Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The rehabilitation of Miller

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The rehabilitation of Miller

I feel Miller has been given a rough ride by many Ireland fans so his goal tonight may have been an eye opener. He's been doing great stuff for Leeds for a good while now. That he hasn't broken through at Man U comes down to all sorts of nonsense. I think he deserves another look.

As for Stan ? Fair play. I've pulled the **** out of his blonde, red, ginger, shtraaawberry blonde in the past (a hairdresser friend has since confirmed that the unusual hue is known as "Ardee Sunrise", the style a "Cuchulainn") but he did well tonight.

I would hesitate about reading much into home friendlies. Didn't we draw with Brazil and beat the Czechs ??? It was against the unremarkable Swiss and the frankly crap Israelis that we missed out on the WC.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

I agree with your asessment about friendlies, however there was an enthusiasm about Ireland tonight that I have not seen for awhile. The fooball played by us was not particularly eye catching, but, neither was Swedens performance. Now that might be down to the state of the pitch,but I thought we adapted better and proved that this squad of players should be in Germany this summer. I was very skeptical about Staunton getting the job,but he has shown on tonights performance by Ireland that Kerr was the wrong man in charge for our world cup campaign. Hopefully Stan can continue the impetus and confidence gained from tonight to qualify for Euro 2008.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Getting a bit carried away there. He scored a cracking goal last night but didn't do much else - got muscled off the ball a lot. I follow Leeds a good bit and Miller isn't exactly setting the world alight. He gots lost in games all too often - he needs to bulk up and become more of a presence for the 90 mins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    it was a confidence boost for him though. At least he knows he can do those types of things at the highest level (although friendlies). Hopefully he will work on his strength.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Miller flashed in small doses when at Celtic but more often than not was ineffective. He's getting on quite a bit now, almost 25 I think. He's at his best like last night, deployed as an impact sub.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can never understand why professinal footballers will not just buy some soya protein and go down to the gym for 45 minutes a day until they put on another 12/14 lbs of muscle. Its not that hard and should not take anymore than 12 months. Miller, Ireland, O shea and Flood all spring to mind as needing to do a bit of weights. I am not talking Andrew Sheriden proportions here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    last night was a free for all. even irelands greatest bench warmer got in on the act. very happy for him no doubt but he's not up to much. another championship player at the same level as alan quinn, johnathan douglas, mark kennedy. you never know though...
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    I think Miller made his debut for Celtic at 17 or 18 but was completely injury ridden and too weak until about the age of 22 and made hardly any appearances between his debut and his semi-breakthrough. I think he was already considered having bulked up. Too much bulking up and you lose your pace and mobility.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    bulking up does not mean you lose your pace and mobility, have you seen many skinny 100m runners recently. Have you compared Brian o Driscoll now from when he first played rugby for Ireland. You cant say he has lost any of his speed or mobility. Anyway as I said I am not talking about Mr Universe just a little less of the Mr Puniverse we are seeing.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    tony hickey is now back he knows all about building bulk being a former bodybuiler much more than football trainers perhaps he can give the likes of miller and paticulary flood tips on how to bulk up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock
    bulking up does not mean you lose your pace and mobility, have you seen many skinny 100m runners recently. Have you compared Brian o Driscoll now from when he first played rugby for Ireland. You cant say he has lost any of his speed or mobility. Anyway as I said I am not talking about Mr Universe just a little less of the Mr Puniverse we are seeing.
    100m runners run for about 10 seconds, it's pure muscle to drive them as fast as they can for that length of time. You should be comparing footballers to long distance runner, combining muscle with loads of stamina
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    ehhh? professional association football requires a lot more flexibility than rugby or sprinting. Could you really see the Maurice Greene playing soccer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    100m runners run for about 10 seconds, it's pure muscle to drive them as fast as they can for that length of time. You should be comparing footballers to long distance runner, combining muscle with loads of stamina
    or comparing them to a good lover.....Combining Muscle with loads of stamina........and a huge gooter!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes i could see Maurice Green playing football, anyway I am certain (i hope) that you can see the need for Miller, O Shea, Ireland and Flood to add some strength. Are we saying that this would have an negative impact on their overall game. Again the flebility and mobility issue is not a concern as I am only suggesting an accetable increase. I am not talking WWF for ffs. Thiery Henry reckons the fastest defender he has played against is Roberto Carlos. Carlos attitude to training is well documented.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Yes i could see Maurice Green playing football, anyway I am certain (i hope) that you can see the need for Miller, O Shea, Ireland and Flood to add some strength.
    I've no doubt Green is fit enough to play football, but I couldn't seem him lasting a full 90 minutes, the sheer size of him would have an awful impact on his conditioning.
    I do see the need for some players to be built, central defenders and midfielders need extra muscle for tackling, etc, but wingers (e.g. Duff, Flood, McGeady) need more flexibility, extra muscle would adversely affect their speed, which is a large part of their game.
    Ireland is still only 17/18, he is still growing, give him a chance
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    yeah where was mcgeady last night? injured i presume
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say
    yeah where was mcgeady last night? injured i presume
    McGeady has been injured a few weeks now and will be out for most of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    McGeady has been injured a few weeks now and will be out for most of the season.
    According to his latest diary here, http://www.icons.com/mcgeady/diary.html?28.2.06 he should be back within a month
    It looks now as though it will be April when I may be back in first-team action

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Ronaldo was twice the player before he bulked up too much, which put too much weight on his knees.

And look at our own Richie Dunne, he's improved since de-bulking a bit.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    should stay at Leeds

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrosst...p?newsid=21432

No talk” of Leeds stay – Miller

March 3, 2006

Irish international midfielder Liam Miller has revealed that he will return to Manchester United at the end of the season in an attempt to force his way into the first-team picture under Sir Alex Ferguson.

Miller is currently on loan at Leeds until the end of the season, starting 17 league games to help the Elland Road side into the top four of the Coca-Cola Championship table.

He gave the world a glimpse of the talents that took him to Old Trafford in the first place with a second half stunner against Sweden on Wednesday night.

His improved performance was put down by many observers to the extended run of first-team action he has received at Leeds – but the 24-year-old has no thoughts of making the move to Elland Road a permanent one.

He told the Irish Daily Star: “I’ll go back to United at the end of the season and I hope to push for a place there.

“There’s no talk in Leeds about staying after the end of the season.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast