Thread: Next Senior Men's Team Manager - Runners and Riders

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Chris Wilder set to return to Sheff U.

They were incredibly well coached in their first season back in the EPL a few years ago. They had a really clear way of playing, the way they hunted in packs without the ball in particulat stood out. He's a candidate I'd have considered. Not your typical north of England club manager.
    No flat cap ! (wink)

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Big Sam has bought himself a ticket I see on the Second Captains podcast with a promise to make a passing delusion of our temporary passing delusion affliction & he clearly knows ( some ) of his audience.

Quote Originally Posted by LargeSamuel View Post
    Whoever they choose is a big decision for them, of course. They have failed a bit recently in the last few seasons to say the least. I don't know whether that's the manager, or a combination of the manager and the team...

I've always been pragmatic in terms of how good are the players and we will suit a system or style for those players and play to their strengths, and try and cover their weaknesses when all is said and done.

If you're playing a team that is so much better than you, it will be about limited possession you've got and how good is the defending to try and get the ability to score a goal and win a game of football.

I play winning football, that's what I play.

https://www.balls.ie/football/sam-al...and-job-580842
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    The leopard isn't going to change his spots. If he's interested, I doubt we can afford not to consider him. I'm no fan of his, but he was good enough for England a few pints of wine ago, and we're not exactly offering Trapattoni money these days.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    868 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    The leopard isn't going to change his spots. If he's interested, I doubt we can afford not to consider him. I'm no fan of his, but he was good enough for England a few pints of wine ago, and we're not exactly offering Trapattoni money these days.
    Hes now in a position where 500K a year for a retirement part time gig would be grand for him Im sure.... but please Jebus no!
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    565 Posts
    don't think we can afford big Sam, even if we wanted him. he got paid more working 25 days last season (€23,280 per day) for leeds than Stephen Kenny got in a year (€1,479 per day). And had Big Sam been able to keep them up, he would have got an additional £3m on top.

He was getting £6m a year as Everton boss - and ended up being paid £9m for 6 months work.

Obviously the limit of about 50 days of work with players per year, as opposed to about 300 would suit him - he's mentioned in the past that he'd like an international job due to the lighter work load - but I imagine he's pretty content to be a well paid fire-fighter every second season. So I'd say he'd be looking for at least €2.5m a year across 2 campaigns, plus an additional €5m if he qualifies us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Big Sam: "I've always been pragmatic in terms of how good are the players and we will suit a system or style for those players and play to their strengths, and try and cover their weaknesses"

I'm not making any comment on his suitability or otherwise for the ROI job, but in respect of the above, it is often overlooked that when SA was flying high with Bolton, including finishing 6th in the PL and qualifying them for Europe etc, he signed players like Fredi Bobic, Youri Djorkaeff, Jay-Jay Okocha, El Hadji Diouf and Nicolas Anelka - hardly Route One cloggers they.

Of course, these were signed with money which Bolton probably couldn't afford and when Chairman Phil Gartside got cold feet over SA's spending demands (SA was talking about qualifying for the Champions League!), there was only going to be one outcome.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    786 Posts
    Tony Mowbray anyone? No idea if he'd be interested but he's a very decent manager and man in my view.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    So we have Lennon, Bruce & now Allardyce going public on the role, after nobody did early on. I think Kenny was dead man walking for so long, June in Athens at the very latest, there was an assumption this job was already filled maybe. Maybe after having a few ear to the ground chats they now don't think it is.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Big Sam: "I've always been pragmatic in terms of how good are the players and we will suit a system or style for those players and play to their strengths, and try and cover their weaknesses"

I'm not making any comment on his suitability or otherwise for the ROI job, but in respect of the above, it is often overlooked that when SA was flying high with Bolton, including finishing 6th in the PL and qualifying them for Europe etc, he signed players like Fredi Bobic, Youri Djorkaeff, Jay-Jay Okocha, El Hadji Diouf and Nicolas Anelka - hardly Route One cloggers they.

Of course, these were signed with money which Bolton probably couldn't afford and when Chairman Phil Gartside got cold feet over SA's spending demands (SA was talking about qualifying for the Champions League!), there was only going to be one outcome.
    Quite a few of the players he brought in were on free transfers since they were out of contract, which meant the money saved from the transfer fee went on their wages.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Does Big Sam know that John Delaney isn't the head of the FAI anymore. Was probably hoping to have a chinwag with JD about their fondness for brown envelopes.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    I wouldn't be totally opposed to sam. It could work.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    Allarydce has worked 30 days in the last 2 years...I'm sure he's aware his days of multi million pound gigs are behind him. I can't believe im coming round to the idea of big sam. WTF is going on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    It's not a romantic idea, but I think we have the personnel to really suit a pragmatic big sam system. Build to be solid at the back, counter-attack -- bypass our weak midfield, aim to get plenty of direct balls in to Ferguson. Essentially, play to the strengths we have.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Gary Rowett?

Last edited by tetsujin1979; 05/12/2023 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Embedded tweet

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Gary Rowett?

Don't know what I make of a name like that. Plenty Championship experience. Not sure of the style of play but can't remember anything remarkable from any of his club stints. Would I be wrong to conclude that he's a solid Championship manager that might do okay at international level and make us hard to beat, all the while having no Irish connection? I'm sure we could end up making a hire like that but it would be fairly underwhelming and the ticket office would be underwhelmed too.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Not too familiar with Rowett's work, but he's won more games than he's lost at every club he's managed, and been almost constantly employed over the last decade. Clearly some competence there.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    Mowbray?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    786 Posts
    Rowett's a capable manager, though not a big name. Would probably do a decent job. His only real managerial failure to date was at Stoke, every other team he's managed has performed well under him. I wouldn't worry about the ticket office, if we start winning games the doubters would come crawling back quickly enough.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    I can't believe im coming round to the idea of big sam. WTF is going on.
    He knew exactly how to pitch it didn't he, the snake oil salesman three card trickster that he is

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    568 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    He knew exactly how to pitch it didn't he, the snake oil salesman three card trickster that he is
    Maybe that's what we need

Page 21 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast