Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: The clash of boxing day: Glens - Linfield 1-4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The clash of boxing day: Glens - Linfield 1-4

I was at The Oval yesterday for Glentoran-Linfield, and let't say everyone in the stadium (even the most fanatic Glens fan) will have to agree: Linfield are way too strong for the rest of the country. 4-0 versus the nr 3 (Portadown), 1-4 at the nr 2 (Glens), 3-0 vs that same Glens in the cup final, regular scores of 5-0 and higher when playing a mediocre team, 8 goals vs Larne and 9 vs Institute... They now scored 103 goals so far this season and we're only halfway. It's simply frightening to see the ease they score with ; okay, the opponents are not too well, but even then it's damn incredible to have an average of 4-5 goals per game.

I am afraid it will be a very boring second half of the season, the question is how quick Linfield will be champions. If they go on like this they won't lose a single game this season in the IL. It will be a damn boring second half of the season, but even as a non-Linfield fan I can only say it's well deserved to them. I have seen EL every week when I lived in Dublin and seen several IL games since having moved north, and I can honestly admit Linfield's the best team I've seen since living on this island.

Fair play to Glentoran for keeping on trying yesterday, and the consolidation goal was well deserved for the effords, but in fairness they should be happy the humiliation was "only" 1-4...

And finally a nice conclusion: for the first time since I live here in NI, I've seen an Irish League game getting a sold-out crowd. Almost 10000 people, of whom 3800 of Linfield, and if security allowed to open the remaining two terraces (which were kept empty to seperate the LFC fans from the Glens fans) there would have been way over 10000.
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    Almost 10000 people, of whom 3800 of Linfield
    That is a good crowd alright !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There were no tickets left, so consider it a sold-out ! I was lucky that
    a) someone had a spare ticket he was selling outside of the ground
    b) he sold it to me for the regular price (6 GBP) rather than asking a multiple of it

See, touts aren't always bad! (tout or taut ? )

Anywayz, it's Linfield's title now. It's much more realistic that they end with 15 points ahead and no domestic loss, more realistic than that they'd suddenly collapse and have Glens or Ports going above them.

I doubt if they can keep the team together though. Thompson and Ferguson score as if it's the easiest thing in the world ; surely some teams from over the water must have noticed that... And I know, Larne's defence ain't Aberdeen's or Villa's defence, but even against Larne and co it's amazing that Ferguson scores almost 3 goals per game in average.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Ferguson won't be going anywhere abroad as he's as old as the hills. 35 or 36 I think. I see Linfield missed another penalty, their penalty record is terrible this season hard as it is to belive for a team who have scored so much. It's embarrassing seeing the scores that Linfield are racking up. The whole reputation of Northern Irish football lies on Linfield's shoulders going into the Setanta. If Linfield don't do well then it's a very sad indictment of their league. Is it that Glens and the rest have gone backwards or Linfield forging forward?

Gerrit, if he sold you a ticket for face value then he's not a tout.
    Last edited by Poor Student; 28/12/2005 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gerrit - the game was not sold out. There was just under 8000 there as Glens didn't shift their allocation. A summary glance at the action on the pitch would tend to confirm that many Glens expected this performance, after the debacle on 10th December, and so stayed away.

For the record, Glentoran's performance on Boxing Day was embarrassingly naive.

Linfield have completely seized the momentum offered by winning the Setanta Cup. By arrogantly not taking this competition seriously ourselves, we have arguably gone backwards since winning the Irish League.

There are lessons in that for all of us.
    The only Irish club to win a European trophy.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Linfield are in great form at the minute, but I wonder if the transfer window could see Peter Thompson getting picked up by someone else with a little more clout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student
    Ferguson won't be going anywhere abroad as he's as old as the hills. 35 or 36 I think. I see Linfield missed another penalty, their penalty record is terrible this season hard as it is to belive for a team who have scored so much. It's embarrassing seeing the scores that Linfield are racking up. The whole reputation of Northern Irish football lies on Linfield's shoulders going into the Setanta. If Linfield don't do well then it's a very sad indictment of their league. Is it that Glens and the rest have gone backwards or Linfield forging forward?

Gerrit, if he sold you a ticket for face value then he's not a tout.
    The Setanta has a lot of honour with it, but is not the final judgement on neither EL nor IL. One or two off-days can decide the tournament, and we may just as well have Drogheda or Dungannon winning it. That would not make Shels, Cork, Derry and Linfield bad teams suddenly!
    (all the respect to Drogs and Swifts by the way )

As for the question I put in bold: I'd say a combination of both. Glentoran didn't find its best form yet, and Linfield have improved a lot. It's say it's both Glens being is less form and Linfield that got stronger. Fact is that in their current shape, Linfield would be too strong for even Glens on top form. Linfield is way above IL standard at the moment, and I'm afraid we'll see more 8-1's and 3-9's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lux Interior
    Gerrit - the game was not sold out. There was just under 8000 there as Glens didn't shift their allocation. A summary glance at the action on the pitch would tend to confirm that many Glens expected this performance, after the debacle on 10th December, and so stayed away.

For the record, Glentoran's performance on Boxing Day was embarrassingly naive.
    Linfield have completely seized the momentum offered by winning the Setanta Cup. By arrogantly not taking this competition seriously ourselves, we have arguably gone backwards since winning the Irish League.

There are lessons in that for all of us.
    Explain? They were overpowered by a side that's too strong for the rest of the country. I don't think it's something to feel bad about or so, it's not like Glens didn't try or had bad intentions. What I saw, or the way I experienced the game, it was just a matter of Linfield being too strong and not Glens playing a bad game or throwing it away by their tactics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Explain? They were overpowered by a side that's too strong for the rest of the country. I don't think it's something to feel bad about or so, it's not like Glens didn't try or had bad intentions. What I saw, or the way I experienced the game, it was just a matter of Linfield being too strong and not Glens playing a bad game or throwing it away by their tactics.
    When you play 4-3-3 - your three being a left back, a scrummager and a workshy right-winger - against 4 very strong and skilful midfielders, I'd say that's being 'tactically naive'.

Yes?
    The only Irish club to win a European trophy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    The Setanta has a lot of honour with it, but is not the final judgement on neither EL nor IL.
    Agreed .... talk about the goal that never was, anything could happen ... os it is not the final measuring stick at all.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    The Setanta has a lot of honour with it, but is not the final judgement on neither EL nor IL. One or two off-days can decide the tournament, and we may just as well have Drogheda or Dungannon winning it. That would not make Shels, Cork, Derry and Linfield bad teams suddenly!
    (all the respect to Drogs and Swifts by the way
    Ok, so whats the basis of this assessment below, I had initially thought your point was because they were the holders of the Setanta Cup, but now I'm not so sure:

But on-topic: Linfield is the best side in both parts of the isle. Period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well, I have frequented EL when I lived in Dublin so I think I'm entitled to compare with cross-border teams, and I've seen Linfield several times since moving north. The level they play is better than any team I've seen so far since arriving on this island. Of course, the opponents are not top class here (less good than in the EL anyway) but still, the way Linfield plays and how easily they dominate and score is better than usual standard on this island.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Well, I have frequented EL when I lived in Dublin so I think I'm entitled to compare with cross-border teams, and I've seen Linfield several times since moving north. The level they play is better than any team I've seen so far since arriving on this island. Of course, the opponents are not top class here (less good than in the EL anyway) but still, the way Linfield plays and how easily they dominate and score is better than usual standard on this island.
    So what you meant to write earlier was:

But on-topic: Linfield is the best side in both parts of the isle. IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Linfield are a part time side playing other part time sides and amateur teams. It would be a different proposition going up against full time sides from Dublin, Derry and Cork every week. Look at their European results v the EL over the past 10 years.
    They won the setanta fair and square, but even the most die hard blue will admit it was a shock result.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie
    Linfield are a part time side playing other part time sides and amateur teams. It would be a different proposition going up against full time sides from Dublin, Derry and Cork every week. Look at their European results v the EL over the past 10 years.
    They won the setanta fair and square, but even the most die hard blue will admit it was a shock result.
    wishfull thinking on you're behalf there,it's obvious you have never saw linfield play? the blues have proved they are as good as any eircom league side,and i was suprised it was so easy against shelbourne deff wasen't suprised we won,although fair enough we are playing other "part time teams" every week but the likes of longford,dublin city,shamrock rovers etc arn't really any better than coleraine are portadown?.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman1886
    wishfull thinking on you're behalf there,it's obvious you have never saw linfield play? the blues have proved they are as good as any eircom league side,and i was suprised it was so easy against shelbourne deff wasen't suprised we won,although fair enough we are playing other "part time teams" every week but the likes of longford,dublin city,shamrock rovers etc arn't really any better than coleraine are portadown?.
    But the likes of Longford, Dublin City and Shamrock Rovers are neither full-time, nor anywhere near the better teams in our league. Portadown are 2nd ffs ! Coleraine would usually be in the Top 4 had they not imploded over the last 2 years. Dublin City are a joke club, Rovers have been in free-fall for the last few years, and Longford have gone about as far as they're ever likely to go, and are now on the slides.

Try comparing like for like - Portadown/Dungannon/Glens/Linfield with Cork/Derry/Shels and Drogs. I really feel that this year's Setanta will put the Irish League firmly in its place. Time will tell...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve
    But the likes of Longford, Dublin City and Shamrock Rovers are neither full-time, nor anywhere near the better teams in our league. Portadown are 2nd ffs ! Coleraine would usually be in the Top 4 had they not imploded over the last 2 years. Dublin City are a joke club, Rovers have been in free-fall for the last few years, and Longford have gone about as far as they're ever likely to go, and are now on the slides.

Try comparing like for like - Portadown/Dungannon/Glens/Linfield with Cork/Derry/Shels and Drogs. I really feel that this year's Setanta will put the Irish League firmly in its place. Time will tell...
    Well that guy said that the blues are playing other part time teams each week,i just pointed out the fact that so where the 'Big' teams in the eircom leaguemabey you're league aint as good as you think it is? but as you say, time will tell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueman1886
    Well that guy said that the blues are playing other part time teams each week,i just pointed out the fact that so where the 'Big' teams in the eircom leaguemabey you're league aint as good as you think it is? but as you say, time will tell.
    We play a mixture of part-time and non-part time teams. Drogs, Cork, Shels, Bohs have majority/a lot of pros on their books. Some other clubs have one or two.

Dublin City ?? They weren't even in the same division last year, so I don't know where you got them from ! I may as well bring in Ballinamallard United....