Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAI interest in Martin O' Neill

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FAI interest in Martin O' Neill

I've just heard on Newstalk that the FAI have announced that if Brian Kerr doesn't qualify ireland for the World Cup they will approach Martin O' Neill. I am livid about this. Just when we have the two most important games coming up, the FAI show that they have no confidence in Kerr. I can't believe the stupidity of this move, if there is a wrong thing to do the FAI will do it......Let me see.... how can we make an already difficult situation even more difficult........Mmmm...I know!!. What do they think this will achieve? I hope I'm not jumping the gun here, there's nothing on the FAI wesbsite.

It's one thing if they have made this known to Kerr privately (I doubted, as this would be a form of communication), its another making it known publicly.

BTW: I have the faith that Brian Kerr will qualify us for WC & Losing to France was no disgrace.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tram_14
    I've just heard on Newstalk that the FAI have announced that if Brian Kerr doesn't qualify ireland for the World Cup they will approach Martin O' Neill. I am livid about this. Just when we have the two most important games coming up, the FAI show that they have no confidence in Kerr. I can't believe the stupidity of this move, if there is a wrong thing to do the FAI will do it......Let me see.... how can we make an already difficult situation even more difficult........Mmmm...I know!!. What do they think this will achieve? I hope I'm not jumping the gun here, there's nothing on the FAI wesbsite.

It's one thing if they have made this known to Kerr privately (I doubted, as this would be a form of communication), its another making it known publicly.

BTW: I have the faith that Brian Kerr will qualify us for WC & Losing to France was no disgrace.
    That would be the most absolutely mindbogglingly brainless thing they could do. What a shower of ****s. I hope it's not true. Incredibly unprofessional (but what did we expect). Kerr, in my opinion, is a good manager who has made a few mistakes - nothing that dramatic or apocalyptic - has done better than McCarthy in his first campaign and a bit, and they gave him plenty of on-the-job experience. Ireland can still qualify - even top the group - and the focus should be on providing for Kerr and his team, not weighing up future prospects should we not make it this time round.

Hope it's untrue - it would be incredibly unfair on Kerr. Not to mention the detrimental effect it might have on the squad if he is shunted out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    That cannot be true. It's disgraceful if it is. I sincerely doubt they mention they have someone specific in mind. But it is the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    This can't be true.
    Even the FAI wouldn't be so stupid as to announce that.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Very suprised myself, was 11.00am sports news on newstalk 106, my jaw dropped, they are normally quite reliable.. will check 1.00 news.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nothing on 1.00 news this time, they DID say it at 11.00 though, bloody medja, Newstalk is turning into the Evening Herald?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    The Sun broke the story in todays paper, so it is obviously not true!
    UCD sha-la-la

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The reliability of Newstalk is getting worse by the day. The station used to be much better without the big name personalities & now they gagging for a National licence are pandering to the lowest common denominator.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Say it aint so....not even the FAI could be so stupid, actually on second thoughs??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Word around Windsor Park last saturday before Northern Ireland v Azerbaijan was that if they lost Sanchez was gone and O'Neill would be installed. Lawrie probably has a job for life now.

It may well be true in this case too but I'd be staggered if the F.A.I. actually announced anything.

Now I think it would be prudent of the f.A.i. to check if O'Neill was available. He is a top class manager and I imagine International management would suit him given his personal circumstances.

It would be harsh to sack Kerr at this stage and a playoff spot would probably be enough to save his job

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Wasn't Delaney one of the ones that wanted a "big name" brit manager? IIRC he was, so wouldn't be that surprised if he's trying to screw Kerr over at all given his hate for anything eL....

On Newstalk, the News elements have gone down hill since Kiberd became news editor. Maybe a thread on Off Topic if anyone's that arsed...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Wasn't Delaney one of the ones that wanted a "big name" brit manager?
    Bryan Robson was his choice, I believe.

Would O'Neill take the Ireland job? Could we afford him?

Utterly daft if they're leaking stuff at this stage - whatever you think of Kerr, he deserves to see the campaign out at the very least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    O'Neill is from Derry of the nationalist variety with a bit of a GAA background. If his personal circumstances permitted I'm sure he'd be delighted. I wouldn't want to get into that here though. The notion that they did this is disgusting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    on the 8:30am bulletin this morning on Newstalk all it said was that the FAI confirmed that Kerr's current contract only covered the 2006 WC and would neither confirm or deny that they would be looking for a new manager if we failed to qualify. Martin O' Neill's name was mentioned by the presenter as a possible new manager if Kerr got the bullet because the part time nature of the job might appeal to him given that he wants to spend time looking after his wife. I didn't hear the 11:00am bulletin.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Wouldnt believe a word of it, total media crap.
    We should all be behind Kerr not thinking of replacing him, there is no guarantee O'Neill would want the job anyway.
    We gave McCarthy three and a bit campaigns in charge, Kerr hasnt even being there for one full campaign, I think he deserves alot more time.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thats not what they said at 11, they said that The FAI WOULD approach Martin O' Neill if Brian did not quality for the WC which is very differant to what they said earlier this morning. Newstalk have rightly slagged off the Evening Herald for poor journalism in the past, but that was a big slip up from them & it is obviously sh!te.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    its what you might call "speculation" news

but it was presented in a very leading way by newstalk - very poor form and obviously an editorial decision that they now want Martin O Neill

fck them - simple facts are ireland dont have any players worthy of gracing a major tournament - we're sh.t - no depth at all

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Getting away from the rights and wrongs.
    If Kerr doesn't get a new contract I think O'Neill is certainly the man for the job.
    The fact that we don't have a great pool of players to work from at the moment, and 2 of the best, Keane and Cunningham coming to the end of the road, then surely the man who took a mediocre Scottish League team to the Final of the UEFA Cup would get the best out of what limited resources we have.

Here's hoping we get to Germany and it doesn't come down to that though

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I genuinely think we do have the team for a world cup, lets see how Morrision progresses & hopefully robbie will start getting more action if doesn't he has to change at christmas, Elliot's beginning to get his game at Sunderland. But it's true about Kilbane I think unfortunately he's had his day, but the midfield can be rebuilt around Andy Reid, Duff & Steven Reid & possibly O' Shea (For god sake JOS has to come good at some point!!). Look, if we fail to beat the Swiss at home then you are right we won't deserve to go. I really believe we will get a play off place for lots of reasons.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Dotsy. That sounds close enough to what would be reported compared to FAI chase after MON. The FAI stance has been reported accurately before, neither confirm nor deny.
    Mentioning MON is disingenuous, a tantalizer, to cloud over the inappropriateness of even discussing the matter at this stage - where there are 2 games left and there is still a reasonable chance of play offs, compared to the last Q group when it was very slim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast