Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Niall Quinn to buy Sunderland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    hope it happens-that way he wouldnt be co commentating on any ireland games.
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Interesting indeed...Reports are suggesting that Quinn is eyeing up the vacant manager post...never thought he'd really cut it as a manager, doesn't seem to have the ruthless streak required to be the boss...

Anybody know if he's got the relevant UEFA/FIFA badges?

Yeah he's a brutal commentator as well..."All credit to everybody"...shockin!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think it would be great if he bought Sunderland. At least it would take him away from his journalistic endeavours (hopefully). While he plays the nice guy role there's something nauseating about the bloke.

And what ever happened to the drunk driving thing ???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Should this be moved to World Football along with Keanes testimonial etc etc.
    In Trap we trust

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD
    Should this be moved to World Football along with Keanes testimonial etc etc.
    I don't see why, this is the Irish international forum and should concern
    all things related to Irish international football past and present.

Prehaps some people's personal predjustices get the better of them?
    I don't think threads should be moved unless they are clearly in the
    wrong forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Think Quinn has some badges, remember reading somewhere that he looked after the reserves or youths or someone under Peter Reid.

Why a man who is idolised by Sunderland fans would want to risk his reputation is beyond me. Not to mention the fact that he is undoubtedly makin a good living off media work and the nags

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouthpiece
    Think Quinn has some badges, remember reading somewhere that he looked after the reserves or youths or someone under Peter Reid.

Why a man who is idolised by Sunderland fans would want to risk his reputation is beyond me. Not to mention the fact that he is undoubtedly makin a good living off media work and the nags
    because he loves the club and doesnt like where its going ... he realises the potential in the club .. recently bought apartment in sunderland too ... they are dying for him to take over in sunderland .. he has taken his first coaching badge and is taking more soon ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    But I dont see why an ex Irish international buying an English club is in the Ireland forum and a testimonanial for an ex Irish international player is in the world Forum. I am the one pointing out the prejudices. I think it should be a level playing field what forum it is in.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinedineontour
    ... they are dying for him to take over in sunderland ..
    Are they? That's the official Sunderland message board. I don't know if there are bigger ones, but the people there seem to be okay with the possibility, but not exactly crying with joy, and they're doubtful that it's going to happen.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83
    Are they? That's the official Sunderland message board. I don't know if there are bigger ones, but the people there seem to be okay with the possibility, but not exactly crying with joy, and they're doubtful that it's going to happen.
    not the main message board just go onto the big one www.readytogo.net and you will see what i mean .. from someone who goes to most sunderland games they are really hoping like myself it will happen ... the man is a legend in sunderland ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I saw somewhere it's an £80 million offer - how much would Quinner have to pony up as part of it and I know he's lots of bobs in his bank account but is he a very wealthy man????

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quinn wouldn't be that wealthy in my opinion. The early years of his career were prior to the influx of money from BSkyB. I read his autobiography and he said that for years he squandered his money on alcohol. If that wasn't enough, his wife arrived from Ireland with her life-savings and he squandered that too. Whatever money Quinn has would have been earned since his move to Sunderland (in 1996?).
    In my opinion, the man is a legend. One of my all-time favourite players to pull on the green jersey. He's very articulate and a great ambassador for the country. I think its amazing the way some "fans" come on here and slag him off over a drink-driving incident or for being a generous person. Ironically, the same people would probably justify the behaviour of a certain player who ended another player's career, as well as having numerous scraps in English nightclubs.
    Best of luck to Quinny. I hope he gets involved with Sunderland and brings the club back to where it belongs.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    Quinn wouldn't be that wealthy in my opinion. The early years of his career were prior to the influx of money from BSkyB. I read his autobiography and he said that for years he squandered his money on alcohol. If that wasn't enough, his wife arrived from Ireland with her life-savings and he squandered that too. Whatever money Quinn has would have been earned since his move to Sunderland (in 1996?).
    In my opinion, the man is a legend. One of my all-time favourite players to pull on the green jersey. He's very articulate and a great ambassador for the country. I think its amazing the way some "fans" come on here and slag him off over a drink-driving incident or for being a generous person. Ironically, the same people would probably justify the behaviour of a certain player who ended another player's career, as well as having numerous scraps in English nightclubs.
    Best of luck to Quinny. I hope he gets involved with Sunderland and brings the club back to where it belongs.
    Thanks for that TJPM - I read somewhere that he has his fingers (financially) in horses, pubs, media etc plus made a few bob in the final years of his football.

I presume he'll pony up maybe a million or so. It's been denied that J.P. McManus is also involved. Be interesting to see how this pans out. Pity he couldn't invest a few bob in an EL club while he's at it.

BTW as regards his media work - don't Dunphy and co get 750 euros or thereabouts for appearing on RTE panels so I presume Quinner gets a nice wedge for his work on Sky and his weekly article in The Guardian.
    He wrote a blistering attack on the G14 clubs in yesterday's Guardian too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    BTW as regards his media work - don't Dunphy and co get 750 euros or thereabouts for appearing on RTE panels so I presume Quinner gets a nice wedge for his work on Sky and his weekly article in The Guardian.
    He wrote a blistering attack on the G14 clubs in yesterday's Guardian too.
    Is it 750 euros they get? I heard it was twice that. Anyhow, I'm sure Sky pay Quinn lots for appearing on their panels.
    I'd agree with you that it would be nice if Quinn pumped money into an EL club instead.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJamaicanP.M.
    Is it 750 euros they get? I heard it was twice that. Anyhow, I'm sure Sky pay Quinn lots for appearing on their panels.
    I'd agree with you that it would be nice if Quinn pumped money into an EL club instead.
    Can't swear to that TJPM but I read it somewhere. Wonder do they get travel and accommodation costs when they have to fly in from the UK???

Quinner appears on several panels and matches each month so he must be raking a lot in.

Oh, doesn't he (and the missus) do the odd advert too??

I'm sure he knows what he's doing but given the astronomical costs of running a club, he's taking a big risk. Hope it works out ok for him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirhamish
    I saw somewhere it's an £80 million offer - how much would Quinner have to pony up as part of it and I know he's lots of bobs in his bank account but is he a very wealthy man????
    1.5 million euro of his own cash been invested ..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zinedineontour
    1.5 million euro of his own cash been invested ..
    Thanks zot - not too high a sum. Is that a promise, if you follow, of 1.5m euro or is it a sum he's actually put in already???
    Also, I wonder will the deal also involve doing a deal with banks to get a big loan or other investors to guarantee a big loan???

Don't really understand these financial deals TBH.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I and a lot of other people in this message board who are EL fans would ask the following question.... Why not take over a club in the EL ?
    For a fraction of the money involved in the Sunderland bid, you could bankroll a club at home in Ireland and practically guarantee European football every year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie
    I and a lot of other people in this message board who are EL fans would ask the following question.... Why not take over a club in the EL ?
    For a fraction of the money involved in the Sunderland bid, you could bankroll a club at home in Ireland and practically guarantee European football every year.
    Yeah, CTID, you've got Irish blokes trying to buy some club called Aston Villa, Quinner trying to buy Sunderland, Magner and co in Manure once and probably others too.
    Suppose it's just a business venture to them although Quinn has an emotional tie to S'land.
    Anyway, other than a few Premiership clubs, UK footie is hardly a good business proposition in any case, is it??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast