Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The A Championship?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

The A Championship?

What do people think of this one? I can't tell if the non-league sides that will be in it will continue to compete at Intermediate Level as well or only in this league? In some respects it seems a glorified reserve league and if it is to be competed in exclusively by non-league teams then I don't see it as something to aspire to. However, if clubs will continue to compete in the MSL, LSL or whatever as well then how would they step up to the First Division in mid season if they won the playoff. Also, if they were relegated could they return to their respective Intermediate top flight?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    But this A league runs with our summer season and not the seaon of intermediate. Can't see non league clubs going to huge expense and then fielding their reserve team in the leeague. Strange one.

One of the better moves by the el was to abolish the reserve league and introduce the U21 league in its place.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Good point, but wouldn't that mean Intermediate clubs running a team all year round? Also, the new era will impose upon Premiership clubs the necessity to have a reserve team to enter the A Championship whereas it will only be optional for 1st Division sides. I don't see why they'd encourage teams to have such big squads. But then again I think the new U-20 league won't run alongside it anyway so maybe it'll just be effectively U-20 teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yeah but it gives even less emphasis on youth development IMO and that s the one thing they should be emphasing most
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Well, there'll still be an underage league, reduced to U-20s. I guess that puts an ever so slightly more emphasis on putting together a young side. They'll still compete for the Doc O'Neill trophy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yeah but now there's an extra team between them and the first team. A team won't have to have 40/50% of their squad U21, they can just pack the reserves with journeymen pros, and during the winter months play loads of kids. There's not much incentive for them to bring those lads through. The poorer clubs will obviously still have to do it so it'll just create another divide in the league
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    The poorer clubs will obviously still have to do it so it'll just create another divide in the league
    That's what I am thinking, it's a bizarre one. Shels could probably put players with international caps in a reserve team but if UCD were required to have a reserve team it would just be full of U-20s. I don't see the point in insisting that clubs have a reserve team, it's only added expenditure. This A Championship seems a bizarre concoction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What would happen if an unfavoured club wins the reserve league? Could we have trinity college or Garda in the First Division?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet
    What would happen if an unfavoured club wins the reserve league? Could we have trinity college or Garda in the First Division?
    Well first of all, the example of the A Championship given in the document is imaginary based on the non-league teams currently in the Doc O'Neill U-21 League. There's no guarantee clubs like those would be in the A Championship. Personally I'd be amused to see Trinity come up, it would give us a real rival. Anyway, the way the thing will work is that the highest non-league team in each conference (there could be 2-4 depending on the level of interest) will compete in a playoff to decide the A Championship winner. The non-league side must be no lower than 4th in their conference though. Then this winner can challenge the last team in the 1st Division to a playoff. It's still a long path to go to get into the league. I'm also thinking if a team gets relegated into this glorified reserve league, it could be the biggest graveyard of all. Had it existed a couple of seasons back then Limerick would surely have fallen into it. Given the rather long path it takes to get out of it and its unappealing unglamourous nature, it could be severely damaging to get relegated into it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    That's what I am thinking, it's a bizarre one. Shels could probably put players with international caps in a reserve team but if UCD were required to have a reserve team it would just be full of U-20s. I don't see the point in insisting that clubs have a reserve team, it's only added expenditure. This A Championship seems a bizarre concoction.
    Is the intention of the FAI to have a Premiership of 10 teams capable of fielding a team in the A League?

Just because UCD would struggle to field a team means nothing!
    Maybe its further indication that UCD should not be considered for one of the Premiership places.

With bigger crowds and salary caps in place there shoudl be no reason why a Premiership club cant field a decent A team. If UCD cant get the crowds its their own problem.
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins
    If UCD cant get the crowds its their own problem.
    Do you think that teams like Portsmouth or Watford should be kicked out of the English Premiership?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    What are you getting at...
    Does the EPL require all the Premiership clubs to have a team in the A League?

If it does and Watford cant fly a squad over every weekend for the games then yes under the rules they should be kicked out.
    www.ssdg.ie

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Well you brought crowds into the discussion...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I brought crowds into the discussion as its a major source of income for clubs. If you are a club with a decent fanbase then why would you be incapable of fielding an A league team?

Your the one mixing up the present situation and the ideal situation the FAI are aiming for.

If we adapt the UCD attitude the league goes nowhere as you dont have the vision or the funds to do anything.... If you keep working off the weakest link in the premier we get nowhere.
    Its about time criteria was put in place and Im glad there is some off field criteria too. You all harp on about the Club Licencing and how great it is ? Is that 100% on the field ???

Clubs can be kicked out of leagues without a Premier Licence and yet they could have won the Premier but thats OK! However when it comes now to rules which clubs have difficulty meetign they are all of a sudden unworkable.

Maybe UCD should plan their future that includes an A team so as they are not left behind rather then moan and complain on foot.ie
    Last edited by higgins; 28/05/2006 at 2:13 PM.
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Is the intention of the FAI to have a Premiership of 10 teams capable of fielding a team in the A League?

Just because UCD would struggle to field a team means nothing!
    Maybe its further indication that UCD should not be considered for one of the Premiership places.

With bigger crowds and salary caps in place there shoudl be no reason why a Premiership club cant field a decent A team. If UCD cant get the crowds its their own problem.
    Very silly post. Salary caps will help enable bigger squads? I think it's not a great idea to impose upon clubs the need to have a reserve team as it isn't necessary. Financial prudence is what should be encouraged by the league, not added unecessary expenditure. Could you try not to drag UCD into this debate. I only offered us as an example of one club that would not be having a seperate reserve side. If the measure of a great club is one that can afford to have a superfluous squad of players then there is something wrong. Shelbourne themselves appear to be suffering for it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I agree that U21 league is good as encourages clubs to have younger squads.

Can't see the point of the A Championship as even by their own admission the FAI haven't fully figured it out or even know how many non-league sides will join it.

I think little chance that A Championship will ever happen.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Very silly post. Salary caps will help enable bigger squads? I think it's not a great idea to impose upon clubs the need to have a reserve team as it isn't necessary. Financial prudence is what should be encouraged by the league, not added unecessary expenditure. Could you try not to drag UCD into this debate. I only offered us as an example of one club that would not be having a seperate reserve side. If the measure of a great club is one that can afford to have a superfluous squad of players then there is something wrong. Shelbourne themselves appear to be suffering for it.
    Here you go again with your lack of ambition....

Why do you think teams having a reserve side and an U20 side is just extra expenditure?
    It is very possible that by having a reserve side you have players who are match fit and when they play for the senior side they are not found wanting and it will help make for a better game?

There are some reasons out there to have a reserve side and its not all about losing money.

I didnt turn it into a UCD debate?
    Shels and UCD were mentioned and I posted my thoughts.

The FAI are aiming for a league that will have sides capable of fielding A teams. Just because there are current clubs in the Premier who see this as an extra expense says more about their lack of ambition then it does the FAI's.

It may not be practical now for some clubs but why not aim for this??

It may never happen anyway as they have to set up the a team to look into it. Seems unworkable with the summer and winter leagues but let them have a look at it and lets see.

OR ELSE!!

We can all keep posting on here knocking every idea that might mean smaller clubs with no ambition are found out.
    Last edited by higgins; 28/05/2006 at 3:10 PM.
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Higgins, what are you talking about? This is not some long term vision, we're talking about 2 years. Right now Shelbourne are running themselves into financial difficulties by maintaining a large squad and getting little success from it. If anything in these two years you'll be scaling your squad back. A squad as large as that is only necessary if a club is competing in the Setanta and Europe. However only 4 clubs can ever do that at one time. Bohs have suffered for maintaining a big enough professional squad without success and you're headed for the same path. You're confusing realism and sensibility with lack of ambition. Ask Peter Ridsdale about following your ambitions and living the dream.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bloody great idea this A Championship lark, about time there was some way of relegating crap 1st division teams and putting good junior teams in their place. The reserve team will be in essence the current U21 team and the U20 team will be a chance for younger players again, a higher standard than playing DDSL anyway. Poor Student what are you on about saying we couldnt field a team. Weve already got the 1st team, U21s, 2 teams in the LSL and about 64 College Superleague teams, we have the biggest pool of players going and this A Championship setup suits us better than anyone else
    We are the U the U the UCDD!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Here you go again with your lack of ambition....

The FAI are aiming for a league that will have sides capable of fielding A teams. Just because there are current clubs in the Premier who see this as an extra expense says more about their lack of ambition then it does the FAI's.

It may not be practical now for some clubs but why not aim for this??
    Higgins,
    I think you're missing the point here. I don't see any club having difficulty fielding a reserve side, in the case of UCD and probably most clubs it would mean 'promoting' our top LSL team and adding in the overage players from our current U21 team.

The point is that fielding 3 squads instead of 2 is an increase in player costs at the same time as the salery cap reduced the money available for these costs. It's not a case of certain clubs seeing it as an extra expense, it actually is an extra expense.

Someone above made the point that seperating the reserve side from the U21 side is going to make little difference to UCD as our reserve side is almost entirely underage anyway. That was a simple observation, it doesn't show a lack of ambition, nor does it show that we would struggle to field a team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast