Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talking at Gigs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Talking at Gigs

I was at a Bellx1 warmup gig on Sunday for "fans" only. I was disgusted by the levels of talking. I quickly recorded two samples of chatting at its worse. You will need to turn up your speakers. I have 20 minutes of this babbling over songs on video.

http://forum.thefulloctave.com/viewtopic.php?t=474
    For all your League of Ireland news - www.extratime.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It annoys the hell out of me too. Why do people bother going to gigs to talk? I was at Zero 7 in the Brixton Accadmey a couple of years back and ended up telling the people in front of me to shut-up so I could hear the gig.

Also at a Damian Rice gig in the same venue he ended up telling everyone to "Shut the fcuk up or get out"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I have Gig-rage. It slowly creeps up on me and once it takes hold, I am liable to tell anyone to shut the fcuk up. It just never registers with me how they can pay into a gig for to talk. Do they not realise that it completely ruins gigs????? Argh, rage building....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finlma
    It annoys the hell out of me too. Why do people bother going to gigs to talk? I was at Zero 7 in the Brixton Accadmey a couple of years back and ended up telling the people in front of me to shut-up so I could hear the gig.

Also at a Damian Rice gig in the same venue he ended up telling everyone to "Shut the fcuk up or get out"
    Ironically in the culture we live in you and your mate are lucky ye weren't ejected for threatening behaviour.

I've never understood why it's not only acceptable but laudable to turn around to someone in a cinema and tell them to pipe down but if you do it at a gig you're an aggressive oddball.

Saw the proclaimers here in Limerick a while back and in fairness most of the crowd were there to hear one song. Now the reid brothers aren't the loudest band on earth (think that's still Manowar) and the place was like a chicken coop the whole way through the set. Very annoying.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    the last giug i went to pixies in dublin , a guy and a girl talked all the way through to make it worse not once did they even look at the stage !!! ,

but worst was at bob dylan this idiot young fella kept putting his bird up on his shoulders normally i dont mind but she was so ugly i nearly got sick in the end i screamed at him to put that ugly thing down i paid to see bob dylan not her fat ugly buck tooth face .... may have gone a bit far but he did nt lift her up again .( he was wearing a THE ROCK tshirt so he deserved to get screamed at )

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208
    b
    but worst was at bob dylan this idiot young fella kept putting his bird up on his shoulders normally i dont mind but she was so ugly i nearly got sick in the end i screamed at him to put that ugly thing down i paid to see bob dylan not her fat ugly buck tooth face

I'm not a doctor; but it sounds to me as though you may possibly have issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anto1208
    the last giug i went to pixies in dublin , a guy and a girl talked all the way through to make it worse not once did they even look at the stage !!! ,

but worst was at bob dylan this idiot young fella kept putting his bird up on his shoulders normally i dont mind but she was so ugly i nearly got sick in the end i screamed at him to put that ugly thing down i paid to see bob dylan not her fat ugly buck tooth face .... may have gone a bit far but he did nt lift her up again .( he was wearing a THE ROCK tshirt so he deserved to get screamed at )
    My fave putdown is "I didn't pay good money to look at your arse all night, although under different circumstances I might"

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Shows nothing but a lack of respect, these people should be thrown out. Course if the music was loud enough it might drown them out.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marked Man
    I'm not a doctor; but it sounds to me as though you may possibly have issues.
    but you dont understand how ugly she was , my stomach is turning just thinking about it and it was 2 years ago !!!!

it was bad enough she was let out in public but to then lift her up on display

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    If I go to a gig and feel like talking to my mate I will. Stand closer to the speakers if you're the sensitive sort.
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Docboy
    If I go to a gig and feel like talking to my mate I will. Stand closer to the speakers if you're the sensitive sort.
    But Docboy -would you do that in a cinema? If not -then why do it during a performance at a gig?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I kinda see it from both sides. it bugs the crap out of me if it is someone else but I have done it meself as well.sometimes you go to gigs with peopel u havent seen in ages and just end up havin a bit of craic with them. went to see glengarry glen ross in the olympia and people were late gettin to their seats so others were shushin them to such an extent that they were makin more noise than the latecomers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Docboy
    Would you shout over the music at your mate and during quiet songs talk completely over the music? If so, why did you go to the gig? Its nothing to do with sensitivity. Its to do with paying to hear a band. Why buy a ticket if your just going to talk thru it?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i am normally a very placid character, but i was on the verge of knocking a girl out a a recent frames gig in the point. she spent the entire gig telling everybody around her that she was the frames biggest fan, but never actually shut up for long enough to hear them. we were on the balcony at the time and i seriously considered sending her crowd surfing. damn but i'm in a rage just thinking about her.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

be honest

Lets be honest its not really a gig if you can hear people talking
    A real gig should be so loud that the only way to communicate with the person beside you is by sign language.Your ears should bleed and your head should pain after it and as for the so called quiet slow song type moments
    thats the time to go to the bar!
    At a real gig asking someone to be quiet should automatically lead to your front teeth being knocked out
    I blame it all on pop idol!
    if its to noisey for you buy the cd and sit in a dark room all day

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ah the youth of today. someday you'll be as old as the rest of us hoops1, and then you too will be looking forward to sitting down in a nice comfortable chair while the performer gentle entertains you, without the sound of some idiot clattering away in the background!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Rover 2 u

:d:d :d

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover 2 U
    someday you'll be as old as the rest of us hoops1, and then you too will be looking forward to sitting down in a nice comfortable chair while the performer gentle entertains you,
    you must be happy that stringfellows opened so!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    oh yeah! very comfortable couches, plenty of entertainers and chatting is strictly forbidden!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1
    A real gig should be so loud that the only way to communicate with the person beside you is by sign language.
    Maybe if you're into death metal or other such rubbish music. Some songs are quiet hoops1 and if people are talking through the song it's very annoying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast