Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rovers featured in English newspaper

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rovers featured in English newspaper

Here is a copy of an article that appeared in England in the Non-League Paper on Sunday...

IT'S been three years since the Eircom League of Ireland launched summer football. Fixtures now run from March to November.

The NLP sent our roving reporter Tony Incenzo to the Emerald Isle to find out if the switch has been a success...

The jury is out on summer soccer in Ireland. The standard of football and playing conditions have improved greatly, with Irish clubs now starting to make an impact in European competitions. But attendances in the Eircom League have been disappointing.

I watched 10 games in 10 days at the end of June and spoke to a cross-section of the Irish soccer public in a bid to assess the impact of summer fixtures.

My first port of call was Dundalk - a club who have won the title nine times in the past. Club general manager Peter Halpin is a former youth team player with Crewe Alexandra and Leicester City. He has firm views on the summer schedule.

" We are competing against the GAA ( Gaelic football and hurling) in the summer months," said Halpin. " At Dundalk, we have found that our attendances have decreased dramatically. We have also suffered from the televised World Cup matches this year."

The Gaelic Games are tremendously supported in Ireland. The Dublin v Laois football game at Croke Park recently attracted 67,790 spectators whilst 53,286 witnessed Cork v Tipperary in the Munster hurling final at Thurles.

In comparison, the biggest attendance I encountered in the Eircom League was 1,536 for Derry City v Dublin City. And the lowest was 79 for Kildare v Cobh.

Derry have traditionally been a well-supported club. And they certainly have the noisiest fans in Ireland with a barrage of drums and chanting throughout their 3-0 win.

Derry assistant boss Paul Hegarty is a big fan of summer football and his views echoed most of the managers and coaches I spoke to.

He said:" The standard of football has definitely improved because of the better pitches and training conditions in the summer. I played for Derry for 12 years and I can see a big improvement on the field of play since we switched to a summer schedule.

" We have just been drawn against Gothenburg in the UEFA Cup. In the past, we would have thought ' F**K that!' But now we feel we have a chance of beating them.”

Over at Sligo Rovers, the viewpoint is that the summer schedule is not a success due to diminishing attendances.

Commercial manager Richard Sutherland said:" In our part of Ireland, farmers and country people work the land more in the summer as it is bright up until 10 o'clock at night. In the winter, they were more prepared to come and watch Rovers play on a dark evening. So our crowds are well down."

And I obtained a different angle on summer soccer when I went to see the Mayo League play an Eircom Under-21 fixture at Castlebar.

League official Joe Butler said:" We actually launched summer fixtures for the Mayo League back in 1994. The main reason we made the switch was that we have particularly bad weather in the west of Ireland and too many games were being called off in the winter.

" We had to keep extending our season so the move to summer soccer made sense. Now the rest of the country has followed us!"

Despite the mixed reaction, summer football is here to stay in Ireland. And the whole concept has been studied in detail by the League of Wales, who have been considering a similar switch.

There are further developments in the pipeline across the Irish Sea which are also designed to boost the domestic game. The Eircom League will merge with the national FA of Ireland, who will run the league from the 2007 season onwards.

A four tier Eircom League structure will be launched in 2008 with a (newly named) Premiership, First Division, a new 'A' championship ( for reserve and Non-League teams) and an under-20 league.

The Premiership will be reduced from 12 teams to 10 from 2009, with all top flight clubs encouraged to go full-time. There are currently only half a dozen outfits who are fully professional.

And the total prize fund will increase from the existing level of E450,000 to E803,000 with the league champions receiving a handsome purse of E225,000.

FAI chief executive John Delaney said:" Within three years we should have a fundamentally changed and improved senior league. There is a sense of something unique happening and we might just get one shot at this so we have to make it work."

Eircom League chairman Paddy McCaul added:" Change is never easy but the new proposals have brought a feeling of confidence and optimism. The clubs want to aspire to greater success and they have a really good vision of where the game can go in Ireland."

------------------------------

SLIGO ROVERS manager Sean Connor is adamant that summer soccer is a big success in Ireland.

He feels that the product on offer has been greatly enhanced and the composition of teams has changed with dramatic effect.

Connor said:” The standard of football has improved immensely. We have had what feels like a 10 year progression in the space of three years due to the introduction of a summer schedule.

“ We now have much better pitches and improved training facilities. That has led to a switch in emphasis, with technical skills coming to the fore in matches.

“ In the past, Ireland used to have teams full of old cloggers just launching the ball from back to front on the muddy winter pitches. Now, we can use much younger players and work on their technical ability.

“ The average age of my side is only 22 and that bodes well for the future of Sligo Rovers.”

Connor also feels that the effects of the summer switch are far-reaching for Irish clubs when they are competing on the international stage.

He said:” It is no surprise that the Eircom League teams are doing much better in Europe now. It won’t be long before an Irish club reaches the group stages of the Champions League.

“ Shelbourne almost did it a couple of years ago when they beat both Reykjavik and Hajduk Split before losing narrowly to La Coruna in the final qualifying round.”
    ---------------------------

SHAMROCK ROVERS boss Pat Scully is well known to English fans after a playing career with Arsenal, Preston, Northampton, Southend United and Huddersfield.

And Rovers are perhaps the most famous club in Ireland, having won the league title 15 times. So Scully’s views on the summer switch carry some weight.

He said:” I’ve been all for summer football and I am glad it came in. The standard of play has definitely improved, as better pitches lead to more quality on display.

“ But the main advantage - and this is a huge benefit - is the training. We now bring the lads in on bright nights and in good weather, so you can put on a really good session.”

The Irish teams are hoping to catch up with the progress of Scandinavian clubs, who have made huge steps forward in European competitions over the past 20 years. And Scully believes that the summer season will greatly assist that aim.

“ Our sides have always struggled fitness-wise in Europe in the past,” he said.” Because they were playing the matches in our pre-season period in July.

“ But now the likes of Shelbourne and Cork City have been getting good results in Europe over the past couple of years because they have been playing the games maybe 15 fixtures into our domestic season. So they have a much better chance of getting positive results as they are at the height of their fitness.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Commercial manager Richard Sutherland said:" In our part of Ireland, farmers and country people work the land more in the summer as it is bright up until 10 o'clock at night. In the winter, they were more prepared to come and watch Rovers play on a dark evening. So our crowds are well down."

how many farmers come to the games...and how many dont come because the are working the land????sweet fcuk all.what is this guy on about??
    and more importantly what is he doing to improve attendances....selling bits of wall?

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

and they would go home over the cobbled streets on the horse and cart....selling their herd of cows in exchange for salt..eagerly trying to save up enough money for the donkey fair in 1864....

richard sutherland you are an idiot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Good article, but have to say that, that Sutherland guy comes out very poor in it. I mean, the poor attendance figures at the showgrounds, compared to what they were hoping for, are due to farming related commitments????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Tony Jackson of the Sligo Rovers Farmers Supporters Trust had this to say on the matter:
    "where is the showgrounds?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wild rover
    and they would go home over the cobbled streets on the horse and cart....selling their herd of cows in exchange for salt..eagerly trying to save up enough money for the donkey fair in 1864....

richard sutherland you are an idiot
    lol, but unfortunately from your view, you are spot on !! WHAT ARE YE PAYING THIS GUY? I hope he is on commission only, as he doesn't deserve to get paid coming up with that load of ****

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    all he does is sell bricks and stands in the little shed selling scarfs on match days

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stars
    all he does is sell bricks and stands in the little shed selling scarfs on match days

and buy rounds of shots in toffs

i seriously cant believe he said this....believe me id say he gets a very good salary and all he has done is organise a few summer camps and sell some crappy rotting bricks that nobody wants....he hasnt done one thing to boost crowds...thats should be his no 1 priority..
    Last edited by Rory H; 27/07/2006 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Right that is s hite talk about farmers but what can he do to increase attendances. I started going to the Rovers when I was about seven or eight and there would be a group of us right up until the late nineties, one by one they dropped off. Ask them why? The same old answers or excuses crop up. The old regulars lost the habit of going and it will be very difficult to get them back if ever.

Sutherland has organised football camps all over the North West for the summer at 70 euro a go, catering up to 80 to 100 kids is obviously bringing in a few pound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    he could advertise the games more.....he could offer reduced rates.....special offers to entice people to go....i know what you mean...the old regualars left and never came back..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red bellied
    Right that is s hite talk about farmers but what can he do to increase attendances. I started going to the Rovers when I was about seven or eight and there would be a group of us right up until the late nineties, one by one they dropped off. Ask them why? The same old answers or excuses crop up. The old regulars lost the habit of going and it will be very difficult to get them back if ever.
    same happened me..used to be 6 or 7 of us go in,but they dropped off,more interested in the british leagues..one guy even stopped paying his E10 fee in to the games, to ave money to go to a juve V milan game...i live in 'farmers land' and most of my neighbours (who follow football) go to the games week in, week out. Sutherland is doing a decent job,i think,with the summer camps,my cousin is going to it and it costs about E80 each kid. and theres about 30 in his 'class'. thats 80X30=E2,400,and theres u-10s,u-14,u-16 etc. levels...so its gonna make a couple of grand each week for the club!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Dundalk attendances are down because they used to be in the Premier winning things & now they not.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Crowds are more or less the same as last year except there is more away support so that tells yeah its the same crowd that are going, Rovers get plenty of coverage in the local press and radio, arguably the best in the country. Again the club chairman this week has come out and said they need more people through the gate. If Sligo people want a team in the LOI then they will pay the 15 euro every two weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    in fairness €15 isnt bad for an adult considering the type of football we are playing and the results at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    exactly The Stars is right , its the going rate and we have the best team we have had for nearly 10 years so i dont see whats the problem!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    i read this article a week ago&couldn't believe what he said. surely he's taking the p*ss but that doesn't mean he's doin a bad job. i was talkin to him a cupla weeks ago&he said changing the games to friday and things like that have nothin to do with him so he probably can't do anythin with admission fees. the summer camps seem very well organised so fair play to him there. we can't really judge whether he's doin a good job or not cos all his work is behind the scenes
    "Even if the sun ceases to rise, Even if the sea ceases to flow, Even if the wind stops to blow, The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning, glinting star in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stars
    in fairness €15 isnt bad for an adult considering the type of football we are playing and the results at home.
    Agree 100%. But something must be done, regarding a family ticket. It's very expensive on a parent(s) who has a few chiselers wanting to go. It would be fantastic PR, instead of all this negitive remarks made by Toolan and Co "if ye want Premier Football in Sligo, blah blah"
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    There is the Super Reds that has started up again this year have two kids myself. Only on the rare occasion last year did I have to pay for them in some of the fellas on the gate have more sense than others. Agree that some family ticket needs to be sorted for those not in the Super Reds.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    By the way, the Non-League Paper has a circulation of around 70,000 in the Uk so this is good exposure for the Eircom League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The guy sounds like he doesnt know what he os on about, but if the soccer schools are doing well then that aint bad.

U-10s should be free - that would get us continued support going into the future, get more parents going and the kids would spend money when they are there anyway.

Seems to work for a lot of Ingurlish clubs.

Also what about grading games ie. Cat A, B and C and have different prices for each (so long as it didnt affect attendances)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast