Thread: Richardson predicts bright future for Irish clubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Richardson predicts bright future for Irish clubs

30/09/2005 - 08:29:57

Cork boss Damien Richardson feels his side’s European exploits proved that the League of Ireland can become “something of consequence”.

Richardson believes his club have put themselves on the map despite a 4-1 aggregate defeat to Slavia Prague in the UEFA Cup first round.

The eircom League leaders were 2-0 down from the first leg in the Czech Republic and were trailing by the same margin again until George O’Callaghan’s 66th-minute penalty gave the crowd at Turners Cross something to cheer.

City manager Richardson believes there are plenty more reasons to be cheerful, however.

He said: “We pushed them as far as anyone has this season and they probably deserve to be in the group stages on this form. It just goes to show you the progress that our league, the eircom League has made in the last 10 or 11 years.

“I think now clubs like Shelbourne, Derry City and ourselves must learn lessons from this and push on again next year and show a united front.

“This UEFA Cup campaign was my number one priority for as long as it lasted. I feel this league needs the publicity and the attention that European club football brings with it.

“We need the pressure, the style and the sophistication and the intelligence of the opposition teams to teach us really.

“League of Ireland football stands poised now and I believe that if everyone gets together and we get help from the official bodies and the Government, I think we can go on and make this league something of consequence.

“I repeat again - Cork City are now a club of consequence and we stand on the verge of something big and it is up to us to push it to the next stage.”

He added: “We now have a squad of great honesty and bravery. We have a very good team and we will start to attract big name players now.

“Slavia imposed themselves on the match and they again bordered on being cynical. They crowded around the referee, they took advantage of situations and they listened to the game.

“The way the game talks, they were able to react to that very, very well and you have to do that in European football.”

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Can't argue with much of that. Cork were beaten by a better team, and the most important thing is that they learn from it.
    ONE CITY, ONE TEAM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap
    30/09/2005 - 08:29:57

Cork boss Damien Richardson feels his side’s European exploits proved that the League of Ireland can become “something of consequence”.

Richardson believes his club have put themselves on the map despite a 4-1 aggregate defeat to Slavia Prague in the UEFA Cup first round.

The eircom League leaders were 2-0 down from the first leg in the Czech Republic and were trailing by the same margin again until George O’Callaghan’s 66th-minute penalty gave the crowd at Turners Cross something to cheer.

City manager Richardson believes there are plenty more reasons to be cheerful, however.

He said: “We pushed them as far as anyone has this season and they probably deserve to be in the group stages on this form. It just goes to show you the progress that our league, the eircom League has made in the last 10 or 11 years.

“I think now clubs like Shelbourne, Derry City and ourselves must learn lessons from this and push on again next year and show a united front.

“This UEFA Cup campaign was my number one priority for as long as it lasted. I feel this league needs the publicity and the attention that European club football brings with it.

“We need the pressure, the style and the sophistication and the intelligence of the opposition teams to teach us really.

“League of Ireland football stands poised now and I believe that if everyone gets together and we get help from the official bodies and the Government, I think we can go on and make this league something of consequence.

“I repeat again - Cork City are now a club of consequence and we stand on the verge of something big and it is up to us to push it to the next stage.”

He added: “We now have a squad of great honesty and bravery. We have a very good team and we will start to attract big name players now.

“Slavia imposed themselves on the match and they again bordered on being cynical. They crowded around the referee, they took advantage of situations and they listened to the game.

“The way the game talks, they were able to react to that very, very well and you have to do that in European football.”
    Couldnt argue with that .Ricos Rebal army