Thread: Duff to leave Chelsea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Duff to leave Chelsea?

Duff under pressure as Chelsea boss targets Simao move

May 17, 2006

Damien Duff’s future at Chelsea is in peril after Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho hinted that he could be bidding farewell to one of his wing quartet in the summer transfer market.

Mourinho has already dipped into the Abramovich billions to complete the signing of German superstar Michael Ballack, and AC Milan striker Andriy Shevchenko is also tipped to make the move to Stamford Bridge before the start of next season.

And the Blues boss has revealed that he will attempt to prise his Portuguese countryman Simao Sabrosa from Benfica in a bid to bolster his creativity in wide areas.

His arrival would bring about the departure of one of his wingers, and that could mean the end of the road for Duff at the club.

Dutch star Arjen Robben and England ace Joe Cole are seen as safe from the chop, which leaves Duff and the under-achieving Shaun Wright-Phillips in most danger.

But with the Irishman’s contract expiring next summer and no new deal as yet forthcoming, he could be the one forced out the exit-door before the start of the new season.

www.elevenaside.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope he moves - Mourinho is too negative and doesnt let him run with the ball

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya i think liverpool would be a good move for him.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Paul Rowan in the Sunday Times recently suggested that Duff only had one year left on his contract, not two as was commonly thought. Would make it more likely that he'd be the one to leave in my opinion, though I suspect Robben could be tempted to move too.

It'll be interesting to see how Joe Cole plays in the summer. I have a suspicion that he's great to have against inferior teams, but against the best he's yet to do anything of note (that I can recall anyway). For example, when it was really important, he underperformed badly at Anfield in the CL semi-final. I wouldn't count his miss in the FA Cup semi, it's more his overall impact that I'm referring to.

The article above refers to the "underperforming SWP". That's harsh, he hasn't been given a chance to perform. I suspect Chelsea only bought him to keep him away from their rivals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I saw a headline on Teletext yesterday about SWP going back to Man City next season so maybe it's him.
    I didn't read the whole lot but I think it's safe to assume it would be in a loan deal as City would not be able to pay a fee for him or I suppose if they haven't received the whole payment they could write it off.

I hope Duff moves anyway, it'd be nice to see him running at defences again....

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    For example, when it was really important, he underperformed badly at Anfield in the CL semi-final.
    Yes, but that was last season. He is now a much better player. On the Duff issue he HAS to move away from Chelsea, although I doubt there is any truth in the Simao rumour as it looks like Mourinho will play without wingers next season, unless he wants to sign him to stop him going to Liverpool like stopping SWP from going to Arsenal last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Not one quote in the article though.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Paul Rowan in the Sunday Times recently suggested that Duff only had one year left on his contract, not two as was commonly thought.
    It took me 30 seconds to find out that Duff signed for Chelsea in July 2003 on a 4 year deal - if any colleagues of Mr Rowan look in here can they please show him how to use this interweb thingy.

As per usual there is loads of transfer speculation about ins and outs at the EPL Champions - however not even the most dubious rumour sites have made mention of Duff.

I suspect Mr Rowan and whoever does the 11-a-side site just found themselves with some white space to fill.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    totalfootball - Mourinho was misquoted in the first place which is why Sky Sports changed their article.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I was talking about the article in Eleven a side.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Journos are obviously having a hard time keeping up with the special one as the Guardian has the quote as being quite different:
    "Chelsea have four great quality wingers and as long as we keep them, I'm not thinking of Simao. If one of them were to leave, then it could be hypothetical."

Going back to the original guff in eleven-a-side:
    Quote Originally Posted by joema
    Dutch star Arjen Robben and England ace Joe Cole are seen as safe from the chop, which leaves Duff and the under-achieving Shaun Wright-Phillips in most danger.
    Any Chelski watcher would tell you that:
    a) The four would be rated in the following order: 1. Cole, 2. Duff, 3. Robben, 4. SWP
    b) Robben's Da (or agent?) has already linked him to a move to Spain
    c) SWP has been a total failure and needs a move to rescue his career

In summary - those hoping for a Duff move should dream on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah I'd have thought Duff was ahead of Robben, certainly seemed to be getting more games than him towards the end of the season. Then again playing 4-3-3 Chelsea don't really need 3 wingers let alone 4.

Surely SWP is out the door? What side does Simao play on, that would surely be a clue.
    "...and it's Charlie Chaplin on the wing..."

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I think Simao can play both sides.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Simao can play both sides, but regardless I don't see him going to Chelsea. The slight stumbling block earlier in the season regarding the fee in his move to Liverpool will be ironed out and he'll go to Anfield. It does smack slightly of the SWP move last season. He was never going to be a regular but nevr mind sure he wouldn't be at Highbury.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    It took me 30 seconds to find out that Duff signed for Chelsea in July 2003 on a 4 year deal - if any colleagues of Mr Rowan look in here can they please show him how to use this interweb thingy.....I suspect Mr Rowan and whoever does the 11-a-side site just found themselves with some white space to fill.
    From what I can see, both Rowan and 11 a side are stating that Duff has one year left on his contract and you are confirming it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    From what I can see, both Rowan and 11 a side are stating that Duff has one year left on his contract and you are confirming it.
    Rowan and 11 a side are "confirming" 3 year old news - I wish I had a job as easy as that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I am caught between a rock and a hard plate here.I want what is best for the Irish national team but at the same time i want what is best for Duff. I dont give a flying fig about Chelsea and only watch them to see Duff play. I really would live to see the old Duff back even if it meanns me being selfish and he goes to another club.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    Rowan and 11 a side are "confirming" 3 year old news - I wish I had a job as easy as that.
    Your post implied Rowan got it wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    I would put robben ahead of duff. Robben wasnt playing mainly because of all the matches he was suspended for.

Morinho was quoted in saying "that only one of his wingers was definitely departing this summer" which would suggest to me to be SWP with all the complaining his ould fella has been doing. Probably go to liverpool I'd say, cannot see any of the other 3 leaving although Robben has said he is thinking of going to la liga and the irish press as usual are nonstop talking about Duff.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Mourinho,I believe considers Duff to be his best winger.He did recognise his poor form,but put this down to injury,whereas he lambasted Robben for his form.One has to say Cole has had a great season but I would say its in this order.

(1)Duff (2) Cole (3) Robben (4) SWP

I still think Robben is the most talented though,while I reckon Cole has been one of the top five or six players in England this year.He's played like Duff has for the last 3 or 4 years(before last season).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    Your post implied Rowan got it wrong.
    Nope - that I never did.

I was just making the point that Mr Rowan is getting paid a fat journo salary (plus expenses) to "suggest" something that has been public knowledge for 3 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast