Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on the Laws of the Game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaiscíoch View Post
    Just wondering is there any system in place throughout the junior leagues whereby they assess the competence of a given referee to enforce the rules of the game correctly and to ensure the safety of all players on the pitch?
    Assessors will assess referees locally, usually a couple of times a season, and maybe more if complaints are received about a specific referee. The Fai also run developement modules around the country to help further referees knowledge of the LotG and their guidelines.

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at with the players safety bit. A referee can't be held accountable if a player is injured, whether it be from a tackle or an act of violence!!

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I think by player safety he means the kind of games where bad tackles go flying in and the ref fails to punish players so it continues and someone usually ends up seriously injured. Rarely happens but it has happened before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    I think by player safety he means the kind of games where bad tackles go flying in and the ref fails to punish players so it continues and someone usually ends up seriously injured. Rarely happens but it has happened before.
    Ok......well here's where we run into problems......... Firstly, it's down to a referees knowledge of the Laws and his ability to identify the different types of fouls and under the LotG these are "in the opinion of the referee" and as opinions differ and with the referees view being different to most other views in the ground, here lies the problem. A spectator might view a tackle and cry "foul", the referee might view the same tackle and deem it as a fair tackle and vice versa.................Education is the way forward and that's what the Fai hope to improve with the developement modules.......to get all referees singing from the same hymn sheet by improving their knowledge.......Here's hoping!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hey ref ,will you read my original post about the referee who refused to toss a coin to decide who played downhill in a game recently an d respond please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Jofspring is more along the lines of what I'm asking.
    I ask the question about referees actual competence to Referee a game, who watches them to assess their ability.
    The reason for this is a ref who will remain nameless (has refereed a fair few games which I have played in) is constantly acting the clown for example he sent a player off straight red for asking for a Penalty?
    Book another player for asking for offside and then a dirty tackle goes in lets a tackle from behind with unreasonable force(I believe that's what the rule book says) and gives a free to the player who put in the bad tackle when asked why he game the free cannot answer the question and books the fouled player for asking?
    He then allows a 4th substitution be made when the league applies a 3 substitution rule.
    I know allot of refereeing is interpretation but the guy generally turns a game into a farce for both teams and everybody involved.
    In short who watches the watchmen?
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gaiscíoch View Post
    Jofspring is more along the lines of what I'm asking.
    I ask the question about referees actual competence to Referee a game, who watches them to assess their ability.
    The reason for this is a ref who will remain nameless (has refereed a fair few games which I have played in) is constantly acting the clown for example he sent a player off straight red for asking for a Penalty?
    Book another player for asking for offside and then a dirty tackle goes in lets a tackle from behind with unreasonable force(I believe that's what the rule book says) and gives a free to the player who put in the bad tackle when asked why he game the free cannot answer the question and books the fouled player for asking?
    He then allows a 4th substitution be made when the league applies a 3 substitution rule.
    I know allot of refereeing is interpretation but the guy generally turns a game into a farce for both teams and everybody involved.
    In short who watches the watchmen?
    Referees at Junior level are graded from 1 -4 with 1 being a top referee a Junior Level. A grade 4 referee will usually only referee div 3 & 4 matched where the quality and intensity of the game is generally low. If what you say is true, I'd report this referee to the League, the local referees society and to the local referees assessor/Fai as he obviously needs further developement......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocksalot View Post
    hey ref ,will you read my original post about the referee who refused to toss a coin to decide who played downhill in a game recently an d respond please
    This is really only a minor thing...............technically he was wrong but it may have been a case that he forgot to bring a coin so decided to just "wing it"........He could of used his head and just done a "which hand is the whistle in?" and I'm sure you wouldn't then have a gripe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hi ref,
    in regards to the coin toss or refusal to toss a coin,we objected with him there and then ,asked him why he wouldnt do a coin toss and he just said he had made his decision and to get on with it,we offered to get him a coin as we wanted to play down hill and he just refused,it may not sound like a big deal but it sets a precedence,we were not treated equally and unfortunatly this continued throughout the game.he turned down 4 penalty shouts ,3 definite penalties and he didnt give us one.he was totally biased and to be honest its referees like that which give all referees a bad name

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If what you alledge is true, then your Club Secretary should contact your local Referees Branch and maybe the local Fai assessor to bring this situation to their attention.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    U177's World Cup quarter Final
    Ireland V Japan
    What did u think of the discraseful decision of the refree in awarding the penalty to Japan when the Irish defender got the ball clearly.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    poor decision alright, but the 2nd goal??? dont le t the ball bounce....certainly not three times!!, shudda finished a draw
    'I can live with disappointment, its the hope I cant handle'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ref View Post
    Bigguy

Two conditions must be met before a caution (yellow card) can be given:

1. The referee must be happy to allow a quick free kick and;

2. The player must be deliberately trying to stop a quick free kick.

If the player who is not 10 yards away is there unintentionally (i.e. he is not deliberately attempting to stop the quick free kick) then no yellow card is to issue, in fact the referee can allow play to continue.

If the player is attempting to stop the quick free kick then a yellow card should be shown.

If the referee is not happy for the free kick to proceed e.g. a player is injured or referee is not in a good position, he is under no obligation to allow it. I personally allow quick free kicks as often as possible but what annoys me is the attacking team attempting to hit an opposition player who is not ten yards away to get him cautioned.

I hope this clarifies this for you
    if a team are tryin to take a free kick from their own half and try to take it quick(dont ask for 10 yards) and a player who is not 10 yards away blocks it he gets a yellow!!! correct??
    but if a team are taking a free around the box and dont ask for 10 and go to take it quick usualy the wall wil b setting up and will not b 10 yards away when they see the free is about to be taken they jump or whatever it takes to block the ball therefore they are not 10 yards away and deliberatly trying to block the free kick!!! so as you say the rule states a yellow should be given here?????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruffunited View Post
    if a team are tryin to take a free kick from their own half and try to take it quick(dont ask for 10 yards) and a player who is not 10 yards away blocks it he gets a yellow!!! correct??
    but if a team are taking a free around the box and dont ask for 10 and go to take it quick usualy the wall wil b setting up and will not b 10 yards away when they see the free is about to be taken they jump or whatever it takes to block the ball therefore they are not 10 yards away and deliberatly trying to block the free kick!!! so as you say the rule states a yellow should be given here?????
    This will all hinge on how the referee manages the dead ball situation. The ref needs to be proactive and control the free kick. If its in the middle of the park or in your own half and a player stands over it, the referee should move him back. If he doesn't move and delays the restart of play then he is cautioned. If it's in a more advantageous position, ie: edge of 18 yard box and the attacking team signal that they want to take it quickly and the ref is happy to allow it and they then hit the wall which isn't back 10 yrds............tough, play on!! But as stated at the beginning it comes down to how the referee manages the taking of the free kick. Also remember, if a player is cautioned for this, he's cautioned for "delaying the restart of play"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Referee09 View Post
    This will all hinge on how the referee manages the dead ball situation. The ref needs to be proactive and control the free kick. If its in the middle of the park or in your own half and a player stands over it, the referee should move him back. If he doesn't move and delays the restart of play then he is cautioned. If it's in a more advantageous position, ie: edge of 18 yard box and the attacking team signal that they want to take it quickly and the ref is happy to allow it and they then hit the wall which isn't back 10 yrds............tough, play on!! But as stated at the beginning it comes down to how the referee manages the taking of the free kick. Also remember, if a player is cautioned for this, he's cautioned for "delaying the restart of play"
    i have had this convo with various refs in matches its a joke because when a player goes to take a quick free in his own half he never tells the ref he is gonna take it quick he jst does it so if what your saying is right its that players own tough sh!t if he hits it of a player who is not 10 yards back because by the law he has to ask for 10 yards if he wants it quick he doesn ask for 10 yards rules should be the same no matter what part of the pitch you are in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    i have had this convo with various refs in matches its a joke because when a player goes to take a quick free in his own half he never tells the ref he is gonna take it quick he jst does it so if what your saying is right its that players own tough sh!t if he hits it of a player who is not 10 yards back because by the law he has to ask for 10 yards if he wants it quick he doesn ask for 10 yards rules should be the same no matter what part of the pitch you are in
    You seem to be a little confused.......But I'll try explain as best I can. Firstly, a player doesn't have to ask for ten yards, It is the responsibility of the defending player to observe the 10 yard rule.
    As I stated earlier it's up to the referee to manage the free kick. Now normally if a team gets a free in their own half it's rare that an opposing player will stand over it, so normally a quick free kick will be taken without incident and if there is a player standing over it, it's up to the referee to remove him quickly before an incident develops and he is then forced to administer a card. It's when a free is awarded in areas where the taking of a quick free kick may lead to a goal scoring opportunity that the referee needs to be proactive. If the referee controls the free kick properly he will normally ask the attacking team if they want 10 yards.....if they say yes then he will tell the wall to retreat and tell the kick taker to wait for his whistle and then pace out the distance for the wall. result: free is taken without incident. If the attacking team want to take a free kick quickly and don't want to wait for the referee to pace out the 10 yards and then subsequently hit the wall which isn't back 10 yards then... tough.

But players need to remember, if they stand over a free kick and delay the restart of play regardless of where it is on the field of play, they will rightly receive a caution!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Referee09 View Post

But players need to remember, if they stand over a free kick and delay the restart of play regardless of where it is on the field of play, they will rightly receive a caution!!
    so what your saying is, it has to be a yellow if you are not 10yards back no matter where on the field the free is???? so if the free is on the edge of the box you have to be 10 yards back no matter what so if the player taking the free wants to take it fast you cant try to block it if your not 10 yards back or you will get a yellow????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    so what your saying is, it has to be a yellow if you are not 10yards back no matter where on the field the free is???? so if the free is on the edge of the box you have to be 10 yards back no matter what so if the player taking the free wants to take it fast you cant try to block it if your not 10 yards back or you will get a yellow????
    You're getting bogged down on this. Think of it this way... I you "delay the restart of play" whether that's by stopping a free kick being taken quickly or by stopping a throw or by delaying taking a throw or goal kick near the end of the game when you're one up, it's a yellow.! Similarly, when a player gives away a free and kicks the ball away he's not cautioned for kicking the ball away but for "delaying the restart of play" hope this helps.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner
    kick, free kick or throw-in" is in the law book and I often hear refs shouting at players to get back automatic ten yards or yellow card their choice and yet we still hear players (goal keepers) shouting to stand over the ball. I also see some players put the ball down and hit it quickly to take advantage and when they hit it off an opponent cry foul. An odd referee will give them the retake (which is unfair) but a lot just yell to play on as they took it quickly (which is fair). Referees differ and we shiver.
    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,” Dr. Who

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    What did u think of Liverpool's first goal against Sudderland or do u think common sense should have prevailed that the defender was tapping the ball back to the keeper for him to take the free kick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Round Tower View Post
    What did u think of Liverpool's first goal against Sudderland or do u think common sense should have prevailed that the defender was tapping the ball back to the keeper for him to take the free kick.
    I think the referee switched off a little and actually didn't see the incident. He could clearly be seen with the whistle in his mouth looking for a dig out from his assistant, which never came. It would have made his life easier if he called it back, and the worst he would of had to endure would of been Torres whinging instead of 11 players disputing the validity of a goal. However.... technically the Sunderland played the ball after it had been placed so you could argue that the free kick had been taken................ a difficult one, but imo he could have managed it a little better........

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast