Page 41 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Season, Arrivals and Departures

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I think the expectation of Towell from fans (and probably himself) was that he would have the impact returning to the league that he had first time with Dundalk. That was the bar and anything else, no matter how good, was going to cause some grumbling. The league changed as had the player. I dont think Towell was ever a tidy player, could be sloppy, but he had both O'Donnell roaring at him and he he had the tenacity and physicality to work after a sloppy ball. You'd hear him being instructed at times at Dundalk to play it safe, probably give it to a real baller and delay those runs in to the box. Put him beside Byrne and he'd have looked like an Offaly hurler, he'd a big hole to fill in midfield when he arrived and he did try to hard and looked too often caught out of position, was poorly timing his runs. When he reverted to being a spoiler, getting around to put himself in the way, which is what Rovers needed when they werent playing well, he showed his value again imo.

If its anything of a guage, I was obviously very disappointed if unsurprised considering the messing at Oriel, that he didnt sign back. After a while that disappointment had ebbed away. He would have had a bigger impact returning to Dudalk than Rovers in relative terms but I dont think he'd have been the game changer that we needed or that we'd have expected. The context being the Mad Bill era, and that his roll with the leading side in the country wouldnt stand out as much. When he settled in to the side and accepted rotation he was arguably worth his wage in title winning squad. Id have him in a heartbeat now again!!!
    Hard to disagree with that. I think he's been worth it, particularly when you take into account the market our league is in for players. It's slim pickings for quality. That said, I could see how two cheaper up-and-comers might have played a similar role for the same wedge. He seems to fit in well with the group though and that's been important.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Marc Ludden retires.

David Tarmey joins Treaty on loan from Galway United.

Stephen Healy and Daire McCarthy join Kerry on loan from Galway United, I think. Kerry said that McCarthy was on loan but Galway just said that he'd be training with Galway as well we Kerry?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Very fair assessment Nesta but, just for context, Towell's second LOI coming has seen him win 3 League medals.
    I'm sure he values them all, but the type of chap he is 25 goals from midfiled in a season will be his bar, exceptional by any player, league or era standards. He's a former Dundalk player and legend, current SRFC player and so I hope he doesnt have another 20+ goals season in him!

*just had a look there and his stats really are remarkable, all the more when people will look back too. 43 goals in 96 appearances for Dundalk (2 league winner medals, FAI and League Cup), 9 in 71 for Rovers (different role, bigger squad, etc) 3 league winners medals and at 32 could be more in the tank (ugh!).
    Last edited by Nesta99; 08/01/2024 at 4:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Lecce signed UCD left-back Jesse Dempsey.
    I wonder what Trapattoni thinks of these LoI signings by Italian clubs...

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    If he's anything like me, he's thinking "What the **** are Lecce doing signing Jesse Dempsey?"

I don't understand those sort of deals tbh. John Ryan to Sassuolo in 2022 as well. Unless it's filling numbers in their squad or something

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    If he's anything like me, he's thinking "What the **** are Lecce doing signing Jesse Dempsey?"

I don't understand those sort of deals tbh. John Ryan to Sassuolo in 2022 as well. Unless it's filling numbers in their squad or something
    Agent in common?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts
    Athlone have announced the signing of Peter McGregor from… Jamaica! That brings their squad up to 9 players as per their post, meaning the friendly against Pats on Saturday will likely be a very proud day indeed for the infamous Trialist family
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Agent in common?
    "Remember me? I'm the guy who brought John Ryan to Serie A. Well now I've got the new LoI wunderkind!"

He must haves phenomenal sales patter if so.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Marc Ludden retires.

David Tarmey joins Treaty on loan from Galway United.

Stephen Healy and Daire McCarthy join Kerry on loan from Galway United, I think. Kerry said that McCarthy was on loan but Galway just said that he'd be training with Galway as well we Kerry?
    How would that even work in theory, never mind in practice - he'd be in Kerry one night per week, then in Galway, before travelling to Tralee/away venue for match day? The biggest concern is that at least Kavanagh and Spain were playing regularly in the First Division last season, whereas these two lads will only have a maximum of two Munster Senior Cup ties and the Galway friendly to get up to speed.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    "Remember me? I'm the guy who brought John Ryan to Serie A. Well now I've got the new LoI wunderkind!"

He must haves phenomenal sales patter if so.
    Made me laugh.

They get these lads for nothing I suppose. See a few underage caps, maybe come across them in some tournament or other and they look useful. Take a swing and see what happens.

Ryan is with Reading now and playing for their 21s? Still playing at least.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    How would that even work in theory, never mind in practice - he'd be in Kerry one night per week, then in Galway, before travelling to Tralee/away venue for match day? The biggest concern is that at least Kavanagh and Spain were playing regularly in the First Division last season, whereas these two lads will only have a maximum of two Munster Senior Cup ties and the Galway friendly to get up to speed.
    Could be worse, it could be like the time John O'Flynn played with Harps! Think he just turned up on matchday.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Could be worse, it could be like the time John O'Flynn played with Harps! Think he just turned up on matchday.
    forgot that JOF played for Harps what season was that?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Made me laugh.

They get these lads for nothing I suppose. See a few underage caps, maybe come across them in some tournament or other and they look useful. Take a swing and see what happens.

Ryan is with Reading now and playing for their 21s? Still playing at least.
    I know there's a birth rate crisis in Italy but they're hardly that stuck for young players are they?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    I still wouldn't rule it out going ahead, but reports are that the Hoban to Derry deal has stalled due to DFC increasing the transfer value over the weekend.

Bad timing for Derry if this is correct as McGonigle joined Coleraine and for a club looking to win the league they are light up front, but they have the budget to get him if they want or another striker.

Interesting to see what becomes of it, whatever his next move I don't see him staying put with Dundalk.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    The lads are going to College in Galway so it suits them to train with gufc full time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    You'd assume this is just until they are finished exams in what I assume would be early May.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    I know there's a birth rate crisis in Italy but they're hardly that stuck for young players are they?
    Maybe we're just cool?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I still wouldn't rule it out going ahead, but reports are that the Hoban to Derry deal has stalled due to DFC increasing the transfer value over the weekend.

Bad timing for Derry if this is correct as McGonigle joined Coleraine and for a club looking to win the league they are light up front, but they have the budget to get him if they want or another striker.

Interesting to see what becomes of it, whatever his next move I don't see him staying put with Dundalk.
    I'd love to know how much Dundalk are demanding for a player they told was surplus to requirements and to go find a new club a few months ago

Derry should be mindful that Hoban will be turning 33 this season not many strikers in recent LOI history have held up the goal tallies at that age range, he will be looking for a minimum of a 2 year contract and based on past two seasons he will be struggling to start anywhere near 36 league games plus if Derry have any deep runs in Europe and FAI Cups
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Well LoI is the place to be after all!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    I'd love to know how much Dundalk are demanding for a player they told was surplus to requirements and to go find a new club a few months ago

Derry should be mindful that Hoban will be turning 33 this season not many strikers in recent LOI history have held up the goal tallies at that age range, he will be looking for a minimum of a 2 year contract and based on past two seasons he will be struggling to start anywhere near 36 league games plus if Derry have any deep runs in Europe and FAI Cups
    The old owners may have told him he was free to leave. The new owner has stated he was going to be a Dundalk player as he has a year left on his contract
    It's pretty obvious the new owner has said he will be getting as much money as he think he's worth and if not he's a Dundalk player

Hoban played 34 league games last season, 25 the year before so that means he missed 13 league games in 2 years (2 last year) Hardly a man that's always injured

Page 41 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast