Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: League size?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

League size?

Alot of talk about the IL resorting to 10 or 12 teams in the IPL to increase competition and quality. The EL currently have 12 teams but was wondering what number of teams people would prefer to have in the EL if given a choice.
    Would an increase reduce quality drastically or add a bit of excitement with new teams etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dassa
    Alot of talk about the IL resorting to 10 or 12 teams in the IPL to increase competition and quality. The EL currently have 12 teams but was wondering what number of teams people would prefer to have in the EL if given a choice.
    Would an increase reduce quality drastically or add a bit of excitement with new teams etc.
    16-18 teams with two regional first divisions north and south.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Have to agree with you. I think playing each team twice a year is enough and with 15 grounds to visit it adds a bit of excitement to travelling to support Loughgall which trust me can be very hard to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Have to agree with you. I think playing each team twice a year is enough and with 15 grounds to visit it adds a bit of excitement to travelling to support Loughgall which trust me can be very hard to do.
    What are the pubs in Loughgall like ??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Looking at some of the large population centres in ROI that arent represented in the ELP it suggests that the ELP could be expanded?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Problem is dassa that clubs don't want to know. Its not a closed shop, if someone applies to enter the league (with proper structures) they'll be more then welcomed
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    10 teams is too few - playing Pats 3 times a year is bad enough, 4 should be dealt with under the geneva convention; more than 12 and the quality - I use the term loosely -wouldn't be there. A 16 team AIL would work though.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Interesting points, In IL the Glens and Blues have met so many times this season i get the impression the fixture may loose the bite it has. If the league was reduced further another two fixtures against each team would be added, would this really bring the crowds back? I think that an overhaul of the competitions clubs play in needs to be brought in. Do EL clubs play in regional cups such as your own versions of Co Antrim shield, Mid Ulster cup etc. Fixtures like these add a burden that could easily be removed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Do EL clubs play in regional cups such as your own versions of Co Antrim shield, Mid Ulster cup etc. Fixtures like these add a burden that could easily be removed.
    No - just league, cup and league cup; add the Setanta though, and the potential for Cork - Drogs clashes this year rises to 8.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan
    the potential for Cork - Drogs clashes this year rises to 8.
    Oh my gawd !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think it was only about two years ago, but between League, League Cup and FAI Cup we played Drogheda 7 TIMES one season. By God I was delighted to see the end of those games once the last one was out of the way!

It's only a matter of time, but I can't wait until the administrators of both our leagues see sense and we have a16 team AIL. How the IL has sustained the amount of sides in it's top division that would struggle in the eL first division defies logic. It's not the be all and the end all, but it makes sense and with proper marketing and more importantly FOLLOW UP, we could really get football on this island recognised by the blind minions.
    I got no lips I got no bones where there
    were eyes there's only space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    18 teams in one league, with teams from North and Republic is the future of football on this island.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesThompson
    I How the IL has sustained the amount of sides in it's top division that would struggle in the eL first division defies logic.
    What's your basis for this?
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Do EL clubs play in regional cups such as your own versions of Co Antrim shield, Mid Ulster cup etc. Fixtures like these add a burden that could easily be removed.
    Cork like to win the Munster Senior Cup every year to massage their egos, but the rest of us don't need to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

re

It's a clear sign of problems when the number of teams in a league is changed twice in quick succession. Personally, I'd prefer an All-Ireland fully-professional League of about 12 teams, because I don't think there's sufficient quality/resources for more at the minute. Otherwise, what we have down south is fine now. The Irish League is f*cked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    10 team premier
    10 team first division
    3 regionally based second divisions (winners of each enter playoff with bottom of first for promotion)
    all clubs absorbed into a pyramid system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The problem I'd have with a league any bigger than 12 is that with 3 eurpoean places and 2 relegation places the mid-table would become too big. Too many clubs would know very early that they aren't going to either qualify for europe or get relegated and we would have a lot of meaningless games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet
    The problem I'd have with a league any bigger than 12 is that with 3 eurpoean places and 2 relegation places the mid-table would become too big. Too many clubs would know very early that they aren't going to either qualify for europe or get relegated and we would have a lot of meaningless games.
    Perhaps a 16 team league with an expanded Setanta could change that. You have 6 less games in the schedule and more empty schedule slots to play with. You could also give all Setanta qualifiers a bye to the League Cup 2nd round. Of course any expanded Setanta does create problems with the different league schedules.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JW.
    The Irish League is f*cked.
    I wouldnt say that, some clubs are in problems but sure isnt that the case with every league. I actually think that the troubles with some clubs like Coleraine and Ards have been a blessing in disguise as it has maybe brought it home to other clubs that paying ridiculus money to semi-pro players is not sustainable in the long term. I personally cant see an AI league, An expansion of the Setanta possibly but AI league will not solve the problems of armchair fans watching Man utd on Sky on saturday or the impressions given out by our local media. I think that the novelty of the Setanta is already wearing off and attendances havn't been great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fiddling around whether there'll be 10 or 12 or 40 teams in the EL is like arranging deckchairs on a leaky boat. Unlike the Titanic, the EL and IL will both struggle along never really getting anywhere but are always in danger of sinking. There just has to be some form of league encompassing the while island.
    So what if European places are "lost" - already covered in another thread - but the Setanta showed that a league of the best clubs in this small island, with games played on Friday nights and Saturday nights has real potential. You could have afternoon games on a Saturday too.
    Financially, the current set up, North and South, is really unsustainable and finance will dictate in the end. Fcuk all the bullsh!t about Green and Orange tradition/politics. I wouldn't give a flying fcuk if Linfield fans came to Mels and sang God save the Queen until their throats went hoarse - if that floats their boat so be it. What I'd want to see is a good game of football between a good Linfield side and (hopefully) a good Athlone side.
    Personally, I'd have far more in common with Linfield, Glentoran than fcuking Chelsea, Manure and, yeah, even West Ham whom I have a soft spot for and that's all.
    I'd love to see games involving Dungannion, Linfield etc and Athlone in our new ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast