Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Weekend Feb 16th/17th Feb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    No need to watch the dive, just take my word on it! Genuinely I wouldnt call it a dive under the circumstances buuuttt it was. I dont like a player being injured especially when in serious distress from pain - I can empathise personally and at work when you see how gutted Sunday league players are after an injury, when its your living then its just pure wrong to take any sort of satisfaction. It is ironic that a player injures themselves while feigning or exaggerating a foul. I'd be first to admit that we got away with things with a ref and Id be straight on to comlain about a bad decision that effected the result (just niggle stuff is par for the course in a contact sport).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Deserves all the abuse but then "maybe not" all the abuse? Might want to practice that story in the mirror once or twice more lad.

@Nesta, I'll get back to you after a forensic analysis of loitv. Felt very one sided first half but that's from the stand. I might also never watch that game again though, it's pretty painful watching clips of Farrugia getting injured....don't be too disappointed if so. I'm sure we will have more to debate. Week one baby! We are live.

Why? Was it difficult to understand? Have I created a new construct for the english language?

Only Sith deal in absolutes, I've added a caveat to an absolute. As personally jeering an opponent being stretchered off is reservered for when he's crocked himself while attempting or succeding to clean one of my team's players.

This delicious schadenfreude, which I no doubt will come to regret, is a bit of a gray area on the booing front.

But hey at least we're not disputing the lad being a feckin tool.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A N Mouse View Post
    Why? Was it difficult to understand? Have I created a new construct for the english language?

Only Sith deal in absolutes, I've added a caveat to an absolute. As personally jeering an opponent being stretchered off is reservered for when he's crocked himself while attempting or succeding to clean one of my team's players.

This delicious schadenfreude, which I no doubt will come to regret, is a bit of a gray area on the booing front.

But hey at least we're not disputing the lad being a feckin tool.
    Switch to the 0.0s lad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Having not seen the Derry v Drogheda game, if Derry were bailed out a bit by the Hoban goal, well its a bit like last season for the Drogs. They left a lot of points behind last season where they deserved more, this season they need to make good opportunities count. Maybe as p/t they run out of steam in the last 10 or 15 minutes....
    They didn't run out of steam, no, and I was impressed enough with Drogheda last night. We rode our luck a little bit, but delighted with a win against a team we have often struggled against.
    Drogs had the best chance of the first half, with Maher stopped a certain goal. Lovely strike by Boyce for the first goal, then Maher pulling off a penalty save shortly after.
    Hoban with a rebound goal, the sort we haven't been scoring much of recent years. Kevin Doherty mentioned a possible handball in the build-up to it, but didn't notice anything myself.

That was the sort of game we'd have drawn last year, so here's hoping we can keep turning draws to wins this year.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Great comeback for us in Longford,disastrous opening 20 minutes but did really well after that,Success Edogan looks a cracking addition,goal and assist and a handful in general,good to be back,eventually!!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    He looks a cracking player. A right handful.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    https://x.com/ianryan95/status/1758983100560703818?s=46

Our winner looks a good 2/3 yards offside so I’d like to congratulate the linesman on a fine performance!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Looking forward to watching Longford vs Harps later. More teams should consider staggering there games over the weekend..
    Preferably the star game of the weekend would have a standalone kickoff time, even if on LOITV only. Establishing a standalone kickoff time should be an investment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    https://x.com/ianryan95/status/1758983100560703818?s=46

Our winner looks a good 2/3 yards offside so I’d like to congratulate the linesman on a fine performance!
    He was well onside. Elworthy, at right back, is out of shot in that. He played him onside, about 3 or 4 yards behind the rest of his defence.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    He was well onside. Elworthy, at right back, is out of shot in that. He played him onside, about 3 or 4 yards behind the rest of his defence.
    Ah here Nigel, you're not implying a Longford fan would be looking for excuses and a scapegoat, instead of looking at his own teams faults?
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Ah here Nigel, you're not implying a Longford fan would be looking for excuses and a scapegoat, instead of looking at his own teams faults?
    I think most longford fans accept it was probably the right result regardless. We were stink after the opening 20.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post

I think that is one of your own who said they thought it looked offside!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Nice win for City in front of a very impressive crowd. Not sure what to make of our performance. We looked decent but didn't exactly dominate, even if Kerry didn't have much going forward.
    The biggest positives were obviously two goals for Jack Doherty as well as very good performances by a handful of teenagers including 16 year old Cathal O'Sullivan who would have been man of the match if not for Dohertys goals, and 15 year old Jaden Umeh off the bench who nearly scored a spectacular goal.
    Harps next week will likely be a better test.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Farrugia and Clarke gone in one night. Probably as bad a night at the office as it could have been. Puts to bed any claims that the league is already over anyway. We are very limited without those two. Not having Clarke, Byrne, McEneff, Pico, Grace and Towell ready to start the season will hurt us early doors.
    The two players who were most influential for us last season, bar Gaffney I'd say.

Overall very uninspiring. Starting XI quite weak compared to best XI. Very tippy tappy sideways football (dare I say Rodgers-eque?) until Watts came on and showed some appetite and leadership. I thought the second half v Pats showed a change in how Bradley's team was trying to play, high-octane pressing and working the ball forward well but no, we reverted to the worst of previous seasons' "possession football by numbers". And for years under Bradley we have been vulnerable in transition which made it frustrating that the free kick (great strike) came from a stupid and really careless loss of possession in midfield (was it O'Neill?).

That was what annoyed me most: two obvious flaws evident in previous seasons don't seem to have gone away.

Burns looked good early but faded away I think.

Fair result overall as both teams can say they had matchwinning chances.

Only other gripe is that Dundalk's new keeper should have been booked in first half. Once he learnt to stay on his feet and keep the ball in play his kicking was good though!
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 19/02/2024 at 1:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    The two players who were most influential for us last season, bar Gaffney I'd say.

Overall very uninspiring. Starting XI quite weak compared to best XI. Very tippy tappy sideways football (dare I say Rodgers-eque?) until Watts came on and showed some appetite and leadership. I thought the second half v Pats showed a change in how Bradley's team was trying to play, high-octane pressing and working the ball forward well but no, we reverted to the worst of previous seasons' "possession football by numbers". And for years under Bradley we have been vulnerable in transition which made it frustrating that the free kick (great strike) came from a stupid and really careless loss of possession in midfield (was it O'Neill?).

That was what annoyed me most: two obvious flaws evident in previous seasons don't seem to have gone away.

Burns looked good early but faded away I think.

Fair result overall as both teams can say they had matchwinning chances.

Only other gripe is that Dundalk's new keeper should have been booked in first half. Once he learnt to stay on his feet and keep the ball in play his kicking was good though!
    Speaking of the new keeper (Shelvey), that was a terrible challenge by Darragh Burns on him to warrant a yellow in the second half.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    It looked wild in real time alright.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I can’t emphasise enough just how horrendous the pitch in Eamonn Deacy Park was on Friday but the below stat from Andrew Cunneen on Twitter sums it up pretty well. I lost count of the amount of times a high ball would stop dead in the mud when it landed, or the ball bobbled up when a player was dribbling. Easily the worst pitch I’ve seen in the premier division in a good few years

There were 332 completed passes in Galway on Friday night. No game in the entirety of last year had fewer than 350. Conditions were appalling.
    Last edited by 2 Year Contract; 19/02/2024 at 5:48 PM.
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    I can’t emphasise enough just how horrendous the pitch in Eamonn Deacy Park was on Friday but the below stat from Andrew Cunneen on Twitter sums it up pretty well. I lost count of the amount of times a high ball would stop dead in the mud when it landed, or the ball bobbled up when a player was dribbling. Easily the worst pitch I’ve seen in the premier division in a good few years
    That'd have Caulfield drooling. Will he manage not to comment on the Oriel Park pitch this week?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    That'd have Caulfield drooling. Will he manage not to comment on the Oriel Park pitch this week?
    Himself and Ollie would have loved every second of a crap pitch.

I remember end of the 2020 season, we played Shamrock Rovers on a Monday night (I think) in Finn Park. The rain was absolutely relentless for the entire day, fixture schedules were already packed, and so the game had to be played. 7 or 8 of us were scraping water off the pitch any way we could, just so the game would go ahead, until the referees landed onto the pitch about an hour before kickoff and told us no matter what, the game was going ahead, orders from the FAI. Ollie and Paul Hegarty ordered us off the pitch immediately, with screams of "leave it as it is". It was some of the worst conditions I'd ever seen a match played in.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678