.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    agreed lads but did he not state that it was to get a run with everton?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I seeem to recall that he said he hated being away from home knowing he was only making up the numbers. I kind of relate to that. Much as I'd love to hang around I'm flying back to London at 7am on Sunday to make sure I see my kids this weekend (OK, it was a bit cheaper too ). I remember Neville Southall saying in 1985 that if Wales qualified for Mexico WC he wouldn't want to go. Missing his young kids for 4 weeks would have been too much.

I think a lot of us forget the human aspect of these guys' jobs. They'rew stars but mortal beings too. Duff to Newcastle - an honest human decision. Roy Keane's reaction to Saipan - a young man making a rash decision while away from his young family. Roy Keane's reconciliation with Quinn - a more mature man making a mature decision (worth £2m a year mind you!). You know what I'm getting at....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    stutts try and put in this prespective my father went and faught in a war likes millions of other brave men who left they families for years ....its 8-10 games a year ....boo hoo

if there was a lot of money for players in these games they wud all b over

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    well we have to take him back if he's named in the team, and support him. he played well enough against spurs last weekend. that said, i hope he doesn't try his 'seal trying to crack an oyster' routine like he did vs. turkey.
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    as if wales will ever qualify for anything
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think a lot of us forget the human aspect of these guys' jobs. They'rew stars but mortal beings too. Duff to Newcastle - an honest human decision. Roy Keane's reaction to Saipan - a young man making a rash decision while away from his young family. Roy Keane's reconciliation with Quinn - a more mature man making a mature decision (worth £2m a year mind you!). You know what I'm getting at....
    They're Prima Donnas these footballers. Any poster on this forum would chew their right arm off to represent their country in an international tournament family or no family. They have the opportunity to see their families far more than the average working man anyway due to the relatively few hours a week they actually have to work (traning and playing) compared to a 9 to 5 job. Millions of workers all over the world have to leave their families for long periods at regular intervals just to be able to afford the bare necessities to keep going. And as bwagner said 'Don't forget the war.' What war? I hope it's the Irish War of Independence you're talking about.

4 or so weeks away from their family once every 4 years or so (if Ireland are lucky based on recent form) and they are moaning like little school girls. Wasters.
    Last edited by youngirish; 01/09/2006 at 9:30 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Yes, agreed to an extent.

But the examples I cited above were carefully chosen.

Many accused Duff of lack of ambition moving to Newcastle. I reckon he just wanted to enjoy his work. I'd take the same factors into consideration if I was to change jobs.

Roy Keane's relationship with Quinn: some cited it as good vs evil (from both sides) but when you bring it down to fundamentals it was just a row between 2 guys under pressure that they've put behind them once they've had time to reflect & cool down. Simple human nature.

Neville Southall's remark was from 1985 in an interview of Football Focus on BBC. I think Wales must have been in contention around then and back then footballers weren't the highly paid upstarts they are these days.