Thread: Travelling...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Travelling...

Any posters done much travelling???

Im heading off for 8 months, so won't posting much whilst away but will be relying on foot.ie to keep up to date with how we are doing in qualifying for euro08!!

Anyone got any 'must see' recommendations for tourist sights or footie.

St. Petersburg
    Mongolia
    China
    SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, possibly Laos & Camobida time permitting)
    Sri Lanka / India
    Oz & NZ
    Sth America (definitely got to see some footie here!!!)
    Costa Rica

Then home and find a job

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Any posters done much travelling???

Im heading off for 8 months, so won't posting much whilst away but will be relying on foot.ie to keep up to date with how we are doing in qualifying for euro08!!

Anyone got any 'must see' recommendations for tourist sights or footie.

St. Petersburg
    Mongolia
    China
    SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, possibly Laos & Camobida time permitting)
    Sri Lanka / India
    Oz & NZ
    Sth America (definitely got to see some footie here!!!)
    Costa Rica

Then home and find a job

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    I was in St. Peterburg in 1990. It's hard to remember specific things to do there after 16 years but I can tell you it's a beautiful city, much nicer than Moscow.

There's the obvious sights in China, the Forbidden Palace, Tianamen Square, the Great Wall etc. I'd also go and see the The Emperor's Summer Palace and the Chinese acrobats.

The only part of Australia I've been to is Sydney. There's lots to see and do there but you should definitely go and see the Blue Mountains which are about 100k outside of the city. Also, spend some time around the Harbour area. It's a beautiful area of Sydney and there's plenty to do there. You could visit the aquarium or go whale watching on a catamaran, stuff like that. I'd particularly recommend the latter. There's plenty of nightlife as well. All in all it's a great city.

If you have time in New Zealand I'd strongly recommend that you take a drive from Picton, which is the northern ferry town of the southern island, down the west coast as far as Queenstown. It's possible to do it in one day if you're prepared to spend about 14-15 hours driving in one sitting but if you want to appreciate your surroundings you're better off spreading the drive out over 2-3 days. The drive is pretty much all through national parks and mountain ranges. Spend a few days in Queenstown and do as many of the outdoor activities as you can. I also recommend doing a helicopter ride on to one of the glaciers. Queenstown is expensive but there's loads to do and it's a place that you'll never forget. Just another pointer, I wouldn't spend a long time in any of the major NZ cities, Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch as 3-4 days in each of these is more than enought to see what they have to offer.

That's all I can say I'm afraid as I haven't been to any of the other places.

Anyway, enjoy.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Cheers Paulie, appreciate that.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Travelling? This might help ya boss!
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    was in mongolia and china (and Korea)
    a great travel experience
    the Gobi desert is huge, lots of crazy things you can do in a desert
    Beijing is a nightmare, crowded, rude people, and pollution
    if you are travelling during the winter , let me suggest you go to Harbin, it has a cool ice light festival, and has the most beer drinkers anywhere in the world, albeit chinese beer is weak!
    and, man, chinese food is awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was in peru for seven weeks this summer,as im from there i dint bother going to the tourist places but if you want any other advice ill give it to you.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    China -Tianmen Sqaure, Forbidden City and great Wall are musts. As has been said the acrobats to. It's worth it if you can see Mao's body but you'll have to que for about 3-4 hours so just stand back and marval at the que is my advice! Summer palace is deffinatly worth it and try to visit some of the big state gardens to -v. impressive (just don't get locked in at closing time!!) If you can get into Tibet for a bit Lhasa is well worth it (jsut don't take the railway!) Visit www.freetibet.org for advice on how to visit without aiding the destruction of Tibetan culture.
    Cambodia I haven't been to but I've been told the killing fields are v. moving.
    If you get a chance cross from Indonesia to East Timor to take a look round.

If you've got any questions about China feel free to PM me though a couple of posters here have actually lived there!

Just don't be tempted to visit Burma whilst you're round that region!
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Beijing is a nightmare, crowded, rude people, and pollution
    Smog, spitting and soldiers
    But deffinatly worth visiting!
    Last edited by sligoman; 22/08/2006 at 11:18 AM. Reason: merge...
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    New Zealand is a great country.
    Do a skydive in Taupo
    A bungy in Queenstown
    Go zorbing in Rotorua
    Snowboarding in Wanaka
    Drinking in Wellington

Take a boat ride through Milford Sounds for the most amazing scenery ever.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liam88 View Post
    Smog, spitting and soldiers
    But deffinatly worth visiting!
    yeah its interesting, but what the hell will they do with the olympics, a major clean up is required

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    yeah its interesting, but what the hell will they do with the olympics, a major clean up is required
    Aye deff; the IOC has told Jianto's mob that pollution levels are to high to be accepted -if they don't get rid of the smog they can technically be stripped of the olympics or (more realistically) face a heavy fine.
    Also apalling is the use of the Tibetan Antelope in their olympic symbol-just another claim that Tibet is there's.
    To be honest I'd love to see a boycott of the olympics on human rights grounds but that genrally only happens for more political motives (ref. Moscow and USA).
    They are very excited about it though -I was there in 2003 and they we're already selling the merchandise. I'll stick to the 'Games over-Free Tibet' range

Back to juniors travelling though -sounds an amazing year and an excellent chance to experience really different cultures.
    Long live the Pope! Free Burma (NLD/SNLD), Free Tibet (Burma Campaign/Free Tibet Campaign Alliance), Free the Rossport 5! (ACCOMPLISHED 30/09/05)

BOYCOTT TOTAL OIL-Please Read!