Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Is Clinton Morrission a mercenary?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 61.54%
  • No

9 34.62%
  • How should I know

1 3.85%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clinton Morrisson

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by The Legend
    "Rory Delap and Kevin Kilbane turned down the chance to play for England"

Ha ha ha

Like they would be in the England squad, they are barely in the irish squad!
    They were both asked to join English underage squads at one time or another which they turned down on the basis that they wanted to play for Ireland.
    Oh no not them again

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Djorkaeff was born in France- his parents are Polish and Armenian if my memory serves me right.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Scum

Originally posted by SÓCcfc
    Originally posted by GWA
    What about our president. Born and bred in the North. Never paid a penny tax in the Republic. Is she scum?
    Irrelevant, she is an Irish Citizen, she always was and always wanted to be, she didn't wait around and hope she'd become queen and after a while realize that she had no chance so ran for Áras.
    Firstly, I agree with everything SOCcfc said and secondly. Whatever some people may think, the north IS Irish- isn't the name of the "country" northern IRELAND for gods sake! Legally, anyone born in the north is entitled to citizenship of the Republic, pending the re-integration of those counties into the control of the national government- so no point there AT ALL.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Michael Owen

Just to set the record straight, some people are claiming that Michael Owen was born in Wales. He wasn't, he was born in Chester which is in England.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Michael Owen

Originally posted by MikeW
    Chester which is in England.
    JUST ABOUT

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Wink

I accept Morrission is part of the irish squad now & if i was picking the squad would also include him. This does not change the fact hes a mercenary.

I however cannot warm to him given the comments he made before he made up his mind about which country to "choose".

Players in the past may also have thought like Morrission but at least they had the sense to keep it to themselves.

Also I cannot understand the excessive hype over Morrission. Can anyone explain to me why he gets a bigger cheer than virtually any other players at Lansdowne road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by pete
    Also I cannot understand the excessive hype over Morrission. Can anyone explain to me why he gets a bigger cheer than virtually any other players at Lansdowne road.
    He gets a good cheer because it's usually a choice between him and Connolly. Who would you rather have on the field of play?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by pete

They probably think he's Paul McGrath for a split second
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What the hell is going on here? Clinton Morrison is Irish. He is no more a mercenery that any other player in the Ireland team. And given the credentials of Cascarino and Aldridge, he's more right to and Irish passport.

This ******** about being less Irish and waiting for the call from England is ****e.

Yes I'm a Palace supporter, and Clinton deserves his place. I hope he scores in Japan.

Below is an excerpt from an interview with Tom Humphries, should help clear up some arguments about the boy from Garristown - or is that not good enough for those bitter boys from the Lee?...

Clinton Morrison has a different story. In fact he has a different name. He was raised as Clinton Chambers, son of a Jamaican Dad, but when he was 15 he changed his surname to Morrison in deference to his Mum, Angela and his Nan, Mary Morrison of Dundalk, via Garristown in north Dublin. He doesn't lay it on too thick but the Irish thing was always there.

"My Nan she moved to England when she was about 40 and she lived here ever since. I knew from when I was small I could play for Ireland. When I came to Palace when I was 16 I talked to Ian Evans about playing for the Irish under-21s some day but I don't think he believed I had any real Irish in me. Nobody believed I had Irish in me. I was only in Ireland once. I went down to the boats, done fishing somewhere near Garristown. I was about eight or nine. Just the once, we went."

He grew up in Tooting. Not poor, he says and not well off. Sometimes, not often, they went to his Nan's house and listened to Irish music. Not with any great reverence but he and his sister, Ciara, were always aware. Clinton knew too that the box next to the word footballer was the only one he would be ticking when it came to careers class. His mother recognised early that her son's best chance probably lay down that road, doing what he was best at.

"She did everything for me, my Mum. Everything. She kept me in school when I didn't want no lessons, she brought me to games, she kept my chin up. I don't think I would have turned bad, doing crimes and that. It's not me, not the way I am, but in the same way I don't know what would have happened. There was a lot of crime going on. I was with Spurs and they let me go when I was 16 and that was the end of the world for me because I supported them when I was small but she kept me at it, made me go to trials. I went to Palace and scored a hat-trick and Peter Nicholas signed me the next day."

And since then it's been the yellow brick road. Any time he's played against Spurs at any level since he's scored. He made his Palace debut late in the season against Sheffield Wednesday in 1998 and reckons that every year he's added something to his game. Now he is an Irishman. Says he feels it. Comes to Ireland every break he gets. Visits family. Chills. His Mother comes to every game. His Nan came to the Cyprus match. Sweet times.

"It was 100 per cent the right decision. I wanted to do it when I was younger. Most of my family were telling me to play for Ireland, my Nan and my Mum specially. They thought it was best."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I was in Switzerland 2 summers ago, only once though, ..maybe i could play for switzerland..
    i mean i love swiss cheese and tobelerone, and i have a watch that i think is very useful.. also i like the swiss people..

(just keep the swiss music away from me.. 1 night in jaggers was bad enough)
    Last edited by James; 15/05/2002 at 9:24 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Red face

Originally posted by James
    No good so James, you not Swiss then.

Gypsy....(Crystal) Palace........?

Clearly its all a conspiracy...Morrission never told Eriksson ".....come & get me" & never said he was holding out for an england call up.

Strange how none of these "...come & get me Mick stories came out before he got called up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by James
    I was in Switzerland 2 summers ago, only once though, ..maybe i could play for switzerland..
    i mean i love swiss cheese and tobelerone, and i have a watch that i think is very useful.. also i like the swiss people..

With a reply like this, God I'm glad I have nothing to do with Cork. It's simply just not worth replying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

FAO upsidedowngypsey

read what pete said.. how irish is morrison if he issues a come a get me message to the engerland manager..

he's a mercenary..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12