Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Well now. Does this mean the FAI have someone else lined up, or were they waffling about an appointment next month?

Are they praying O'Shea does a halfway decent job to cover for asking him to take it?

Or are the rumours true, and is Leo Varadkar taking the job?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

3. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Well now. Does this mean the FAI have someone else lined up, or were they waffling about an appointment next month?
    That's a fairly big thing to bull**** about, isn't it?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,637 Posts
    Can we spare a thought for Razor who will shortly wake up to this news!

I think it might actually point to Gus Poyet now to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,637 Posts
    Also... i wonder why it took Carsley until now to say something if it was dead in November (though he has chosen his words fairly carefully I'm sure). No matter what way I look at it, he doesn't come out of this looking particularly good. But then again, why didnt the FAI also rule him out? Its a weird one.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    give it sheasy!!!!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I've been thinking it's Poyet since they started talking about the new guy has contractual agreements to fulfill.

Poyet will leave Greece when their campaign ends - either next week or after the Euros.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    435 Posts
    Also... i wonder why it took Carsley until now to say something if it was dead in November (though he has chosen his words fairly carefully I'm sure). No matter what way I look at it, he doesn't come out of this looking particularly good. But then again, why didnt the FAI also rule him out? Its a weird one.
    Only reason he's went public now is because he's in front of the media because they've matches. If they had no matches I doubt he'd ever have went public.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    585 Posts
    Willy Sagnol the current favourite on PP.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    849 Posts
    Can we spare a thought for Razor who will shortly wake up to this news!

Absolutely sick Stu. If they roll out Poyet at this point I might puke.

Carsely saying he only had 1 informal meeting in november and it went no futher, why not rule yourself out properly then. His mate Kilbane was still writing that negotiations were happening until recently. Someone is lying.

The whole secrecy surrounding the appointment has become a joke. If they dont have a rabbit made of solid gold to pull out of a hat at this point heads need to roll.

What a way to start the day, in bad form before I even got out of fcuking bed!
    Its really not that complicated!!!

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I was told there was a major news item about to break in Irish media today and there it was on the RTÉ front webpage 'Carsley rules himself out....'

Is it reading too much into it that his reply to the initial FAI interview was that he'd consider the appointment,
    "There was a feeling that I would go and do a senior job after the summer but speaking to [FA technical director] John McDermott and other people, I’m committed to this campaign," said Carsley,

He might have been the coach to sort out a decent defensive midfield formation, even a 4231 on occasion. Now we can get back to moaning about that hapless hand ball against Turkey.
    Last edited by geysir; 20/03/2024 at 2:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Coming from the Star, this has to be taken with a lorry load of salt, but they're claiming that Southgate is being lined up by Man U to replace Erik Ten Hag:
    https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...usive-32389130

Aside from the obvious, I could see why this would tempt Southgate just now i.e. have a good Euro's and he could leave on a high; have a bad one and, well, he needn't care too much (though it would add even more pressure on him at OT).

Either way maybe Carsley now sees his route to the big job with England sooner than he expected?

(Btw I reserve the right to deny posting any of this if/when it should turn out to be nonsense )
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 20/03/2024 at 2:43 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    435 Posts
    Even if his chances of getting the England job are slim to none he's right to wait until the summer to see what's happening with Southgate post Euros rather than take the Ireland job. There's been talk since the WC that Southgate will be leaving post Euros.

Also maybe Carsley has no interest in being a senior manager. The lad has an excellent job that pays well and he lives close enough to St George's Park too that it's an easy commute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Coming from the Star, this has to be taken with a lorry load of salt, but they're claiming that Southgate is being lined up by Man U to replace Erik Ten Hag:
    https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...usive-32389130

Aside from the obvious, I could see why this would tempt Southgate just now i.e. have a good Euro's and he could leave on a high; have a bad one and, well, he needn't care too much (though it would add even more pressure on him at OT).

Either way maybe Carsley now sees his route to the big job with England sooner than he expected?

(Btw I reserve the right to deny posting any of this if/when it should turn out to be nonsense )
    That claim was disected on football365 earlier: https://www.football365.com/news/sou...ite-mediawatch
    Basically international break + man utd story = clicks.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    That claim was disected on football365 earlier: https://www.football365.com/news/sou...ite-mediawatch
    Basically international break + man utd story = clicks.
    What has Southgate done at club level to warrant even being a candidate for the Man Utd job ? !

Some would say that even what he has done with England, would not be enough to warrant him being a candidate for the Man Utd job ~ ~ Man Utd are in a mess and have been for a very long time ~ ~ I am not sure any manager can take them back to the top, without huge long term spending, and all the money you need for that and more ! !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    435 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    What has Southgate done at club level to warrant even being a candidate for the Man Utd job ? !

Some would say that even what he has done with England, would not be enough to warrant him being a candidate for the Man Utd job ~ ~ Man Utd are in a mess and have been for a very long time ~ ~ I am not sure any manager can take them back to the top, without huge long term spending, and all the money you need for that and more ! !
    He's only being linked because he's English. Brexit Jim has went on about signing more English talent for United and wanted to appoint Graham Potter at Nice. Chances are Potter might well be the next manager after Ten Hag.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I'm now more convinced than ever that it's Poyet. Though I will admit that the timing of his resignation does add some credence to NeverFeltBetter's Varadkar theory.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    He's only being linked because he's English. Brexit Jim has went on about signing more English talent for United and wanted to appoint Graham Potter at Nice. Chances are Potter might well be the next manager after Ten Hag.
    Potter's connection with Man U is not through Ratcliffe but through Dan Ashworth. It was Ashworth who shafted Chris Hughton at Brighton so Ashworth could bring in Potter (he was appointed technical director in February and Hughton was sacked in May). If Potter gets appointed at Man U it will be because Ashworth wants him there. And to be clear - Potter has done very little to warrant being appointed Man U manager (Southgate has a much better CV and he should still be way down the list).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I'm now more convinced than ever that it's Poyet. Though I will admit that the timing of his resignation does add some credence to NeverFeltBetter's Varadkar theory.
    The Varadkar and Kylie Minogue dream team ! !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    763 Posts
    Yeah, the more I think about it now, the more it looks like it will be Poyet. Especially if you look at his comments earlier in the year

"To manage a national team like that would be a privilege, and to play with that support would be spectacular.

"Saying that, right now, the timing is not right. I have got the play-off, I am focused on the play-off.

I don't think he had agreed the job at that point, but that's pretty much exactly what you'd expect someone who wants it but doesn't want to say it while employed by Greece to say.

Throw in that there doesn't seem to be any further comments beyond that and that Greece haven't offered him a new contract and therefore his contract runs out in 10 days and it does seem to all add up to Poyet being the man.

Unless the FAI are going to pull a rabbit out of the hat with Sagnol. That would be impressive, and therefore I fear it's beyond the capabilities of the association.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 21/03/2024 at 8:56 AM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

27. Thanks From:

Page 83 of 112 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast